ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Portal Breakdown

HHolland92

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Trevor Etienne - I’ll start by saying that I don’t think ETN is a freakazoid type RB, but I think he’s a super solid ball carrier. Low center of gravity, pretty shifty, not a bulldozer but powerful enough, has breakaway speed, good pass catching ability… really checks off almost all the boxes, but if there’s a knock on him it’s his blocking at UF was subpar.. that’s something I believe will get corrected in a hurry here bc he knows Kirby ain’t throwing guys out there if they can’t pick up a block and save CB15. With Branson Robinson coming off that terrible injury, I expect ETN to be the lead back sooner than later in 2024. He’s got the goods and talent to run for 1k this season IF he stays healthy and gets at least 170 carries. I’m pretty excited about this one, he’s going to make an immediate impact and he’s running behind a significantly better OL here than he had at UF. His camp reached out during the season and this one was over before he even hit the portal.

London Humphreys - in contrast to ETN, I think it may take Humphreys just a bit of time to get used to the day to day rapid pace of a school like UGA. It may come after spring in the fall, or it may be next year… getting him in for the bowl practices was a good idea to go ahead and throw him into the fire from an acclimation basis. When the light comes on here, he may be the most or second most pure talented WR in the room. He’s not Ladd McConkey, totally diff type of player.. this dude is 6’2+ and close to 200 lbs already. He’s very athletically gifted, can absolutely fly with elite game speed and he’s a state champion in the long jump.. for a bigger type guy, he’s elusive in the open field too.. he can beat you vertically or snag on you. Like ETN, this one was over immediately… went into portal with intentions of coming to UGA.

Michael Jackson - Has a thicker frame than you’d anticipate given his skillset, he can be more than a slot WR.. pretty versatile as a player. Could also be a kick returner. Has some impressive explosivity and speed. He has been hampered by injuries in the past, which is concerning considering the intensity level at UGA compared to USC on a day to day basis is a stark contrast.. but injuries can be such a random thing, it’s no sure thing that’s going to be an issue at Georgia. I think he will be in the two deep asap and will be a contributor in 2024, but I don’t think he’s going to come in and take Dillon Bell’s and Lovett’s targets, but there’s some potential to have an impact. Lincoln Riley was constantly trying to bring in his guys, I don’t think he truly gave him the opportunity he would have if he was hand picked. USC fans loved him and wanted him on the field more, they were much more upset about losing him instead of Domani Jackson.. thought that was interesting.

Xzavier McLeod - VERY talented dude here. Strong, moves well for his size.. a little undersized as a NT in what UGA has shown to have most success up front, having that 6’6 330 monster with good feet.. but I think X is pretty versatile in how you can use him. He’s just scratching the surface on his ability as a player… he’s not ready to come in and start right away, but I do think he can contribute in 2024. There was maturity issues in HS, there was maturity issues his first year at South Carolina.. so yeah, my antennas are up here on if UGA is just what he needs or if UGA is just too much for him like it was Smoke Bouie. I think he’s more eager to be coached hard and at a high level than Smoke was, but his growth off the field is still something to monitor. With that said and with those red flags, Kirby still took a chance on him.. if that doesn’t tell you the upside this guy has IF everything clicks then I don’t know what does. He wanted to go to UGA out of HS, was pressured to go to South Carolina (they also gave him a very nice NIL package) and he wasn’t ever truly happy there.. I do think he self sabotaged a bit there bc UGA was always where he wanted to be and he knew he was probably going to transfer at some point.

Jake Pope - Probably not the sexiest get out of the portal for the Dawgs, but I think there’s a need for bodies at the safety position in 2024. UGA is a couple injuries away from being in real trouble at the safety position, so this makes perfect sense to me. T-Rob has seen him work every practice the past two years, he’s signed off on him being a good option here. Will make an immediate impact on ST imo. Good size. Next season schedule is going to be a grind, getting a ready to go body in certainly doesn’t hurt. Came down to UNC and UGA, but as long as he was a take and wanted at UGA.. he was going to be a Dawg.

Colbie Young - I think he’s going to play a significant role in 2024 for UGA. I don’t think he’s going to put up gaudy numbers, but I can see him being a go to guy in tight games when you need a crucial 3rd down. He has a huge frame at 6’4 and can move. He looks like a TE but is a very fluid athlete. With Bowers, McConkey, and Rosemy not being here, there’s a lot of targets for Carson Beck to distribute. He gave Clemson fits last season. UGA put an emphasis on getting him in the fold as soon as he went into the portal and are very high on him. He’s going to help UGA win games in 2024. Miami and their fans weren’t too happy about losing him. Penn St made a run at him, but UGA was the clear front runner throughout his portal process.

Ben Yurosek - Being brought in to catch passes, plain and simple. He doesn’t come from the same brand as far as blocking goes, nor does he really have the frame to really do excel at that at the SEC level while being a one year rental and only having a few months to get acclimated. He has fair to solid hands in general, will have some drops.. but also can make some ridiculous catches. Creates good separation in the Pac. Can really move, not saying he has Bowers speed.. or even Delp speed.. but he can breakaway at times, which is intriguing. It certainly doesn’t hurt having another veteran TE in that room come the fall, I still expect Delp to be TE1 in 2024 as long as he’s healthy. Wants to play for a national title contending team and compete at the highest of levels for his last year.. came down to Texas and UGA, Texas focused on Niblack so this was pretty inevitable. Good pickup.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News