ADVERTISEMENT

150 years ago this day...

BadLeroyDawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Oct 28, 2008
Monday, 22 May 1865

Union President Andrew Johnson removes commercial restrictions on Southern ports except for Galveston, La Salle County, Brazos Santiago and Brownsville, Texas.

Skirmishing breaks out at Valley Mines, Missouri, as Union soldiers report an attack on five starving Southerners caught robbing a store there, killing one of the partisans and wounding another.

Former First Lady Mary Lincoln and sons Tad and Robert move out of the White House this morning. Mary had been confined to her room immediately following President Abraham Lincoln’s shooting by Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton who saw that she was so unhinged by the experience of the assassination that Stanton had ordered her out of the room, shouting, "Take that woman out of here and do not let her in here again!"

Confederate President Jefferson Davis, the last remaining symbol of the Southern Government is imprisoned in a cell at Fortress Monroe, off Hampton Roads, Virginia. Davis and his wife Varina had arrived at Fort Monroe, where she was eventually returned South, while authorities maliciously placed Davis in shackles and held him in solitary confinement at the fort. Union Authorities later bowed to pressure to remove the shackles. During 1868, in one of President Johnson’s last formal acts in office, he would pardon Davis, who never stood trial as Federal officials strongly suspected they could not likely get a conviction.

Commander William Henry Alexander Macomb, commanding in Albemarle Sound, reported U.S. Picket Boat No. 5 had seized the steamers Skirwan, Cotton Plant, Fisher and Egypt Mills, as well as a small, unfinished steamer, near Halifax, on the Roanoke River, in North Carolina.

Commander Matthew Fontaine Maury arrives in Havana on the S.S. Atrato and learns of General Joseph Egglestone Johnston's surrender on 26 April. Realizing the futility of his intended efforts, he abandons plans to proceed with his electric torpedo equipment to Galveston for the defense of that harbor. He places the material ashore in custody for Commander James Dunwoody Bulloch. As he later writes to his wife: "I left $30,000 or $40,000 worth of torpedoes, telegraphic wire, etc. which I bought for the defense of Richmond. Bulloch paid for them but they were left in Havana at the breakup, subject to my orders. I write by this mail directing that they be turned over to Bulloch. Now they don't belong to him, neither do they to me. But it is quite a relief to get rid of them by transferring them to a man who I am sure will make the most proper use of them. I did not want any of the $10,000 or $20,000 which they will bring, though some one will get it who has no more right to it than I have."

Maury's keen sense of honor was borne out by the audit of his accounts delivered to him shortly before he sailed for England. Bulloch's assistant wrote: "Although the custom here would have sanctioned your receiving a large per centum in the way of commission on contracts, purchases and disbursements made by me, yet you consistently set your face against it and never, to my certain knowledge, received a shilling."

Monday, 22 May 1865

Union President Andrew Johnson removes commercial restrictions on Southern ports except for Galveston, La Salle County, Brazos Santiago and Brownsville, Texas.

Skirmishing breaks out at Valley Mines, Missouri, as Union soldiers report an attack on five starving Southerners caught robbing a store there, killing one of the partisans and wounding another.

Former First Lady Mary Lincoln and sons Tad and Robert move out of the White House this morning. Mary had been confined to her room immediately following President Abraham Lincoln’s shooting by Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton who saw that she was so unhinged by the experience of the assassination that Stanton had ordered her out of the room, shouting, "Take that woman out of here and do not let her in here again!"

Confederate President Jefferson Davis, the last remaining symbol of the Southern Government is imprisoned in a cell at Fortress Monroe, off Hampton Roads, Virginia. Davis and his wife Varina had arrived at Fort Monroe, where she was eventually returned South, while authorities maliciously placed Davis in shackles and held him in solitary confinement at the fort. Union Authorities later bowed to pressure to remove the shackles. During 1868, in one of President Johnson’s last formal acts in office, he would pardon Davis, who never stood trial as Federal officials strongly suspected they could not likely get a conviction.

Commander William Henry Alexander Macomb, commanding in Albemarle Sound, reported U.S. Picket Boat No. 5 had seized the steamers Skirwan, Cotton Plant, Fisher and Egypt Mills, as well as a small, unfinished steamer, near Halifax, on the Roanoke River, in North Carolina.

Commander Matthew Fontaine Maury arrives in Havana on the S.S. Atrato and learns of General Joseph Egglestone Johnston's surrender on 26 April. Realizing the futility of his intended efforts, he abandons plans to proceed with his electric torpedo equipment to Galveston for the defense of that harbor. He places the material ashore in custody for Commander James Dunwoody Bulloch. As he later writes to his wife: "I left $30,000 or $40,000 worth of torpedoes, telegraphic wire, etc. which I bought for the defense of Richmond. Bulloch paid for them but they were left in Havana at the breakup, subject to my orders. I write by this mail directing that they be turned over to Bulloch. Now they don't belong to him, neither do they to me. But it is quite a relief to get rid of them by transferring them to a man who I am sure will make the most proper use of them. I did not want any of the $10,000 or $20,000 which they will bring, though some one will get it who has no more right to it than I have."

Maury's keen sense of honor was borne out by the audit of his accounts delivered to him shortly before he sailed for England. Bulloch's assistant wrote: "Although the custom here would have sanctioned your receiving a large per centum in the way of commission on contracts, purchases and disbursements made by me, yet you consistently set your face against it and never, to my certain knowledge, received a shilling."

Thank you Sir for the good read!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT