ADVERTISEMENT

What is the second best city in Georgia?

I'm assuming Atlanta and the surrounding areas are the best (size, amenities, etc.), but tell me what the second best city is and why

EDIT: I wasn't expecting the push back on my assumption that Atlanta was the best. I just assumed all the shopping, eating, recreation, music, sports, and transportation amenities you could want in one city would back it the best. That being said, maybe the thread should be, what is the Best City in Georgia? Go!
I can’t believe there are no votes for Woodstock. Voted 17th best city in the country. Great downtown with good music scene with Madlife and summer concerts at Amphitheater

Savannah is the only answer. Beach , fishing , boating , smoking hot ladies and an extremely high rate of alcoholism.

Reactions: aadco
I like Atlanta, but Athens is the best to me. I love that place and it never gets old. I could go up there on a random Wednesday and enjoy it. Don't even need a Gameday

I’ve lived in Atlanta, Athens, Augusta, columbus, and Macon. And the only thing we can all agree upon is the Macon is the arm pit of Georgia.

Reactions: Lumpdawg and aadco
How about explain to the unwashed how a man getting shot at 8:30 in the morning while taking exercise needs to be put into context.
Absolutely. It sucks what happened to that guy - it’s near my neighborhood actually so I felt that. At the same time, the rise in crime in Atlanta over the last year is commiserate with the rise in crime in basically every city while still being historically low. So while that one anecdote absolutely sucks, it doesn’t mean crime in Atlanta is any worse than its peers.

I'm assuming Atlanta and the surrounding areas are the best (size, amenities, etc.), but tell me what the second best city is and why

EDIT: I wasn't expecting the push back on my assumption that Atlanta was the best. I just assumed all the shopping, eating, recreation, music, sports, and transportation amenities you could want in one city would back it the best. That being said, maybe the thread should be, what is the Best City in Georgia? Go!
LOL. Atlanta is a joke. You lost me there. My old friends that still live there can’t flee fast enough. Not much room left in the actual best city in the state, Athens. Better be ready to pay up.

Reactions: aadco
Absolutely. It sucks what happened to that guy - it’s near my neighborhood actually so I felt that. At the same time, the rise in crime in Atlanta over the last year is commiserate with the rise in crime in basically every city while still being historically low. So while that one anecdote absolutely sucks, it doesn’t mean crime in Atlanta is any worse than its peers.
Dude, just stop. I work in Atl but live in Athens. The crime in Atl is beyond insane. We are evaluating and monitoring as part of re-entry to office. Folks don’t want any part of going back and we have seen nearly 10% of our workforce move since mid last year. Survey asked why. 96% cited crime.

True that
I get that appalling crime happens in all big cities, and that Atlanta cannot be considered worse than its peers, but since the original question was about the desirability of places to live in Georgia
I hold that a man getting shot in an affluent neighborhood is a serious issue .
I live in an affluent neighborhood in Savannah and nobody’s gotten shot around here while walking. Last weekend however there was quite an issue with a teenage girl walking down the street in the tiniest excuse for a thong you’ve ever seen
She definitely violated my safe space.

Dude, just stop. I work in Atl but live in Athens. The crime in Atl is beyond insane. We are evaluating and monitoring as part of re-entry to office. Folks don’t want any part of going back and we have seen nearly 10% of our workforce move since mid last year. Survey asked why. 96% cited crime.
I also like anecdotes that lack context.

Everything I said is true: every major city has seen a rise in crime this past year. Atlanta isn’t immune to that. And, like I also said, it’s still historically low.

Mostly you'll get Atlanta sucks from people who've lived in the burbs their whole life and don't really know a lot about the city. They are the ones that think the vortex has the best burgers (I can walk there and never go) or talk about how traffic is so awful (every major city has bad traffic I hate to tell you). I've lived on the east-side for 12 years, Va-Highlands, Morningside, Inman Park and now own a home in Candler Park. I love it here, from all the bars, restaurants and concert venues, to all the neighborhood festivals. My personal favorites are the Halloween Parade, Inman Park Fest, Candler Park Fest and Porch Fest this year was incredible. You really never run out of things to do, and the mountains are close by. I have great schools around me, and can walk my kid to school. I can walk every where from my dentist, to a concert or to pick up groceries. One of the few major cities left where there are houses with yards and skyscrapers in your back yard. It truly is a unique, quirky, and fun city. So with that said Atlanta is truly the best and I'd say Savannah is 2nd followed by Athens.
Howdy neighbor. This side of the city is wonderful and I think most who only go to games downtown don’t know!

• Love
Reactions: RackEmDawg
Those who hate Atlanta can you elaborate on your experience in city? Not what you’ve seen in the news or heard but your actual visits.

Im curious about your first hand stories especially if they extend beyond a trip to see the Dawgs play in the Mercedes Benz or the Georgia Dome.

I also like anecdotes that lack context.

Everything I said is true: every major city has seen a rise in crime this past year. Atlanta isn’t immune to that. And, like I also said, it’s still historically low.
Anecdotally, and no offense to you friend, but Atlanta is a hellhole. Even my most hardcore Atliens readily admit it.

Being from Augusta (and living in Houston) I’m surprised that none of these cities have made anyone’s lists this far:
- St. Simons
- Thomasville
- Rome

If I were to rank them I’d say:
1. Athens
2. Savannah

Also @donalsonville_dawg I’d like to know where you can “not use your car” in Atlanta. There’s not a city in the entire South that you can do that.

Anecdotally, and no offense to you friend, but Atlanta is a hellhole. Even my most hardcore Atliens readily
Being from Augusta (and living in Houston) I’m surprised that none of these cities have made anyone’s lists this far:
- St. Simons
- Thomasville
- Rome

1. Athens
2. Savannah

Also @donalsonville_dawg I’d like to know where you can “not use your car” in Atlanta. There’s not a city in the entire South that you can do that.
Aside from driving for field work I could mostly go without a car. Pretty much could walk to anything and I do generally avoid driving much on weekends.

Most of what folks are doing on this side of town is hanging out on our front porches with neighbors and walking to dinner or pre pandemic a festival.

Someone snidely said there are lots of folks drinking craft beer and having birthday parties for their dogs which is probably more Inman park than where I live but hilarious anyway.

Crime has risen for sure but I would not hesitate to walk right down to Mercedes Benz or Centennial Park or up the Beltline to Piedmont. There are just lots of people in some of these neighborhoods that used to be quieter. Some of that is good and some bad.

Reactions: rectomo
These posts always turn into people justifying their life choices rather than just . . . explaining what it is they like. The burbs are great for folks who like to cook, want space, and for social interaction between kids. They aren't as great for cultural attractions, rows of unique restaurants, or walking. At different stages of life I've preferred one over the other, and if you have a family or demanding career, your own choices are often subservient to what's best for your family (tip: most 7 year olds don't want to go to a museum unless it has a scary dinosaur; but wonderful that your Elliot loves it even though my Nick thinks it's boring).

When I retire I may prefer something totally different. Either way, I love hearing about what people like about each place, but usually when you are trashing another place, it's because you have different interests, and for some odd reason folks need to rationalize life choices. Trashing another community won't make yours any better. Unless it's Gainesville, Florida, in which case, that's just common damn sense.
Suffice it to say there are enough choices out there for most everyone to find a place they can call their own.

I don't mind someone making a grandiose or overarching statement if they can back it up factually. Unfortunately, too many tend to be subjective rather than objective with their observations and opinions. It's mostly intellectual laziness. It's not very difficult to say "I like Blairsville" or "I don't like Blairsville". We all have our likes and dislikes, nothing wrong with that. But if you say "Blairsville is the greatest/worst place in the world" then it should be incumbent on you to prove your statement.

But everything’s cooler in Pooler
I’d rather be in Tignall. It’s painted right there on the it water tower.

As for Atlanta, ask an expert, I lived there 40 years, and it’s no better for its growth. I’ve been on every major street in Atlanta when I worked for watershed, I could get across the city in 15 minutes during rush hour, but those days are over. Except for small pocket neighborhood. those boasting of walking through the city are forced to walk, and seldom walk. The last two times I tried to get from the top of the perimeter to the airport, it took over two hours, on the weekend. You might live on what you carry on your back to your house, but I don’t, and don’t want to live like that, Give me a Publix and a Costco. Traffic will be the death of this town— some kind of laws could be passed, but when you reduce outside the neighborhood traffic, you increase inside the neighborhood traffic, because they can drive again.

Last edited:
I’d rather be in Tignall. It’s painted right there on the it water tower.

As for Atlanta, ask an expert, I lived there 40 years, and it’s no better for its growth. I’ve been on every major street in Atlanta when I worked for watershed, I could get across the city in 15 minutes during rush hour, but those days are over. Except for small pocket neighborhood. those boasting of walking through the city are forced to walk, and seldom walk. The last two times I tried to get from the top of the perimeter to the airport, it took over two hours, on the weekend. You might live on what you carry on your back to your house, but I don’t, and don’t want to live like that, Give me a Publix and a Costco. Traffic will be the death of this town— some kind of laws could be passed, but when you reduce outside the neighborhood traffic, you increase inside the neighborhood traffic, because they can drive again.
I spent 22 years driving 45,000 + miles a year in metro Atlanta and largely agree. The lack of a comprehensive public train system is the gift that keeps on giving and the problem that keeps on growing.

Atlanta continues to build multi-use developments with little consideration of the infrastructure and traffic impact.

Reactions: SLC_Dawg
1) Rome: Ever been to Rome, GA picked peaches off the trees...
2) Cartersville: If you find a dive down in Cartersville, Ga theirs a dude with a Bulldog tattoo in the corner?

The problem with Atlanta is that it is growing at an exponential rate and the city can’t (or won’t) build any new roads or expand the old ones. At some point they are going to have to double deck the connector but I bet they don’t even try for 50 years.

I spent 22 years driving 45,000 + miles a year in metro Atlanta and largely agree. The lack of a comprehensive public train system is the gift that keeps on giving and the problem that keeps on growing.

Atlanta continues to build multi-use developments with little consideration of the infrastructure and traffic impact.

Yeah the lack of foresight and the reasons behind it have truly made Atlanta an absolute disaster to travel about.

- St. Simons
- Thomasville
- Rome

1. Athens
2. Savannah

I couldn't believe SSI wasn't mentioned.

Reactions: ggr1986 and aadco
I’ve lived in Atlanta, Athens, Augusta, columbus, and Macon. And the only thing we can all agree upon is the Macon is the arm pit of Georgia.
I would have to give that to Sparta, but it is a shame what has happened to Macon over the last 40 years. It was a great southern city, and just fell to crap. I lived in north Macon (Zebulon Road) seven years ago, and that is the only area I would just about even consider moving to there.

Reactions: George Hayduke
The problem with Atlanta is that it is growing at an exponential rate and the city can’t (or won’t) build any new roads or expand the old ones. At some point they are going to have to double deck the connector but I bet they don’t even try for 50 years.

Depends on what you call Atlanta. In the city itself the growth is excellent and generally means thriving neighborhoods that don't have to be left for most things.

Now if you are talking about the mess of the metro suburbs that is another thing.

Madison!

Not an ATL sucks guy personally. I enjoyed living there for a brief time. But you can get *most* of the amenities you describe and have a much better lifestyle - i.e not sitting in traffic for an hour to go five miles - in many other places in Ga. Granted, you lose some sports/entertainment options.
Atlanta sports? Athens is year-around big time college sports, many free, watch Olympic athletes, etc., and then walk to Five Points for food and drink and walk home if live in Five Points. Plus about any kind of interest you have you can be involved due to UGA, TD Club, QB Club, on and on. Ten min drive down Milledge past sorority row is interesting on way to events at Athens Country Club (we’re not members but many events and activities there). Great medical care. County Gov becoming like CA Left though.

Mostly you'll get Atlanta sucks from people who've lived in the burbs their whole life and don't really know a lot about the city. They are the ones that think the vortex has the best burgers (I can walk there and never go) or talk about how traffic is so awful (every major city has bad traffic I hate to tell you). I've lived on the east-side for 12 years, Va-Highlands, Morningside, Inman Park and now own a home in Candler Park. I love it here, from all the bars, restaurants and concert venues, to all the neighborhood festivals. My personal favorites are the Halloween Parade, Inman Park Fest, Candler Park Fest and Porch Fest this year was incredible. You really never run out of things to do, and the mountains are close by. I have great schools around me, and can walk my kid to school. I can walk every where from my dentist, to a concert or to pick up groceries. One of the few major cities left where there are houses with yards and skyscrapers in your back yard. It truly is a unique, quirky, and fun city. So with that said Atlanta is truly the best and I'd say Savannah is 2nd followed by Athens.
Facts

Reactions: RackEmDawg
You left out the crime rate, But agree re: Vortex, terribly overrated.

Sshhhhh
Forgot about the pregnant woman getting stabbed 4 times while walking...

If I could live anywhere in Ga (like snap my fingers and have an equal job, home, etc to where I live now), it would be Athens.

Those who hate Atlanta can you elaborate on your experience in city? Not what you’ve seen in the news or heard but your actual visits.

Im curious about your first hand stories especially if they extend beyond a trip to see the Dawgs play in the Mercedes Benz or the Georgia Dome.

car broken into and cleaned out. Two years later a different car stolen. Friends daughter raped 1995. Harassed going into a Braves stadium with my kids when they were still downtown. Once took an hour and 45 minutes to go from 75 to 85 across the top of the city. The airport is a greyhound bus station with a better budget. There’s really nothing about Atlanta outside of a few restaurants that I care to experience anymore. Lenox Mall is a high crime zone. And don’t say I’m a city phobe -I have spent a ton of time in Manhattan and could totally have lived there but Atlanta sorry to say is a shit sandwich
Don’t get me wrong I’ve done a lot of fun things and had a lot of fun in Atlanta but it’s nothing but urban blight to alot of us now

Reactions: NedRacineDawg
1. Athens
2. Hoboken

giphy.gif
Hoboken or Hortense.

Reactions: hobokengeorgia

Seriously couldn’t pay me a million$ to live in Atlanta! Wish Georgia could give california the city of Atlanta

Reactions: CairoDawgs
ADVERTISEMENT