ADVERTISEMENT

What is the second best city in Georgia?

I used to love to go to the tastee freez in Eatonton. My Uncle was a big dairy farmer back in the day in Eatonton. Uncle Remus museum used to be there. later on, there was some huge nuwaubian compound built. Eatonton, very interesting place.

It was gone before I got here. I grew up in south GA, but Lake Sinclair brought me here. I love the location too. Hour 15 to Athens, Hour 30 to Atlanta, hour to Macon, 20 mins to Milly (which is also an underrated lake/college town), 20 mins to Lake Oconee/restaurants etc. Uncle Remus is still here! I think it’s a hidden gem. The lake life is really really really hard to beat.

Reactions: AUGdog
Atlanta is the worst. For reasons that can be discussed on the chat.
I had to edit my posts for that reason. No use in getting the thread locked or moved to the thread graveyard AKA the Chat.

Admittedly I cannot stand cities so I’m not objective but man some of the streets off of dresden in Brookhaven would not be a bad way to live. Very nice, quiet, safe with a lot to do. And a ton of talent obviously

Reactions: borodawg
I'm assuming Atlanta and the surrounding areas are the best (size, amenities, etc.), but tell me what the second best city is and why

EDIT: I wasn't expecting the push back on my assumption that Atlanta was the best. I just assumed all the shopping, eating, recreation, music, sports, and transportation amenities you could want in one city would back it the best. That being said, maybe the thread should be, what is the Best City in Georgia? Go!
Sky Valley.

Reactions: 78DAWG
What thr hell would someone from Donaldsonville know about a city…That it has a red light…
I know buy your statement you have been 200 yards of the interstate in Macon and Augusta
You may not know this, but people can be born in one place and move to others. It literally says in the post you quoted that I live in Atlanta (I’ve also lived in other cities in Georgia I have referred to in this thread).

Also, Donalsonville has three (3) red lights.

Last edited:
@StrugglevilleDawg knows it...ask him if he don't
BMjTJk9P7iXAiiQklhiC5aUR3blzU9sZ6nQ_-czQYewxIyNT8C_JFaBxLj_YnCl8Wa4aJgvtykSUzZZowlbmxh-on4wH52aJB33VChjSvasF5hLghvRblipJKzMB03BkujTtuoiRpBzN1q3XQyVe80eFzzDeO0xBhoaI9ZbpIXtN4DewYCMT2KGzPJz2hpCeKB1pINM0j91m2IZfB28w5dFGQA3Lbvw_vLeAb4oVgkRTV66YIDAfnt-mt0vO-TBcK9c4sFvtoLft3d0dWcy2ZVLmcB6hmoXEngzEBfekBzIDDEX5kJv9tu2dLwm5X_LDH4lHQhsIIZlupan_57C7nylk5F1MJzkA6AeRoA4zx8e0T1BZKrOx5RDjHy4f4KesOYsOQKqi7Yt4GOdoDjLjmw0T5_fb_lpqwgodNvxHWtojSU3AXiHI4r7p_j3OPygJmcsIvjsjE1tWTnjDp5Qxeg9xn3XgtN0clj5V2Gpkm3yUiGcw3DgAKvtJyuT46-EBwM_7KxGNS2ezRNgZsq962zSyt3-PkhAYvHmfEdesLRmQN9ZSyB-mE2rJKx2UlHOM24cq3Gj5NcfxuGyMv3SeRRQ0L1oDJyz1ztmbGISHLEyumk0hiYY-T-zApjFqlxhY3vPyxf5lN6pooT1oA34tqjiL9gFxOd_mqpNAAYItZtgCT9jzPAHZVU-GrxCr2PrUeBL28pnv4_xQyy3bXt5btYA=w337-h253-no
Unfortunately, this cannot qualify for #2 as it already sits at #1.

Mostly you'll get Atlanta sucks from people who've lived in the burbs their whole life and don't really know a lot about the city. They are the ones that think the vortex has the best burgers (I can walk there and never go) or talk about how traffic is so awful (every major city has bad traffic I hate to tell you). I've lived on the east-side for 12 years, Va-Highlands, Morningside, Inman Park and now own a home in Candler Park. I love it here, from all the bars, restaurants and concert venues, to all the neighborhood festivals. My personal favorites are the Halloween Parade, Inman Park Fest, Candler Park Fest and Porch Fest this year was incredible. You really never run out of things to do, and the mountains are close by. I have great schools around me, and can walk my kid to school. I can walk every where from my dentist, to a concert or to pick up groceries. One of the few major cities left where there are houses with yards and skyscrapers in your back yard. It truly is a unique, quirky, and fun city. So with that said Atlanta is truly the best and I'd say Savannah is 2nd followed by Athens.
I agree...and I'm from Savannah. The area where you live is one of best inner city neighborhoods in the US.

I'm assuming Atlanta and the surrounding areas are the best (size, amenities, etc.), but tell me what the second best city is and why

EDIT: I wasn't expecting the push back on my assumption that Atlanta was the best. I just assumed all the shopping, eating, recreation, music, sports, and transportation amenities you could want in one city would back it the best. That being said, maybe the thread should be, what is the Best City in Georgia? Go!
You were expecting the pushback? Wtf? Where do you reside? Last time you visited ATL?

Reactions: aadco

Is this a trick question? Athens!

Mostly you'll get Atlanta sucks from people who've lived in the burbs their whole life and don't really know a lot about the city. They are the ones that think the vortex has the best burgers (I can walk there and never go) or talk about how traffic is so awful (every major city has bad traffic I hate to tell you). I've lived on the east-side for 12 years, Va-Highlands, Morningside, Inman Park and now own a home in Candler Park. I love it here, from all the bars, restaurants and concert venues, to all the neighborhood festivals. My personal favorites are the Halloween Parade, Inman Park Fest, Candler Park Fest and Porch Fest this year was incredible. You really never run out of things to do, and the mountains are close by. I have great schools around me, and can walk my kid to school. I can walk every where from my dentist, to a concert or to pick up groceries. One of the few major cities left where there are houses with yards and skyscrapers in your back yard. It truly is a unique, quirky, and fun city. So with that said Atlanta is truly the best and I'd say Savannah is 2nd followed by Athens.

bs2.gif

Reactions: andyuga27

I can only rank the three that I've spent the most time in...Wrightsville, Sandersvile and Athens...of which, Athens is surprisingly the best...

Reactions: rocky comfort dawg
Lived in Savannah after UGA, loved it, Classic City, no comment needed. Been in Cartersville for 25 years now and we love it also.
I have been lucky to live in some of the best in GA. You could not pay me enough to live in ATL.

1. Athens
2. Cartersville
3. Savannah

Blairsville IMO. Always enjoy my trips there.

I'm not a huge fan of big cities, but to each their own.

Also, Decatur is the WORST city in Georgia.

I have always said…..ATL has the greatest suburbs of any major city in America. Inside the perimeter has some excellent qualities, but they cant Make up for the total crap that exist inside the perimeter.
Best City in GA……too many to name….all either south of Macon or North of Gainesville
2nd best is unimportant.

Reactions: atldawg58

1. Pearaon
2. Gray

Historic DT Alpharetta

These posts always turn into people justifying their life choices rather than just . . . explaining what it is they like. The burbs are great for folks who like to cook, want space, and for social interaction between kids. They aren't as great for cultural attractions, rows of unique restaurants, or walking. At different stages of life I've preferred one over the other, and if you have a family or demanding career, your own choices are often subservient to what's best for your family (tip: most 7 year olds don't want to go to a museum unless it has a scary dinosaur; but wonderful that your Elliot loves it even though my Nick thinks it's boring).

When I retire I may prefer something totally different. Either way, I love hearing about what people like about each place, but usually when you are trashing another place, it's because you have different interests, and for some odd reason folks need to rationalize life choices. Trashing another community won't make yours any better. Unless it's Gainesville, Florida, in which case, that's just common damn sense.

These posts always turn into people justifying their life choices rather than just . . . explaining what it is they like. The burbs are great for folks who like to cook, want space, and for social interaction between kids. They aren't as great for cultural attractions, rows of unique restaurants, or walking. At different stages of life I've preferred one over the other, and if you have a family or demanding career, your own choices are often subservient to what's best for your family (tip: most 7 year olds don't want to go to a museum unless it has a scary dinosaur; but wonderful that your Elliot loves it even though my Nick thinks it's boring).

When I retire I may prefer something totally different. Either way, I love hearing about what people like about each place, but usually when you are trashing another place, it's because you have different interests, and for some odd reason folks need to rationalize life choices. Trashing another community won't make yours any better. Unless it's Gainesville, Florida, in which case, that's just common damn sense.

/thread

Atlanta is awesome if you don't have to worry about someone stealing your tires, car; busting your windows, getting shot....

You left out the crime rate, But agree re: Vortex, terribly overrated.

What's sad is my area has gotten a lot safer even durning the pandemic while the hoods on the Southwest side have got more dangerous. I've noticed a sharp decline in crime over the years I've been here and still do now. Crime has been fine over on the east side. Those protest and anti-police mentality have hurt the communities they claim to want to save. Also don't forget the per capita crime rate in those darling mountain towns are high because of the meth heads.

I’d say those mid size cities like Carrollton , Rome statesboro, tifton, oh and Ephesus

Will say this about the Vortex (if I'm allowed to post it). Suzanne Benoit, who started the restaurant with her brother, said one of the funniest, most personal things things ever uttered to me - "The two happiest days of my life were the day I got a divorce and the day I got my first clitoral ring".

Atlanta is terrible.

Athens is the best, SHOCKED that wasn’t my your first choice.

I really like Carrollton. Only thing missing is high end restaurants, but you can go
To places for that.

ADVERTISEMENT