ADVERTISEMENT

Woodward's new book

willdup

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2002
Can anyone help me understand why Trump would go on the record with Bob Woodward of all people admitting he knew how deadly Covid19 is after a briefing on January 28th and yet continued to lie repeatedly over the following months as to the threat?

This is documented across a number of interviews and many of the comments are on tape? WTH, this is a brutal indictment of how he addressed (or more specifically didn't address) what his knew was a dire threat?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...2p22p9w00098&tid=a_classic-iphone&no_nav=true

"President Trump’s head popped up during his top-secret intelligence briefing in the Oval Office on Jan. 28 when the discussion turned to the novel coronavirus outbreak in China.

“This will be the biggest national security threat you face in your presidency,” national security adviser Robert O’Brien told Trump, according to a new book by Washington Post associate editor Bob Woodward. “This is going to be the roughest thing you face.”

Matthew Pottinger, the deputy national security adviser, agreed. He told the president that after reaching contacts in China, it was evident that the world faced a health emergency on par with the flu pandemic of 1918, which killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide.

Ten days later, Trump called Woodward and revealed that he thought the situation was far more dire than what he had been saying publicly.

“You just breathe the air and that’s how it’s passed,” Trump said in a Feb. 7 call. “And so that’s a very tricky one. That’s a very delicate one. It’s also more deadly than even your strenuous flu.”

“This is deadly stuff,” the president repeated for emphasis."

At that time, Trump was telling the nation that the virus was no worse than a seasonal flu, predicting it would soon disappear, and insisting that the U.S. government had it totally under control. It would be several weeks before he would publicly acknowledge that the virus was no ordinary flu and that it could be transmitted through the air."

And this is why I'll never be able to get past losing my father to this virus. I voted for this man. I wanted him to be all that and more as our President. I cannot in good conscious vote for him again. Yes, I realize I am about to get slammed for this on this site. That is fine. We all have a right to our opinions. We all also care about different things and platforms such as the Climate, LGBTQ, Taxes, Medical Coverage, etc.. For me, the Covid-19 lies and response fiasco combined with the tariffs adversely impacting my business both make me veer away from DJT. Both of these issues mean more to me than any financial savings I reaped from his Presidency.

Can anyone help me understand why Trump would go on the record with Bob Woodward of all people admitting he knew how deadly Covid19 is after a briefing on January 28th and yet continued to lie repeatedly over the following months as to the threat?

This is documented across a number of interviews and many of the comments are on tape? WTH, this is a brutal indictment of how he addressed (or more specifically didn't address) what his knew was a dire threat?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...2p22p9w00098&tid=a_classic-iphone&no_nav=true

"President Trump’s head popped up during his top-secret intelligence briefing in the Oval Office on Jan. 28 when the discussion turned to the novel coronavirus outbreak in China.

“This will be the biggest national security threat you face in your presidency,” national security adviser Robert O’Brien told Trump, according to a new book by Washington Post associate editor Bob Woodward. “This is going to be the roughest thing you face.”

Matthew Pottinger, the deputy national security adviser, agreed. He told the president that after reaching contacts in China, it was evident that the world faced a health emergency on par with the flu pandemic of 1918, which killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide.

Ten days later, Trump called Woodward and revealed that he thought the situation was far more dire than what he had been saying publicly.

“You just breathe the air and that’s how it’s passed,” Trump said in a Feb. 7 call. “And so that’s a very tricky one. That’s a very delicate one. It’s also more deadly than even your strenuous flu.”

At that time, Trump was telling the nation that the virus was no worse than a seasonal flu, predicting it would soon disappear, and insisting that the U.S. government had it totally under control. It would be several weeks before he would publicly acknowledge that the virus was no ordinary flu and that it could be transmitted through the air."
...and Fauci was saying the same thing, and he took his advice for every policy decision during that time. The video history does not lie: no one thought at the time that the virus was gonna do what it did. Except China.

The look of outright disappointment from the White House Press Corps the day that Fauci told them all that Trump had been heeding his advice the entire time without exception ought to be the defining must watch item to combat this narrative, as well as eliminate any doubts as to the media's infatuation with all things that would hurt Trump.

"The American people should not be worried or frightened by this. It's a very, very low risk to the United States," Dr. Fauci said on The CATS Roundtable. "It isn't something that the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about." Jan 26th

...and Fauci was saying the same thing, and he took his advice for every policy decision during that time. The video history does not lie: no one thought at the time that the virus was gonna do what it did. Except China.

The look of outright disappointment from the White House Press Corps the day that Fauci told them all that Trump had been heeding his advice the entire time without exception ought to be the defining must watch item to combat this narrative, as well as eliminate any doubts as to the media's infatuation with all things that would hurt Trump.
DJT is on tape admitting he intentionally and knowingly "played down" the threat. He lied to the American people and we are now headed towards 200k deaths while the rest of the world is measuring new deaths in the single digits. And you are just fine with that. Amazing.

DJT is on tape admitting he intentionally and knowingly "played down" the threat. He lied to the American people and we are now headed towards 200k deaths while the rest of the world is measuring new deaths in the single digits. And you are just fine with that. Amazing.

No I'm not just fine with the virus. I'm saying that pretty much everyone in the Country, including the President's most trusted advisor for this kind of thing Dr Fauci, media, Sanja Gupta, etc, etc...... didn't see this coming at that time. As to his words, I take no exception to saying things to avoid panic, while at the same time doing things like banning travel from China, to reduce the spread of the virus coming from there.

"The American people should not be worried or frightened by this. It's a very, very low risk to the United States," Dr. Fauci said on The CATS Roundtable. "It isn't something that the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about." Jan 26th
The President knew on January 28th and admitted on tape to Woodward that he knew that it was up to five times more deadly, was airbourne and that it affects young people.

Point at Fauci all you want. Trump knew, lied about it and people died. He is the President. He is responsible.

To me this is just semantics, leadership and a poor attempt at a hit job by a famous deep state operative. Everyone with half a brain knows who woodward is, what he does and his past in intelligence operations. Politics in the USA is just nasty and Woodward has been used by the deep state for years to misinform useful idiots.

It is crazy how big a deal some people are trying to make this out to be.
I feel like majority of people on this board have never been in a leadership position.

If you have been paying attention to the media in this country for the past 40 years you know they twist stuff on purpose.

This isn't a big deal and we won't even be talking about this a week from now. It will be in the past.

The President knew on January 28th and admitted on tape to Woodward that he knew that it was up to five times more deadly, was airbourne and that it affects young people.

Point at Fauci all you want. Trump knew, lied about it and people died. He is the President. He is responsible.
who was the President, a real estate developer by trade, supposed to turn to for advice at the time, if not Fauci?

Now if you want to talk about who to listen to now, that we have overwhelming data about what the virus is doing and its' correlation (or lack thereof) to shutdown restrictions, that's a different story. Fauci is a smart guy, but he has ignored real data in favor of his own trenched position at this point.

And this is why I'll never be able to get past losing my father to this virus. I voted for this man. I wanted him to be all that and more as our President. I cannot in good conscious vote for him again. Yes, I realize I am about to get slammed for this on this site. That is fine. We all have a right to our opinions. We all also care about different things and platforms such as the Climate, LGBTQ, Taxes, Medical Coverage, etc.. For me, the Covid-19 lies and response fiasco combined with the tariffs adversely impacting my business both make me veer away from DJT. Both of these issues mean more to me than any financial savings I reaped from his Presidency.

First, I'm sorry for your loss and hope that you and your family are well.
I don't think that the POTUS has handled this crisis perfectly, but I would just ask you to consider how important it is for the POTUS to express confidence and calm during these situations. He could have come out and expressed fear and concern but the ensuing panic would have probably resulted in even more deaths. I don't envy any president having to face this kind of crisis. He is not the best communicator but I don't think that it's out of purposely misleading but more that he's just not a smooth talking politician.

During a February 29 broadcast on NBC's "Today Show," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that at that time the government was still not advising people to change their daily habits to avoid the coronavirus pandemic.

5,000 days to flatten the curve.

Reactions: 1966septemberdawg
who was the President, a real estate developer by trade, supposed to turn to for advice at the time, if not Fauci?

Now if you want to talk about who to listen to now, that we have overwhelming data about what the virus is doing and its' correlation (or lack thereof) to shutdown restrictions, that's a different story. Fauci is a smart guy, but he has ignored real data in favor of his own trenched position at this point.

Is Fauchi the President? Was he present in the top secret Intelligence Briefing on February 28th? Was he aware that Trump was sharing with Bob Woodward that he knew it as a grave threat? Was Fauchi privy to the same intelligence out of China that Trump and his National Security Advisor was?

"Matthew Pottinger, the deputy national security adviser, agreed. He told the president that after reaching contacts in China, it was evident that the world faced a health emergency on par with the flu pandemic of 1918, which killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide."

During a February 29 broadcast on NBC's "Today Show," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that at that time the government was still not advising people to change their daily habits to avoid the coronavirus pandemic.

5,000 days to flatten the curve.
This has been my biggest issue. Fauci was literally telling people six months ago how we could still be living our lives. Two months later, you were killing the elderly by not wearing a mask.

I honestly would have loved to see what Biden, Clinton, Obama would have done. I am sick and tired of hearing "175,000 died on his watch" like a tenth of the people would have under any other regime. Meanwhile, Cuomo is throwing folks in nursing homes. I can't express enough sympathy for those that lost loved ones during this, but I really can't comprehend putting every single ounce of blame on DJT, no matter how much you hate his guts.

Sounds like a bunch of Hysterical Xenophobia to me.

Reactions: Spe77
I don't think that the POTUS has handled this crisis perfectly, but I would just ask you to consider how important it is for the POTUS to express confidence and calm during these situations. He could have come out and expressed fear and concern but the ensuing panic would have probably resulted in even more deaths. I don't envy any president having to face this kind of crisis. He is not the best communicator but I don't think that it's out of purposely misleading but more that he's just not a smooth talking politician.
I could not disagree more with your assessment of leadership in a time of crisis. I believe a leader provides clear-eyed communication about the threat and what will be needed to combat that threat.

For those who are actually care about the truth, the President is on tape saying that he intentionally mislead the public. The gap between what he was telling the public and what he admitted to knowing to Woodward is not a matter of nuance or emphasis. They are two entirely different stories.

Read this people and understand who Bob Woodward is. He has been lying and used as a propaganda tool for ages.

He came from secret intelligence operations within the navy.

https://theculturechronicles.com/in...gence-community-before-becoming-a-journalist/
Trump is on tape saying these things. Did Woodward use Jedi mind control to get him to say these things?

The mental gymnastics Trumpists will go through to justify his lying would be funny were it not so terrifying.

I look forward to the next administration when all of a sudden telling the truth will matter to you again.

With what we now know of the virus, do you still think it is a dire threat? We are a long way from the 2+ million deaths the doomsday prognosticators predicted. And, did PDJT not "follow the science" available at the time? Wasn't Fauci, and hell, Cuomo, saying the same thing?

Is Fauchi the President? Was he present in the top secret Intelligence Briefing on February 28th? Was he aware that Trump was sharing with Bob Woodward that he knew it as a grave threat? Was Fauchi privy to the same intelligence out of China that Trump and his National Security Advisor was?

"Matthew Pottinger, the deputy national security adviser, agreed. He told the president that after reaching contacts in China, it was evident that the world faced a health emergency on par with the flu pandemic of 1918, which killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide."
Lol @ on par with the Spanish flu.

This is so spot on here. The truth is trump is a natural leader and not a puppet like most presidents in recent memory. He has really handled this situation masterfully if you take into account we have so many people trying undermine him for political purposes.

Trump is a builder, a leader and a businessman first. So instead of handling this problem like a politician he has done so as a leader. Fauci has hampered the response somewhat but I am amazed at how Trump just shrugs of the lies.

This has been my biggest issue. Fauci was literally telling people six months ago how we could still be living our lives. Two months later, you were killing the elderly by not wearing a mask.

I honestly would have loved to see what Biden, Clinton, Obama would have done. I am sick and tired of hearing "175,000 died on his watch" like a tenth of the people would have under any other regime. Meanwhile, Cuomo is throwing folks in nursing homes. I can't express enough sympathy for those that lost loved ones during this, but I really can't comprehend putting every single ounce of blame on DJT, no matter how much you hate his guts.
Here it is a nutshell...this will disappear the way all of the others do, then bring on the next.

I could not disagree more with your assessment of leadership in a time of crisis. I believe a leader provides clear-eyed communication about the threat and what will be needed to combat that threat.

For those who are actually care about the truth, the President is on tape saying that he intentionally mislead the public. The gap between what he was telling the public and what he admitted to knowing to Woodward is not a matter of nuance or emphasis. They are two entirely different stories.
source.gif

So true, if only we had Hillary to tell us the end was nigh. All would have been much better.

What good and how much more panic would it have caused if Trump reacted like the media? Of course he would downplay it. Why stir more chaos
And you know so many would have said he caused where we are now if he freaked out eight months ago. A truly no-win situation.

Reactions: ugateke24
Trump is on tape saying these things. Did Woodward use Jedi mind control to get him to say these things?

The mental gymnastics Trumpists will go through to justify his lying would be funny were it not so terrifying.

I look forward to the next administration when all of a sudden telling the truth will matter to you again.

Hind sight is 20/20...nobody knew how to handle this new virus ! And I can promise you that bunch from the last administration could have done no better !!!

Hind sight is 20/20...nobody knew how to handle this new virus ! And I can promise you that bunch from the last administration could have done no better !!!
Based on what? We lead the world in total deaths (by 61k) and are fifth in current daily deaths behind only India, Mexico, Brazil and Saudi Arabia. By my reckoning we should expect much more from the wealthiest, most successful and scientifically advanced nation in the history of the world.

Yeeeaaah. Biden will be able to communicate wonderfully.

Yeeeaaah. Biden will be able to communicate wonderfully.
"Sure, my guy knowingly and intentionally lied to the American public, but what about your guy!" The whataboutism is breathtaking.

Not one of the trump supporters will actually defend his lies because you know you can't. Bob Woodward, Fauchi, Pelosi, Biden! They all made him lie!

And your promises are worth what? Exactly nothing. We have evidence of how poorly it has been handled. Not handling it certainly wasn't the way to deal with it.

This is so spot on here. The truth is trump is a natural leader and not a puppet like most presidents in recent memory. He has really handled this situation masterfully if you take into account we have so many people trying undermine him for political purposes.

Trump is a builder, a leader and a businessman first. So instead of handling this problem like a politician he has done so as a leader. Fauci has hampered the response somewhat but I am amazed at how Trump just shrugs of the lies.

If he was a leader, he would have tried to lead the effort in dealing with the virus. Instead, he said I'm running for reelection and I'm not going to get involved. Let the states fight each other in trying to get supplies and if you're nice (to the governors) I might help you. Let me issue guidelines and then make sure they are not followed. Good case study for a business school.

Because just like the portion of the quotes you leave out, "he didn't want to panic the nation".

Russian bounties, USPS, Losers & Suckers, now this.

Leftists have become truly irrational without capacity to think beyond or even consider beyond what they're fed.

And your promises are worth what? Exactly nothing. We have evidence of how poorly it has been handled. Not handling it certainly wasn't the way to deal with it.

If you think this administration wasn't trying to handle it , what news outlet do you use ? It was 24-7 with updates and discussion on what was being done to try and control the virus . The President had a group of medicals advising him , like your man Biden just said , " he would follow the science " !

And your genius was willing to alllow open travel from China during the beginning of the pandemic..callling Trump's travel bans "xenophobic"

https://grabien.com/file.php?id=874091

Last edited:

Here's the Vodka loving alchy Nancy P. being Nancy P.
And we saw how safe this was and the terrible effects of COVID that occured in this city shortly after.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/nancy-pelosi-visits-san-franciscos-chinatown/2240247/

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/nancy-pelosi-visits-san-franciscos-chinatown/2240247/

Last edited:
With what we now know of the virus, do you still think it is a dire threat? We are a long way from the 2+ million deaths the doomsday prognosticators predicted. And, did PDJT not "follow the science" available at the time? Wasn't Fauci, and hell, Cuomo, saying the same thing?
Yeah because we took mitigating factors. Had we not done so we very well could be at that 2 million number.

ADVERTISEMENT