ADVERTISEMENT

155 Years Ago Today

JackRussellDawg

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2018
Coastal Florida
My two great great grandfathers, John Braddock and Andrew Jackson Grizzard (yes, we claim distant relation to Lewis), surrendered with Lee at Appomattox.

They had mustered with the Gibson Guard in Sandersville and joined Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia to help defeat the northern invaders. One was captured at Gettysburg but later released in a prisoner exchange and went right back to fighting those damn yankees. They fought all the way to the end.

After surrendering at Appomattox, they hiked to Norfolk, where they caught a boat that sailed to Savannah. They got off and hiked back to their families to rebuild their lives.

I am always sad this time of year and will NEVER FORGET.

My two great great grandfathers, John Braddock and Andrew Jackson Grizzard (yes, we claim distant relation to Lewis), surrendered with Lee at Appomattox.

They had mustered with the Gibson Guard in Sandersville and joined Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia to help defeat the northern invaders. One was captured at Gettysburg but later released in a prisoner exchange and went right back to fighting those damn yankees. They fought all the way to the end.

After surrendering at Appomattox, they hiked to Norfolk, where they caught a boat that sailed to Savannah. They got off and hiked back to their families to rebuild their lives.

I am always sad this time of year and will NEVER FORGET.
Good story, Jack!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT