ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Why are announcers not back in stadiums and traveling?

MasonR98

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Jun 13, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
Seems safe to do so now. The post season college baseball coverage on ESPN is pretty horrible with announcers calling from their living room. The camera work is abysmal for this Virginia game as well.

also yes I know MLB has crews at home games. But, for whatever reason they still aren’t traveling.

Seems safe to do so now. The post season college baseball coverage on ESPN is pretty horrible with announcers calling from their living room. The camera work is abysmal for this Virginia game as well.

also yes I know MLB has crews at home games. But, for whatever reason they still aren’t traveling.
Cost cutting measure. No travel expense, no lodging, no meals. All about saving money where they can.

Businesses of all sorts doing this. Many of us are talking about how productive we were at home. Want to keep working that way. So businesses have decided, ok, no need to pay for travel. Everybody was productive without it.

:oops:

What is it hurting for them to call it from a remote location? One thing the pandemic showed is that there are a lot of jobs that can be done away from the traditional office setting. So why force them to return just because there will always be some who question why they're not back in the office. I'm all for it as long as the job gets done in a satisfactorily manner. Plus, it saves a lot of money on travel costs as well.

I’ll admit it was very weird watching the announcers talking about how electric the environment was in Knoxville last night while sitting in their living rooms.

One thing I hate about television personalities broadcasting from their home whether news or sports are the stupid things they intentionally place on their bookcases for the viewer to see.

no reason for them to be…..never understood why they were once tech caught up. Like these baseball games your number 1 crew can work the best game each day.

What do you truly gain by those guys being on the road? I would be willing to bet most MLB fans didn’t realize they were still calling the road games from Atlanta anyway. Why spend all the money on travel for that army of announcers & beat writers when it’s completely unnecessary?

What do you truly gain by those guys being on the road? I would be willing to bet most MLB fans didn’t realize they were still calling the road games from Atlanta anyway. Why spend all the money on travel for that army of announcers & beat writers when it’s completely unnecessary?

I’d argue there is value for the beat writers to be round the players and be able to speak to them after the games, at the hotels, etc in person.

Reactions: DawgWCK
There is absolutely a difference when they do not call the games from the stadiums. You can tell a difference. There are a lot of things you can pick up in person that the camera does not show. What is the point of having announcers if they are watching the same feed as the fans??

There is absolutely a difference when they do not call the games from the stadiums. You can tell a difference. There are a lot of things you can pick up in person that the camera does not show. What is the point of having announcers if they are watching the same feed as the fans??
The average MLB fan cannot tell the difference. A baseball purist maybe, but baseball is not gaining or losing new fans on whether or not announcers are physically at the games. Is there a difference? Sure. Is it enough to warrant the travel expenses of putting all those announcers & beat writers on the road for 80 games a year? No, I don't think so, not with today's technology.

Cost cutting measure. No travel expense, no lodging, no meals. All about saving money where they can.
Seems weird that they're having announcers announce from home for the super regionals, meanwhile for the SEC tourney they had a full crew there and did a lot of coverage of that tournament. I know one of the guys said that they drove there while the rest flew in

We've got the game muted and radio going anyways because the commentary is so bad in this Arkansas game

Reactions: WRobinsDawg
Seems weird that they're having announcers announce from home for the super regionals, meanwhile for the SEC tourney they had a full crew there and did a lot of coverage of that tournament. I know one of the guys said that they drove there while the rest flew in

We've got the game muted and radio going anyways because the commentary is so bad in this Arkansas game

I wonder how many people Arkansas could get into this game if they had the seating capacity for it.

Reactions: Finance Dawg
The Hawks game Friday night on ESPN was awful. Broadcast was delayed slightly at times and the sound was awful. Announcers need to be at the games for the best experience. Although the Braves do a good job with their away broadcast.

Reactions: alpha.q
It is rather annoying when they try to announce it as if you were there. Chip Carey regularly points out he’s in Atlanta which I think helps.

My guess is ESPN trying to save money
And they have to save money because they keep losing viewers and are getting less revenue. I haven't watched ESPN for anything other than SEC football games in more than 10 years. Haven't seen a minute of Sportscenter in much longer than that.

The funny thing is about cost savings, is they are pinching the pennies trying to save the enterprise, which will only turn off viewers even more and result in lower viewership anyway. Fake fans in seats, no announcer in the stadium - how long until it isn't any different than a simulated video game?

Meanwhile they are paying $100's of millions for rights to broadcast games and nobody under 35 will ever pay for cable. Sure, they get some money from their subscription app, but their revenue stream will never be what it once was.

Reactions: blackpug6
ADVERTISEMENT