ADVERTISEMENT

What is the second best city in Georgia?

allmnbros1

Letterman and National Champion
Dec 25, 2009
Augusta, GA
I'm assuming Atlanta and the surrounding areas are the best (size, amenities, etc.), but tell me what the second best city is and why

EDIT: I wasn't expecting the push back on my assumption that Atlanta was the best. I just assumed all the shopping, eating, recreation, music, sports, and transportation amenities you could want in one city would back it the best. That being said, maybe the thread should be, what is the Best City in Georgia? Go!

Last edited:
I'm assuming Atlanta and the surrounding areas are the best (size, amenities, etc.), but tell me what the second best city is and why

EDIT: I wasn't expecting the push back on my assumption that Atlanta was the best. I just assumed all the shopping, eating, recreation, music, sports, and transportation amenities you could want in one city would back it the best. That being said, maybe the thread should be, what is the Best City in Georgia? Go!
Not an ATL sucks guy personally. I enjoyed living there for a brief time. But you can get *most* of the amenities you describe and have a much better lifestyle - i.e not sitting in traffic for an hour to go five miles - in many other places in Ga. Granted, you lose some sports/entertainment options.

Reactions: rowland

Columbus

It depends on what you want and what you're looking for. Also "Atlanta" is really dependent on what neighborhood you're in (i.e. how walkable it is). I'm in a walkable neighborhood and it's great, but other places aren't so pedestrian friendly.

Savannah and Athens are nice. Macon, Augusta, and Columbus are nice places to stop on the interstate on your way to somewhere else. Don't even drive through Albany.

Also agree with @George Hayduke on Blue Ridge. We were up there recently, and it's pretty great.

Mostly you'll get Atlanta sucks from people who've lived in the burbs their whole life and don't really know a lot about the city. They are the ones that think the vortex has the best burgers (I can walk there and never go) or talk about how traffic is so awful (every major city has bad traffic I hate to tell you). I've lived on the east-side for 12 years, Va-Highlands, Morningside, Inman Park and now own a home in Candler Park. I love it here, from all the bars, restaurants and concert venues, to all the neighborhood festivals. My personal favorites are the Halloween Parade, Inman Park Fest, Candler Park Fest and Porch Fest this year was incredible. You really never run out of things to do, and the mountains are close by. I have great schools around me, and can walk my kid to school. I can walk every where from my dentist, to a concert or to pick up groceries. One of the few major cities left where there are houses with yards and skyscrapers in your back yard. It truly is a unique, quirky, and fun city. So with that said Atlanta is truly the best and I'd say Savannah is 2nd followed by Athens.

Parts of Atlanta metro area are great, most of Atlanta inside 285 is a shat hole.

It depends on what you want and what you're looking for. Also "Atlanta" is really dependent on what neighborhood you're in (i.e. how walkable it is). I'm in a walkable neighborhood and it's great, but other places aren't so pedestrian friendly.

Savannah and Athens are nice. Macon, Augusta, and Columbus are nice places to stop on the interstate on your way to somewhere else. Don't even drive through Albany.

Also agree with @George Hayduke on Blue Ridge. We were up there recently, and it's pretty great.
Mountain Towns are so tough to rank because I like them all. My favorite is Dahlonega, but right up there is Clayton, Eliljay and Blue Ridge.

Last edited:
Mostly you'll get Atlanta sucks from people who've lived in the burbs their whole life and don't really know a lot about the city. They are the ones that think the vortex has the best burgers (I can walk there and never go) or talk about how traffic is so awful (every major city has bad traffic I hate to tell you). I've lived on the east-side for 12 years, Va-Highlands, Morningside, Inman Park and now own a home in Candler Park. I love it here, from all the bars, restaurants and concert venues, to all the neighborhood festivals. My personal favorites are the Halloween Parade, Inman Park Fest, Candler Park Fest and Porch Fest this year was incredible. You really never run out of things to do, and the mountains are close by. I have great schools around me, and can walk my kid to school. I can walk every where from my dentist, to a concert or to pick up groceries. One of the few major cities left where there are houses with yards and skyscrapers in your back yard. It truly is a unique, quirky, and fun city. So with that said Atlanta is truly the best and I'd say Savannah is 2nd followed by Athens.
what's your favorite burger spot in Atlanta?

Reactions: RackEmDawg
@StrugglevilleDawg knows it...ask him if he don't
BMjTJk9P7iXAiiQklhiC5aUR3blzU9sZ6nQ_-czQYewxIyNT8C_JFaBxLj_YnCl8Wa4aJgvtykSUzZZowlbmxh-on4wH52aJB33VChjSvasF5hLghvRblipJKzMB03BkujTtuoiRpBzN1q3XQyVe80eFzzDeO0xBhoaI9ZbpIXtN4DewYCMT2KGzPJz2hpCeKB1pINM0j91m2IZfB28w5dFGQA3Lbvw_vLeAb4oVgkRTV66YIDAfnt-mt0vO-TBcK9c4sFvtoLft3d0dWcy2ZVLmcB6hmoXEngzEBfekBzIDDEX5kJv9tu2dLwm5X_LDH4lHQhsIIZlupan_57C7nylk5F1MJzkA6AeRoA4zx8e0T1BZKrOx5RDjHy4f4KesOYsOQKqi7Yt4GOdoDjLjmw0T5_fb_lpqwgodNvxHWtojSU3AXiHI4r7p_j3OPygJmcsIvjsjE1tWTnjDp5Qxeg9xn3XgtN0clj5V2Gpkm3yUiGcw3DgAKvtJyuT46-EBwM_7KxGNS2ezRNgZsq962zSyt3-PkhAYvHmfEdesLRmQN9ZSyB-mE2rJKx2UlHOM24cq3Gj5NcfxuGyMv3SeRRQ0L1oDJyz1ztmbGISHLEyumk0hiYY-T-zApjFqlxhY3vPyxf5lN6pooT1oA34tqjiL9gFxOd_mqpNAAYItZtgCT9jzPAHZVU-GrxCr2PrUeBL28pnv4_xQyy3bXt5btYA=w337-h253-no

This. I used to live in Candler Park and I absolutely loved it. I could walk everywhere or just jump on my bike. There was always something to do with the beltway right there, easy access to the Highland bars. I will concede that most of Atlanta is not great though and it really depends on the neighborhood. I live by the battery now and I like it, but my fiancee and I are just about done with the city and ready to move to or closer to Athens.

TL;DR: Some spots in ATL are cool, but Athens is my answer.

Royston. The home of the legendary Ty Cobb (also where the film was made starring the great Tommy Lee Jones). They even have his wooden dentures on display at the museum.

what's your favorite burger spot in Atlanta?
It use to be One Eared Stagg, but they went out of business bc of covid. It's between the Albert and a Grindhouse Hillbilly for me. Hero Donuts is pretty darn good too. I miss the old Braves Stadium Holman and Fitch. Since they cooked 100's at a time the patties cooked in their own greese. It was out of this world and can't be replicated at their main location. Like wings in Atlanta there isn't one unanimous favorite wing spot or burger. Everyone here has their own favorite.

Atlanta sucks, monroe,ga.

• Haha
Reactions: stray
Strong reasons why Atlanta is excellent. But it isn't for everyone and I get that. I also like Athens, Blue Ridge, and St. Simons

Atlanta is not bad. It’s better than Trenton New Jersey the southside of Chicago or Flint Michigan for example.

It use to be One Eared Stagg, but they went out of business bc of covid. It's between the Albert and a Grindhouse Hillbilly for me. Hero Donuts is pretty darn good too. I miss the old Braves Stadium Holman and Fitch. Since they cooked 100's at a time the patties cooked in their own greese. It was out of this world and can't be replicated at their main location. Like wings in Atlanta there isn't one unanimous favorite wing spot or burger. Everyone here has their own favorite.
I enjoy Grindhouse. Haven't been to the others. Best I've had was at Ann's Snack Bar.

would you call yourself Metro Sexual????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT