ADVERTISEMENT

Wow! NBC news now says masks should not be

Give me a break Potimus, your thread says, "Wow, NBC News now says masks should not be worn by healthy people".

Let's go through your post, it wasn't NBC News, it was GMA which is not a news show.

You used the word "now" when it was a segment from the beginning of the pandemic.

The post is completely untruthful, we all know Johnny B just makes everything up that he posts, you don't want to be lumped into that category.

I don’t watch network TV. Pardon my NBC reference. GMA shows network news clips, so don’t go there.

Your whine is typical. Neglect the facts and go for the narrative.

Prove that the mask info I posted is wrong. What the guy speaks about is stated clearly on the CDC website.

My reference to the GMA was a set up. Liberals here post the most ridiculous opinion pieces as fact, and normally from network news, Wikipedia. Etc.

I found it ironic that a network news source stated factual info on mask usage, facts, not opinion, that fit exactly what the CDC website says in its site.

I am done. Wear your mask, I won’t.

A million times, this.
Not to mention that people want to keep saying “has the science changed since x” as if new information can’t make science change on a dime. Plus, asking that ignores science, as a whole, since science is built around studies, learning, and adjusting to the new information that is given. It also ignores the big question as to why we are being asked to wear the masks and ignores the guidelines for doing it properly. Not to mention that the line of “no one told us” is ridiculous, as there have been TONS of professional and real studies done that show that we need to be wearing masks and why. If one ignores the studies, then that’s on them. But don’t say no one has told you anything. There is a lot of dishonesty in the original post and the comments that attempt to support it.

The science of what a mask does and doesn’t do, in regards to its capabilities, has not changed since February.

Wear your mask.

The science of what a mask does and doesn’t do, in regards to its capabilities, has not changed since February.

Wear your mask.
Correct. But what you blew right by or purposefully left out, is that hazards can happen when not used CORRECTLY. That’s like saying “you’ll die if you eat 17 pounds of old rusty nails.” Yeah...you’re not using those nails correctly. However, tons and tons of studies have shown that when worn according to the guidelines, the mask HELPS you. Washing your masks daily. Not smothering yourself with it. And other guidelines. Lol. Your points are dishonest, because they lack complete information.
Also, it’s odd that you would say the CDC is wrong, and then point someone to the CDC site to see if what it says to prove your point. Lol. Choose a side. Either trust them or don’t.

And thank you. I will wear my mask because I care about others.

I’m completely on point. If you read my posts, you’ll see that I’m trying to make a much larger philosophical point. The scientific community has contradicted themselves multiple times on the issue of wearing masks. I have observed when any in the medical community have disagreed with the going narrative, most of the social media platforms and news networks have suppressed their viewpoints. Maybe the expert opinions that you choose to believe are proven right in the long run. If so, that’s fine. The problem I’m having is how you and others speak with an absolute certainty that you are 100% correct on this matter. Again your expert is somehow better than another expert. The condescension is strong with your side!

Furthermore, and still on topic, I’d argue that your support of democrats and their policies is irresponsible. Cities across this nation are suffering under democrat leadership. Look no further than Atlanta, but we can add NY, Detroit, Chicago, San Francisco, and LA to the list. These cities are being overrun by crime and poverty. I think getting a bullet in your ass is a serious medical issue. Your support for this leadership is irresponsible and has a negative impact on our societies health; therefore, according to your argument, I should be able to mandate that you not vote for democrats. Hey I’m just trying to protect the public.

You still don’t get it.

I still haven’t said a thing about Democrat politics.

Again, we are supposed to be talking about masks and covid.

They are 2 different subjects.

You still don’t get it.

I still haven’t said a thing about Democrat politics.

Again, we are supposed to be talking about masks and covid.

They are 2 different subjects.
I’m not the one who is lost here. You alluded to masks and Covid being a medical issue. I laid out an argument that there are other medical issues impacting communities. Your point is that people not wearing masks is putting others health at risk and I’m arguing that democrat policies are putting peoples health at risk. Again, why is the expert you believe in on the topic of wearing masks more reliable than another expert that disagrees with the premise of wearing masks?

I’m not the one who is lost here. You alluded to masks and Covid being a medical issue. I laid out an argument that there are other medical issues impacting communities. Your point is that people not wearing masks is putting others health at risk and I’m arguing that democrat policies are putting peoples health at risk. Again, why is the expert you believe in on the topic of wearing masks more reliable than another expert that disagrees with the premise of wearing masks?
Masks are unhealthy for you, and help spread the virus.

worn by heathy people.

I mean, what is the world coming to?
Come on, Potimus. February? Because the knowledge and understanding of the best course of action can't change over time?

Numbers are going up, the % of positive tests are also going up many places. We are not moving in the right direction. Why are otherwise smart people like yourself continuing to get your panties in a wad about such simple step to take? If it doesn't work, minor inconvenience. If it has any impact at all
I don’t watch network TV. Pardon my NBC reference. GMA shows network news clips, so don’t go there.

Your whine is typical. Neglect the facts and go for the narrative.

Prove that the mask info I posted is wrong. What the guy speaks about is stated clearly on the CDC website.

My reference to the GMA was a set up. Liberals here post the most ridiculous opinion pieces as fact, and normally from network news, Wikipedia. Etc.

I found it ironic that a network news source stated factual info on mask usage, facts, not opinion, that fit exactly what the CDC website says in its site.

I am done. Wear your mask, I won’t.
Come on, Potimus. February? Because the knowledge and understanding of the best course of action can't change over time?

Numbers are going up, the % of positive tests are also going up in many places. We are not moving in the right direction. Why are otherwise smart people like yourself continuing to get your panties in a wad about such simple step to take? If it doesn't work, minor inconvenience. If it has any impact at all it's a win for everyone.

Maybe this will help get the point across?

Numbers are going up, the % of positive tests are also going up many places. We are not moving in the right direction. Why are otherwise smart people like yourself continuing to get your panties in a wad about such simple step to take? If it doesn't work, minor inconvenience. If it has any impact at all

Numbers are going up, the % of positive tests are also going up in many places. We are not moving in the right direction. Why are otherwise smart people like yourself continuing to get your panties in a wad about such simple step to take? If it doesn't work, minor inconvenience. If it has any impact at all it's a win for everyone.

Maybe this will help get the point across?
Well, then why can’t we open up 100%?

Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon

So at best, You laid out an argument that is beside the point of the discussion. Masks and whatever blah blah blah Democrat whining you are doing aren’t mutually exclusive. 2 different subjects. Try to stick to the original topic of discussion next time you post, and maybe then we can get somewhere.

Reactions: celticdawg
So at best, You laid out an argument that is beside the point of the discussion. Masks and whatever blah blah blah Democrat whining you are doing aren’t mutually exclusive. 2 different subjects. Try to stick to the original topic of discussion next time you post, and maybe then we can get somewhere.
You’ve failed Philosophy 101. I suggest you take remedial philosophy before you enter another adult conversation.

This article does a good job of summarizing the views of many, myself included, regarding the “science”.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/7/scientists-long-ago-exhausted-their-covid-19-capit/

The latest in the ever-changing COVID-19 crisis is that hundreds of scientists have joined forces and penned a letter to the World Health Organization chiefs to get an official, formal, authoritative ruling that the new coronavirus is airborne, meaning transmitted by breathing contaminated air.

Well, ba dum dum on that. Salt, meet grain. Scientists — and that’s “scientists” buttressed between quotation marks — have long ago revealed themselves as factually challenged, devastatingly single-minded, even politically motivated on this whole coronavirus matter.

We went from wash your hands to stay in your home; from keep 6 feet apart to stay off the beaches; to shut down those fitness centers to shut down those churches; to get an abortion but not elective surgery; to protest in the streets but stay away from President Donald Trump’s rallies.

We went from hundreds of thousands of projected deaths to tens of thousands, as based on faulty computer modeling — the same kind of faulty computer modeling that climate alarmists use to advance their own faulty predictions.

We saw hospitals close, save for coronavirus cases, at the orders of governors. We saw stimulus dollars being distributed by Congress to hospitals to help with their coronavirus cases — most of which never materialized as predicted. We saw the conflicts of interest that the cash-for-coronavirus situation created within the hospitals — and heard and read the accounts from medical professionals who told of purposely skewed coronavirus case counts, particularly in fatalities. We watched as the media largely dismissed these reports.

We listened as bureaucrats like Dr. Anthony Fauci dictated economic, social, political and health policy from the widely watched White House stage, successfully shutting down businesses, sending people in fear to their homes, upsetting entire national industries and shuttering the doors on schools — all while claiming a complete hands-off approach to economic policy, political policy, education policy. All while claiming he spoke only to the “science” — all while waving his wand over the ever-changing “science.” All while pressing, pressing, pressing for patience until the development of a global vaccine. All while expecting his rapt, fearful audience to turn blind eyes to his own conflicts of interest with the development of a global vaccine — namely, that he sits on the board of the Bill Gates’ Decade of Vaccines campaign, aimed at developing and selling cure-all shots for what ails humans around the world.

And for the most part, the media did turn blind eyes. There was the government’s every-changing wear the mask, don’t wear the mask, wear the mask if you can messaging, followed by the private sector’s no shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service attempt at avoiding litigation. Or at signaling the most consumer friendly virtue. Whichever, whatever. And all along, the people were told: If we didn’t take these provisions, more would’ve died.

The science was the science was ever-changing, so to keep up. The rules, the regulations, the mandates, the orders, had to — simply had to! — change as well. That’s not science. That’s flipping a flipping coin, again and again and again.

Now comes this? “Hundreds of scientists write letter to WHO arguing coronavirus airborne,” The Hill reported. “239 Experts With One Big Claim: The Coronavirus Is Airborne,” The New York Times reported.
“WHO underplaying risk of airborne spread of Covid-19, say scientists,” The Guardian reported.

Catch the ratchet; see the racket? First come the scientists suggesting a danger — then comes the media criticizing the health world for failing to immediately address this danger with new rules, new regulations, new requirements, new restrictions. Then come the partisan policy wonks, the Democrats, the Dr. Fauci types, China-friendly Bill Gates’ kinds, the anti-Trumpers and pro-Joe Biden-ers with their safety recommendations and health advisements and medical suggestions. And orders.

If the coronavirus is airborne, dontcha know, the people will have to stay home. Or, wear face masks 24-7. Or — just to be on the safe side — vote by mail-in ballot.

This isn’t science. This is bogus, bunk, best-guessing beyond imagine. Well, in America, it’s time for the citizens to take back their rights from the charlatans. Scientists, on the coronavirus, have spent all the capital they have. They deserve to be drummed out and sent home. It’s time for the individuals to chart their own courses on personal health care.

Last edited:
worn by heathy people.

Can't find that, but your first problem is listening to NBC or Fox, etc. If they have an expert commenting on it, look them up. If they have the resume that confirms they should be taken seriously, take them seriously. Then see what other experts are saying. I'm in a mask-wearing country. We have less than 1,000 active cases. You are not and have over 1,000,000 active. I'll go with the masks until I hear something better than a chat post with no link.

I really should stop trying. You can't fix stupid. My prediction: US will have more death per capita than any developed country. Not exactly a hot take.

I really should stop trying. You can't fix stupid. My prediction: US will have more death per capita than any developed country. Not exactly a hot take.
LOL... very hot take.

This article does a good job of summarizing many of our views on the “science”.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/7/scientists-long-ago-exhausted-their-covid-19-capit/

The latest in the ever-changing COVID-19 crisis is that hundreds of scientists have joined forces and penned a letter to the World Health Organization chiefs to get an official, formal, authoritative ruling that the new coronavirus is airborne, meaning transmitted by breathing contaminated air.

Well, ba dum dum on that. Salt, meet grain. Scientists — and that’s “scientists” buttressed between quotation marks — have long ago revealed themselves as factually challenged, devastatingly single-minded, even politically motivated on this whole coronavirus matter.

We went from wash your hands to stay in your home; from keep 6 feet apart to stay off the beaches; to shut down those fitness centers to shut down those churches; to get an abortion but not elective surgery; to protest in the streets but stay away from President Donald Trump’s rallies.

We went from hundreds of thousands of projected deaths to tens of thousands, as based on faulty computer modeling — the same kind of faulty computer modeling that climate alarmists use to advance their own faulty predictions.

We saw hospitals close, save for coronavirus cases, at the orders of governors. We saw stimulus dollars being distributed by Congress to hospitals to help with their coronavirus cases — most of which never materialized as predicted. We saw the conflicts of interest that the cash-for-coronavirus situation created within the hospitals — and heard and read the accounts from medical professionals who told of purposely skewed coronavirus case counts, particularly in fatalities. We watched as the media largely dismissed these reports.

We listened as bureaucrats like Dr. Anthony Fauci dictated economic, social, political and health policy from the widely watched White House stage, successfully shutting down businesses, sending people in fear to their homes, upsetting entire national industries and shuttering the doors on schools — all while claiming a complete hands-off approach to economic policy, political policy, education policy. All while claiming he spoke only to the “science” — all while waving his wand over the ever-changing “science.” All while pressing, pressing, pressing for patience until the development of a global vaccine. All while expecting his rapt, fearful audience to turn blind eyes to his own conflicts of interest with the development of a global vaccine — namely, that he sits on the board of the Bill Gates’ Decade of Vaccines campaign, aimed at developing and selling cure-all shots for what ails humans around the world.

And for the most part, the media did turn blind eyes. There was the government’s every-changing wear the mask, don’t wear the mask, wear the mask if you can messaging, followed by the private sector’s no shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service attempt at avoiding litigation. Or at signaling the most consumer friendly virtue. Whichever, whatever. And all along, the people were told: If we didn’t take these provisions, more would’ve died.

The science was the science was ever-changing, so to keep up. The rules, the regulations, the mandates, the orders, had to — simply had to! — change as well. That’s not science. That’s flipping a flipping coin, again and again and again.

Now comes this? “Hundreds of scientists write letter to WHO arguing coronavirus airborne,” The Hill reported. “239 Experts With One Big Claim: The Coronavirus Is Airborne,” The New York Times reported.
“WHO underplaying risk of airborne spread of Covid-19, say scientists,” The Guardian reported.

Catch the ratchet; see the racket? First come the scientists suggesting a danger — then comes the media criticizing the health world for failing to immediately address this danger with new rules, new regulations, new requirements, new restrictions. Then come the partisan policy wonks, the Democrats, the Dr. Fauci types, China-friendly Bill Gates’ kinds, the anti-Trumpers and pro-Joe Biden-ers with their safety recommendations and health advisements and medical suggestions. And orders.

If the coronavirus is airborne, dontcha know, the people will have to stay home. Or, wear face masks 24-7. Or — just to be on the safe side — vote by mail-in ballot.

This isn’t science. This is bogus, bunk, best-guessing beyond imagine. Well, in America, it’s time for the citizens to take back their rights from the charlatans. Scientists, on the coronavirus, have spent all the capital they have. They deserve to be drummed out and sent home. It’s time for the individuals to chart their own courses on personal health care.
Me standing and cheering long time

Reactions: Spe77
Based on all the numbers I’m seeing, not only are you wrong but the US has some of the best numbers. You’re an angry woman for no reason.
What's the best numbers? Where are you getting these numbers. We're nearly 400 dead per million. Only a handful of developed countries that high.

Seriously, don't know if it's outright lies or being uninformed. Devoloped countries of over 20 million.

UK 654 deaths per million
Spain 607
Italy 577
France 459
US 404

That's your top 5 and the top 4 are seeing their case rates drop.

worn by heathy people.

Mask law/rule in Athens being voted on probably about right now. Word on skreet is $25 fine for unmasked. Don't know much else about it.

Seriously, don't know if it's outright lies or being uninformed. Devoloped countries of over 20 million.

UK 654 deaths per million
Spain 607
Italy 577
France 459
US 404

That's your top 5 and the top 4 are seeing their case rates drop.
Weren’t they 6-8 weeks ahead of us? And we’ll still invent the vax, have a lower death rate, a stronger economy and we’ll save their asses from the Chinx. If you don’t like that, eff you too.

Weren’t they 6-8 weeks ahead of us? And we’ll still invent the vax, have a lower death rate, a stronger economy and we’ll save their asses from the Chinx. If you don’t like that, eff you too.
More U.S. deaths today than any day in the last month. Europe is trending way, way down.

Last edited:
Wearing a mask is common sense, so prove you have common sense.
Common sense fallacy

by Tim Harding

The American writer H L Mencken once said “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.” He was referring to ‘common sense’, which can be superficially plausible and sometimes right, but often wrong.

The Common Sense Fallacy (or ‘Appeal to Common Sense’) is somewhat related to the Argument from Popularity and/or the Argument from Tradition. However, it differs from these fallacies by not necessarily relying on popularity or tradition.

Instead, common sense relies on the vague notion of ‘obviousness’, which means something like ‘what we perceive from personal experience’ or ‘what we should know without having had to learn.’ In other words, common sense is not necessarily supported by evidence or reasoning. As such, beliefs based on common sense are unreliable. The fallacy lies in giving too much weight to common sense in drawing conclusions, at the expense of evidence and reasoning.

In some ways, scientific methods have been developed to avoid the errors that can result from common sense. For instance, common sense used to tell us that the Earth is flat and that the Sun revolves around the Earth – because that is the way things appear to us without scientific investigation. Another example of ‘common sense’ is that the world appears to have been designed, so therefore there must have been a designer.

Einstein’s theories of relativity were initially resisted, even by the scientific community, because they defied common sense. They seemed to belong more in the realm of science fiction than reality, until they were later verified by scientific observations. Our modern Global Positioning System (GPS) now uses Einstein’s relativity theories. This initial resistance may have led Einstein to later say that ”Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen” .
https://yandoo.wordpress.com/2014/12/28/common-sense-fallacy/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT