ADVERTISEMENT

WSP MKE

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Jimmy Herring is the best thing that ever happened to WSP
You were right the first time.
WSP was lost with George.
And though it's politically incorrect to do anything other than praise the deceased, tne truth is Jimmy gives WSP more flexibility than they had.
Houser was amazing at the particular style he played. Herring can play multiple genres of music. It's why he's frequently asked to sit in with other artists.

You were right the first time.
WSP was lost with George.
And though it's politically incorrect to do anything other than praise the deceased, tne truth is Jimmy gives WSP more flexibility than they had.
Houser was amazing at the particular style he played. Herring can play multiple genres of music. It's why he's frequently asked to sit in with other artists.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I'm not going to use the wrong gif again but I should....Trey is the best to ever do it.
Jimmy is much more technical/shreddy than Trey. Which isn't to say Trey isn't great, just a different style.

Jimmy is truly brilliant when it comes to his understanding of theory. His master classes at AIM and his tutorials online demonstrate a level of musical theory understanding that very few guitarists possess.

Reactions: foxdawg32
I remember when WSP played out fraternity house when I was a pledge in fall of 89...people were literally trying to crawl in windows. One ugly chick told a pledge brother that she would have sex with him if he let her in...he didn’t bc she was butt ass ugly. But it was nuts bc Space Wrangler had come out but I think they were still playing gigs they had booked months ago.

Houser was Panic...Jimmy can shred but Panic will never be better without Houser.

This x 1000 and I love both but housers tone and songwriting = Panic

All of their classic tunes were written by houser

I’m not talking about Mikey brother I’m talking about Trey. And Jimmy rules him. @wspanicdawg

This might surprise you but I strongly disagree

Trey is my favorite guitarist on the planet. I love melody, tone, and establishing a groove when it comes to great guitar playing and trey embodies this

Jimmy is an elite player and I love him but he over plays sometimes for my taste

Reactions: drdon50 and dubzga
I'm not going to use the wrong gif again but I should....Trey is the best to ever do it.
Jimmy is much more technical/shreddy than Trey. Which isn't to say Trey isn't great, just a different style.

Jimmy is truly brilliant when it comes to his understanding of theory. His master classes at AIM and his tutorials online demonstrate a level of musical theory understanding that very few guitarists possess.
I agree that Jimmy’s musical acumen is very high and I applaud his devotion to learning every WSP song/cover. Jimmy is definitely technical which sometimes to me is his downfall.

Trey is my favorite guitarist on the planet. I love melody, tone, and establishing a groove when it comes to great guitar playing and trey embodies this

Jimmy is an elite player and I love him but he over plays sometimes for my taste

I agree totally Houser was the panic sound and although Jimmy is great he's A step down for that band. Same as Garcia was the perfect guitarist for GD although there's better guitarist that have played with them since. JB was equal in the song writing department for classic panic times

Last edited:
Reactions: seatonsdawgs
Mikey was the best thing that ever happened to WSP, but Jimmy was next. He saved that band. I never thought George was a good fit.

I agree. Personality wise Jimmy definitely fit in better and was a better musically fit as well but I have to admit one of the best post Mickey shows I attended was 05 Radio City Music Hall with George. Just one of those nights everything clicked Low Spark >Ride Me High>Tie Your Shoes >Low Spark. Pure Heat!

I first saw Panic during my Soph year during their three night run at the Classic Center in 2000. I've been hooked ever since, and have seen all 3 incarnations (Mikey, George and Jimmy).

Jimmy is fantastic. We are all lucky he was brought into the mix to allow Panic to continue allowing this great music to continue.

That said, you can't replace Mikey. The sound Panic is brining right now is top notch, but there are certain songs/licks that will never sound right without that lingering lead. The intro to Surprise is always one that never quite sounds right to me since Mikey's passing. Same with the main lead in Wrangler, but maybe that is just me.

Can't wait for the Fox Run in December!

Jimmy Herring is the best thing that ever happened to WSP
Mikey was the best thing that ever happened to WSP, but Jimmy was next. He saved that band. I never thought George was a good fit.

Exactly! Jimmy saved a completely lost Panic that had absolutely no energy and sounded terrible with George. I appreciate what George tried to do, but it was a horrible fit. Remember vividly seeing my first Panic show with Jimmy here in Orlando. Saw a whole band being pulled by one man and they honestly couldn’t keep up with him at the time. Panic will always be Mikey’s band, but Jimmy plays with Mikey in mind. Just read any of his interviews. He mentions it every time.

Doesn’t surprise me. I just like stirring the pot between the two

Exactly! Jimmy saved a completely lost Panic that had absolutely no energy and sounded terrible with George. I appreciate what George tried to do, but it was a horrible fit. Remember vividly seeing my first Panic show with Jimmy here in Orlando. Saw a whole band being pulled by one man and they honestly couldn’t keep up with him at the time.
This this this

I feel like Jimmy is a little like Fields. He could be good anywhere and may even be held back but just wants to do good for the home team.

Reactions: JJF84 and dubzga
For me, Houser was the "feel" and flow of Panic songs. George was terrible as we all know and Herring has brought a new energy to the music.

That being said, he can get overzealous and run through songs and can miss "feel" for some of the slower tempo songs.

The best change in WSP for me has been Mr. Trucks coming in on the drums. There is so much more energy throughout the entire band because the backbone of the songs has more energy in them.

The best change in WSP for me has been Mr. Trucks coming in on the drums. There is so much more energy throughout the entire band because the backbone of the songs has more energy in them.[/QUOTE]

Great point. Todd just couldn’t control his demons and they had to make a move. They gave him every opportunity though. Duane learned well from his uncle butch. Sorry to say it, but he is just a better drummer than ol “drum machine” as we call him.

The best change in WSP for me has been Mr. Trucks coming in on the drums. There is so much more energy throughout the entire band because the backbone of the songs has more energy in them.

Great point. Todd just couldn’t control his demons and they had to make a move. They gave him every opportunity though. Duane learned well from his uncle butch. Sorry to say it, but he is just a better drummer than ol “drum machine” as we call him.[/QUOTE]

I was fortunate to play with Duane a couple of times in ATL. He's a great dude in addition to being a very good player

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT