ADVERTISEMENT

Wonder if this had anything to do with the spread in NYC?

Dirty Hairy Dawg

War Daddy
Gold Member
May 29, 2001

Important Service Changes

NYC Parks is making important service changes. Find out more about our additional safety precautions, program cancellations, and potential closures before you head to a park or recreation center.

For more information, please visit our Service Announcements page.

NYC Parks

Official Website of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

Things to Do > Events Calendar > 21st Chinatown Lunar New Year Parade and Festival

21st Chinatown Lunar New Year Parade and Festival
Add to Calendar
Sunday, February 9, 2020

1:00 p.m.4:00 p.m.

Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.

Head to Chinatown in Manhattan to check out the annual Lunar New Year Parade for amazing visuals, delicious treats, and mesmerizing cultural performances. This parade features all sorts of vendors, food, and festivities for all ages to welcome the Year of the Rat.

The parade starts at 1:00 p.m. Show up early to grab a prime spot along the route!

Visit Better Chinatown USA's website to view a map of the parade route.

Manhattan
Directions to this location
Cost
Free

Event Organizer
Better Chinatown USA,

Categories
Festivals, Food, Lunar New Year

Search Events
Keyword or Park Name
From
To
Time of Day
DayEvening
Categories
All CategoriesArtArts & CraftsBest for KidsBirdingDanceEducationFilmFitnessHikingHistoryNatureTalksToursVolunteerWildlife
More Categories
Type
Events in Accessible LocationsFree Events“Must See” Events

Well, our own governor won't close beaches on the coast or issue a statewide order to shelter in place despite multiple calls to do so from mayors / county commissioners / managers / health officials / hospitals. I think he's afraid to take any action stronger than the White House out of a fear of upsetting his base. That's my take but then again maybe he just doesn't think very well.

Reactions: nice marmot
Well, our own governor won't close beaches on the coast or issue a statewide order to shelter in place despite multiple calls to do so from mayors / county commissioners / managers / health officials / hospitals. I think he's afraid to take any action stronger than the White House out of a fear of upsetting his base. That's my take but then again maybe he just doesn't think very well.

Counties and cities can do that all by themselves. If they aren’t, they don’t think it’s important right now or they are too chickenshit to take the political risk. Don’t blame the governor, that’s on the local government.

Counties and cities can do that all by themselves. If they aren’t, they don’t think it’s important right now or they are too chickenshit to take the political risk. Don’t blame the governor, that’s on the local government.
I respectfully disagree. That approach is too fragmented. Leadership starts at the top. It does little to no good if Macon does it and Warner Robbins, Americus, and Albany don't. Or you say don't congregate but then leave beaches open to attract college kids who all they wanna do is screw? They possibly get to take home the virus and an STD as a bonus. Piss poor leadership, IMO.

I respectfully disagree. That approach is too fragmented. Leadership starts at the top. It does little to no good if Macon does it and Warner Robbins, Americus, and Albany don't. Or you say don't congregate but then leave beaches open to attract college kids who all they wanna do is screw? They possibly get to take home the virus and an STD as a bonus. Piss poor leadership, IMO.

You suggested county commissioners and city councils were begging the Governor to do something that they can do themselves. None of them has any room to complain if they don’t take those steps on their own.

The Governor has made it abundantly clear to Georgians that this should be taken seriously. No Georgia governor had ever declared a public health emergency until now. The State Government has been responsive and supportive of the cities, counties, and hospitals and is mobilizing for what’s ahead. There aren’t any simple solutions to this problem and things are certainly going to get worse before they get better. But I think the response so far has been timely and well measured.

BTW, I honestly didn’t know college kids went to Georgia beaches unless it was for the Cocktail Party. Is college spring break really a thing at Jekyll and St. Simons? I don’t recall anyone ever going down there until October.

POTUS is commander and chief of the armed forces, not the 50 states or as obummer said 57 states. Thats why you have governors. Each state is different and needs different rules or none at all. Rural SD/ND does not need the same rules as downtown nyc/chicago etc.

Yep that's why they are having almost daily calls with the governors. As you said each state and even local is much different.

You suggested county commissioners and city councils were begging the Governor to do something that they can do themselves. None of them has any room to complain if they don’t take those steps on their own.

The Governor has made it abundantly clear to Georgians that this should be taken seriously. No Georgia governor had ever declared a public health emergency until now. The State Government has been responsive and supportive of the cities, counties, and hospitals and is mobilizing for what’s ahead. There aren’t any simple solutions to this problem and things are certainly going to get worse before they get better. But I think the response so far has been timely and well measured.

BTW, I honestly didn’t know college kids went to Georgia beaches unless it was for the Cocktail Party. Is college spring break really a thing at Jekyll and St. Simons? I don’t recall anyone ever going down there until October.
You completely missed the point up above. Making something clear in a press release or presser is not leadership. It requires actually acting to protect Georgians. A scattershot county-by-county or city-by-city approach is ineffective at any hope of containment or even slowing the infection rate. You have to slow people and make them maintain their distance from others. That has been widely documented and articulated on multiple levels and there's now evidence that the drastic measures taken in Rochelle, NY, are showing positive results. Gee, imagine what could be done if the governor took a similarly scaled approach statewide. And yes, shocking as it may be, the beaches on SSI and Tybee were well stocked with college kids just this past weekend. Go figure.

Important Service Changes

NYC Parks is making important service changes. Find out more about our additional safety precautions, program cancellations, and potential closures before you head to a park or recreation center.

For more information, please visit our Service Announcements page.

NYC Parks

Official Website of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

Things to Do > Events Calendar > 21st Chinatown Lunar New Year Parade and Festival

21st Chinatown Lunar New Year Parade and Festival
Add to Calendar
Sunday, February 9, 2020

1:00 p.m.4:00 p.m.

Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.

Head to Chinatown in Manhattan to check out the annual Lunar New Year Parade for amazing visuals, delicious treats, and mesmerizing cultural performances. This parade features all sorts of vendors, food, and festivities for all ages to welcome the Year of the Rat.

The parade starts at 1:00 p.m. Show up early to grab a prime spot along the route!

Visit Better Chinatown USA's website to view a map of the parade route.

Manhattan
Directions to this location
Cost
Free

Event Organizer
Better Chinatown USA,

Categories
Festivals, Food, Lunar New Year

Search Events
Keyword or Park Name
From
To
Time of Day
DayEvening
Categories
All CategoriesArtArts & CraftsBest for KidsBirdingDanceEducationFilmFitnessHikingHistoryNatureTalksToursVolunteerWildlife
More Categories
Type
Events in Accessible LocationsFree Events“Must See” Events
Yes it did

Okay, when Georgia health officials are on the record promoting a gathering that will bring 500K in close contact with each other over the course of a week and the Governor doesn't do all he can to stop the event, let me know. Also, I don't see Kemp on the tube every day asking the Fed gov to take over his efforts and then see Lib pundits clamoring for him to be POTUS. If the guy can't make good decisions in his own state...

You completely missed the point up above. Making something clear in a press release or presser is not leadership. It requires actually acting to protect Georgians. A scattershot county-by-county or city-by-city approach is ineffective at any hope of containment or even slowing the infection rate. You have to slow people and make them maintain their distance from others. That has been widely documented and articulated on multiple levels and there's now evidence that the drastic measures taken in Rochelle, NY, are showing positive results. Gee, imagine what could be done if the governor took a similarly scaled approach statewide. And yes, shocking as it may be, the beaches on SSI and Tybee were well stocked with college kids just this past weekend. Go figure.

SSI & Tybee officials are more than capable of closing the beaches. With that said you still have a point.

My concerns are still that measures that may need to be taken in a heavily populated area like Atlanta metro wouldn’t be necessary in say Ocilla or the hundreds of other tiny places.

In our small town/rural area we closed schools a week before national emergency declaration, shut down interior dining, & began implementing night time curfews in town all via local officials.

Churches stopped holding gatherings, funeral homes as well. This was done on their own

Weird thing is our local gym is still open & relatively busy.

People individually are maintaining distancing & contact from what I can see. Well, except the gym.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT