ADVERTISEMENT

Yes or No???

Eastmandawg

Circle of Honor
May 29, 2001
My youngest wants to study abroad her last semester this coming year in Vienna, Austria. It seems to be a reasonably safe area, probably better than here. But is roughly 6 to 7 hours from Ukraine.

That area just doesn’t seem to stable to me. Who knows what can happen….very reluctant and conflicted.

Would you let your daughter go??

https://webster.ac.at/wvpu-study/index.php

My youngest wants to study abroad her last semester this coming year in Vienna, Austria. It seems to be a reasonably safe area, probably better than here. But is roughly 6 to 7 hours from Ukraine.

That area just doesn’t seem to stable to me. Who knows what can happen….very reluctant and conflicted.

absolutely. what a marvelous experience to have. She will be safer in Austria than in, say, Alabama

LOL, probably….But what about nuclear fallout when Russia decides to nuke Ukraine……will it reach Vienna, or am I just being too paranoid??l
I mean, it's your baby daughter, you're supposed to be paranoid. but even if they did use some tactical nuke, I don't think there's any guarantee that there affected area wouldn't be Russia itself. which is why I don't think they will do it… and anyway, you'd be telling your daughter not to do something wonderful in order to make yourself feel better, she's the one living the life and in 30 years she will look back and think how lucky she wants to see Vienna at a young age...

If the Russians invade Vienna, she ain't gonna be safe anywhere. My girl did studies abroad in a few places while at UGA (Cortona, NZ, South Africa, and that Oxford thing UGA has). She loved them all.

I mean, it's your baby daughter, you're supposed to be paranoid. but even if they did use some tactical nuke, I don't think there's any guarantee that there affected area wouldn't be Russia itself. which is why I don't think they will do it… and anyway, you'd be telling your daughter not to do something wonderful in order to make yourself feel better, she's the one living the life and in 30 years she will look back and think how lucky she wants to see Vienna at a young age...
More rhetorical/tongue-in-cheek question….but a good point in making myself feel better, you are probably right. I’m a little overboard when it comes to her safety. Always have been and probably always will be.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Athens is Heaven
While it wasn't studying abroad my first duty station was Aviano Italy. Can't tell you how life-changing it is to get the opportunity at that age to not just visit a foreign country but totally immerse yourself within the culture by living there. As was mentioned before, you're a dad and should always worry about your children but can say for me it was an amazing experience.

G’day mate, Well, it’s going to be a cold winter over in Europe due to the natural gas shortage. Other than, I’d pick a warmer country , Spain, South of France, maybe Portugal.

That is tough, my daughter went to Africa this summer for a month and when she was on the plane ride to Ethiopia 40 Christians were killed in Nigeria, she had a great time and is contemplating going back, I worried the entire time she was gone, the weirdest part was seeing her life 360 moving around Africa and saying she was 8k miles away

Austria is staying neutral so I don't think you will have a problem with the war

absolutely!
That is tough, my daughter went to Africa this summer for a month and when she was on the plane ride to Ethiopia 40 Christians were killed in Nigeria, she had a great time and is contemplating going back, I worried the entire time she was gone, the weirdest part was seeing her life 360 moving around Africa and saying she was 8k miles away

Austria is staying neutral so I don't think you will have a problem with the war

no to Africa,
yes to Austria..

Reactions: shonuff253

yes, absolutely!
if I could comfortably afford such an endeavor.

she will (hopefully) be grateful for the Trust.
great stories when she grows old and tiresome...!?

Putin unleasing Nukes would be my only apprehension.
the wind generally blows that way.?

Reactions: Eastmandawg
yes, absolutely!
if I could comfortably afford such an endeavor.

she will (hopefully) be grateful for the Trust.
great stories when she grows old and tiresome...!?

Putin unleasing Nukes would be my only apprehension.
the wind generally blows that way.?
any direction, therefore risk too great for Pootin’

Reactions: blackpug6
any direction, therefore risk to great for Pootin’

it shows your commitment to family consideration.

my senior year of HS was spent with "in school suspension"
until I could graduate early.
I would not send MY 19 year old self on any adventure.
I was already there at home...

it shows your commitment to family consideration.

my senior year of HS was spent with "in school suspension"
until I could graduate early.
I would not send MY 19 year old self on any adventure.
I was already there at home...
Just a POOO white boy growing up, my parents couldn’t send me. I worked and sent myself through with no loans, it wasn’t easy.

I’m glad we were in a position to send both my daughters…..helluva lot more expensive now than when I went.

For some reason, I am not surprised you were a trouble maker.

Reactions: blackpug6

I can tell you this. When my son was considering studying abroad, my wife of 25 years said that she wanted to study abroad when she was in college and she was still angry and resentful of her father for the decision not to let her go over 30 years later. As far as the war, if Austria is getting nuked we are all getting nuked, so that would not be a factor for me.

As for my son, he has a much better perspective of the world than any of his peers that have never lived in another country. It was a good decision for him and his parents.

I'll be the oddball in this thread. My daughter? Ain't no chance in hayull.

Good 4 you…..but there probably was nobody that wanted to kidnap your ugly azz-😏.

But with my daughter, could be a different story.
Eastman, I think I have the answer. Your daughter wants to go to Vienna. You want her safe. Ok, send her to Vienna, Georgia, the birthplace of Gov. George Busbee. Problem solved.

I've said it before, I live within 7 miles of both CDC campuses here in ATL. Other than NY and DC, I'll be third bombed in a nuke war, and Vienna will be safer than here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT