ADVERTISEMENT

A twist in my basketball interest

Saxondawg

Moderator but one of the nice ones.
May 29, 2001
Chamblee GA
www.robsuggs.com
I will always follow UGA basketball, win or lose or lose more or Crean. When I was a student at Furman in the 70s, I traveled to Charlotte for a 2-night tournament and watched the Paladins beat great UNC and NC State teams back to back. That kind of sealed my love for the sport. Basketball is just different--at times almost too tense for me. Most of the time, you'll play a LOT of games in one season that come down to the final minute. There's more intense thrill of victory/agony of defeat than any other game. Our football team plays how many really close ones? Basketball at the college level is madness, and not just in March.

As I was growing depressed over another UGA team with sinking fortunes, my son told me that his alma mater, North Georgia, steamed all its games from the obscure Peach Belt. They play Flagler, Georgia College, Georgia Southwestern, and a few schools you didn't know existed. UNG has a very nice venue, but a lot of these schools basically play in high school gyms. The camerawork is pretty bad. But the games are... pretty, pretty good. I can watch with no real pressure and just enjoy the beauty of the game, and yes, it's great even at this Div II level. The Nighthawks just won their 20th in a thrilling overtime game. We even drove up to Dahlonega with Sax Jr. for one and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I needed this. I'm going to be patient with UGA basketball and trust the building process. In the meantime, it's fun to have a second team with kids that have no NBA aspirations, just play for the joy of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News