ADVERTISEMENT

After re-watching, I feel a lot better about the offense...

BulldawginNorCal

BAMF
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2016
Almost all of the perceived issues were:
1. Poor blocking by OL (as well as some perimeter)
2. Just a few missed throws & drops (#6 needs to do a better job surviving contact)
3. Untimely penalties on a few drives stopped us from getting into a rhythm (also starting 3 & out really tainted our view of the rest of the game)

Beck is our best QB (although I think we'd be fine with BV). He's just a much more natural thrower and has a really live arm. He's much more decisive, where the others hold onto the ball too long, and defer to their legs. There were several really sharp throws into the flats he made on the run. His intermediate throws were crisp & on-time. Other than the bad AS11 miss in the end zone to end 1H & the slant thrown behind Lovett, he looked pretty good. I also think his legs are good enough to be a weapon - especially considering how well he throws on the run.

Bobo had a few 'Monken-esque' play calls:
- Toss to RR0 on his long run
- Mekhi Mews long TD was brilliantly setup. He lined up in the backfield and motioned out to get man coverage w/ linebacker
- The long crossing route to CJ Smith was wide open
- The BV to Delp TD was a TE wheel route that looked identical to the Ladd TD in the NC
- ...overall, he was way more creative with formations & motions than I remember

Other thoughts:
- I love our young WRs (CJ Smith/Zeed/Evans). They physically look the part
- RBs will be fine if we can avoid another injury. RR0 looked much better than anticipated after early reviews had me concerned about his speed. Andrew Paul had pretty good burst/size as well
- I like Mekhi Mews, but I really hope we don't force the ball to him - we've got enough WR talent
- Brock is the best player in CFB
- I hope this week's film review causes the OL to step up for the rest of the season - as mentioned, they were the biggest thing holding us back. If we don't get stuffed on a few runs and keep the chains moving, we all feel MUCH different about the offense
- Not offense, but I really hope our young edge defenders can get ready - Chambliss is a liability

TL;DR - We should be fine w/ Bobo & Beck. OL needs to play to their ability :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News