ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE What we know heading into LJ McCray's decision

JedMay

Pillar of the DawgVent
Staff
May 24, 2021
Forty-eight hours from now, LJ McCray will be off the board.

The top five is Georgia, Florida State, Florida, Miami, and Auburn. This has seemed for a while like a battle between the Bulldogs, Gators, and Seminoles and continues to look that way heading into the home stretch.

I don't believe any staff knows McCray's intentions for sure just yet. That may remain the case all the way up to the decision itself. He told John Garcia a couple of weeks ago that he was torn between his options and it appears this decision is still coming down to the wire.

McCray hasn't been to Athens since the cookout event on the last weekend of July. Florida hosted him for the big win over Tennessee. Florida State hosted him a couple of weekends ago for an official visit. He hasn't taken any other visits since then.

Both Georgia and Florida State have recent development to sell. Georgia has among others Travon Walker, who spoke with McCray on his official visit. The Seminoles have names such as Jermaine Johnson and current player Jared Verse.

Both Florida and Florida State have the advantage as far as being closer to home, although Florida State's advantage there compared to Georgia isn't a huge one. There are some family members who like what the Gators are selling according to UGASports sources.

As with most recruitments nowadays, NIL will factor in. How much it weighs in isn't exactly clear, as it never is, but we do know Florida State is willing to plunk down some cash for some big names.

One source I spoke with this week expressed that Georgia still has hope, but there's also a thought that Florida State will be the pick. That's kind of where I'm at at this point.

Could it be Georgia? Absolutely. But if I had to bet my paycheck (if I got one) on it, I would pick Florida State. We'll see how this thing continues to develop heading into Saturday.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.