ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Advice needed: best time to purchase tickets for a cross-country flight?

UGADawgGuy

a.k.a. 00 Dawg
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2001
Johns Creek, Georgia
Obviously, this is very non-Dawg. But I figured it couldn't hurt to ask this question here, as I know a ton of Venters fly much more frequently than I do.

One of my cousins is getting married in Seattle this fall (the day of the Vanderbilt game), and I plan to be there. This is one instance in which I pray it's a noon EDT kickoff, because that would mean I could catch the game in the morning (Pacific time) before heading over to the wedding. Obviously, I have some widely known, 20-year-old history with cousins' weddings on UGA game days, but at age 44, I'm certainly not repeating those mistakes.

In any event, I'm trying to time my airfare purchase to save as much as I can on my flights from ATL to SEA. Having almost no experience being selective about flights, I wanted to toss this out to the Vent for guidance.

Those of you who fly regularly, is there a reliable rule of thumb as to when I should aim to purchase tickets to get the best deal possible on a major carrier (i.e., not Spirit or another "economy" airline)? I've heard anything from "one month before the trip" to "as soon as possible," and I am just not sure which advice is most reasonable.

If you have any insight on this, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure this out!

-- 00 Dawg

Reactions: Stump One
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News