ADVERTISEMENT

Americas Financial Situation

meandjr

National Champion
Gold Member
Aug 22, 2004
Ok so let’s leave out republicans and democrats. What has to happen to get America back on a sustainable financial path?

Ok so let’s leave out republicans and democrats. What has to happen to get America back on a sustainable financial path?
We need to quit wasting money. Letting politicians pad their own pockets. And as long as we are in debt we must stop giving money we don’t have away to ANYONE except our own nation. Cut out all the garbage programs and each law must be voted on individually not lumped in with thousands of other pork.

deporting the millions of illegals would be a great start.

Return to the gold standard.

Seize the endowments of every institution of higher education use the money to pay off student debt.

End the social security program.

And quit giving foreign countries money.

Open accountability/verification when spending tax dollars. A balanced budget. Make criminals pay for their crime with stiffer penalties up to death, put looters in prison for minimum of 20 yrs, and make them work off their prison expenses or stay in prison, illegal drug and sex trafficker’s (probably impossible,)
Legal immigration only. Term limits for politicians at all levels of govt. Redo the education system, it’s a $ pit and corrupt. Damn I think I could go on for the rest of the day. The thing is not much if at all seems to change when it comes to things I’d like to see happen.

deporting the millions of illegals would be a great start.

Return to the gold standard.

Seize the endowments of every institution of higher education use the money to pay off student debt.

I paid into the Social Security program for 56 years and I’m still paying into it. It’s my money whether you like it or not, adjusted for inflation, I think I’m getting screwed.

Making $5 or $100 per barrel of oil to pay down the debt wouldn’t hurt either, but it’s so far gone it can’t be corrected. Just start over

Last edited:
That would make the situation worse…

This is patently untrue and laughable. The CBO is full of crap and always has been.

Making a economy larger through deficit spending is not growing the economy, it is growing the debt. Almost all the economic growth we are seeing now is from government payments. How are unemployed migrants increasing government tax revenues, pray tell?

There is no such thing as a free lunch or free growth, because the cost to the healthcare system and government handouts are not being counted against this "so called growth".

So I see all the replies and every part has its place in helping but so many hands in the cookie jar that I don’t think anything will be done. Bottom line we are already broke and ALL politicians do is keep blowing more hot air.

social security???…..hell, I might go along with that if they would return every dime they took along with the interest I would have made if I had invested.

I would settle for a modest 10%…..which I believe is the average return for mutual funds for the last 30 years.

Last edited:
social security???…..hell, I might go along with that if they would return every dime they took along with the interest I would have made if I had invested.

I would settle for a modest 10%…..which I believe is the average return for mutual funds for the last 30 years.
Social security has always been a Ponzi scheme. I don't disagree, I want my money back too but I wouldn't hold my breath as there is no money in that account. That money was given away many years ago.

All that being said, the plan would be for those entering the workforce to eithe have the option to opt in or out. Or you do away with it all together and only pay back those who have paid in.

BTW-10% from SS is laughable. Look into the Galveston teachers union who opted out many years ago. They got out of SS system and invest their own retirement money. They have built a fortune while the rest of us will get a pittance.

" Unexpected surge in immigration. "

LOL you have got to be kidding me. The only people spending money in regards to immigrants is our government. 20% of the new job growth in 23 came from our Government. Someone please explain how people that largely dont work or pay taxes cause $7 trillion larger economy. Ill tell you , its the .....government!

This is patently untrue and laughable. The CBO is full of crap and always has been.

Making a economy larger through deficit spending is not growing the economy, it is growing the debt. Almost all the economic growth we are seeing now is from government payments. How are unemployed migrants increasing government tax revenues, pray tell?

There is no such thing as a free lunch or free growth, because the cost to the healthcare system and government handouts are not being counted against this "so called growth".
thank you.

Social security has always been a Ponzi scheme. I don't disagree, I want my money back too but I wouldn't hold my breath as there is no money in that account. That money was given away many years ago.

All that being said, the plan would be for those entering the workforce to eithe have the option to opt in or out. Or you do away with it all together and only pay back those who have paid in.

BTW-10% from SS is laughable. Look into the Galveston teachers union who opted out many years ago. They got out of SS system and invest their own retirement money. They have built a fortune while the rest of us will get a pittance.
Oh, I get it and agree.

Can’t imagine how bad the reaction would be if they just completely dissolved the program and no one got anything……if some think Jan 6th was bad, this would send a heck of a lot more over the edge.

The plan all along should have been giving people the option…..but I get why the program was created.

Me, investing 6.2 % of my annual salary through the years would make me & family much better off (than SS).

Do the math with another 6.2% that your employer contributed/s and see what that gives you….they’ve been playing with the money forever.

Good point on teachers, forgot about that…. my oldest teaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: shonuff253

I agree in principal, but I did just read yesterday that the social security system was 85% funded with last year's tax receipts. (sorry no link I can attach).

The real scam is medicare/medicaid and nobody will ever admit this. Last year it was funded at 15% of expenditures!!!

I paid into the Social Security program for 56 years and I’m still paying into it. It’s my money whether you like it or not, adjusted for inflation, I think I’m getting screwed.

Making $5 or $100 per barrel of oil to pay down the debt wouldn’t hurt either, but it’s so far gone it can’t be corrected. Just start over
I don’t disagree that it’s your money the government robbed and screwed you over.

I’m suggesting that the younger generation shouldn’t be robbed just because the older generation was. Especially when the odds of people entering into or entered the workforce the last 10-20 years ever seeing a dime of it is slim.

1) End Gerrymandering Congressional districts.
2) Real campaign reform and law passed to undo Citizens United.

These two things would fix 90% of America internal issues.

1) End Gerrymandering Congressional districts.
2) Real campaign reform and law passed to undo Citizens United.

These two things would fix 90% of America internal issues.

Interesting request. See the top 5 most gerrymandered districts. Any guesses what they all have in common?

21313.jpeg

Reactions: blackpug6
I don’t disagree that it’s your money the government robbed and screwed you over.

I’m suggesting that the younger generation shouldn’t be robbed just because the older generation was. Especially when the odds of people entering into or entered the workforce the last 10-20 years ever seeing a dime of it is slim.
You’ll have it, those are BS rumors, and I don’t think I was screwed.

Reactions: blackpug6

Absolutely would not make our border situation worse…man that is a classic Democrat take to our border disaster (your take is exactly what’s wrong with having an open border that the Dems strive for…let the illegals come in by the millions)

There’s plenty that can be let in under the legal laws we have already. We need and want immigration, but we need to know who, the background, and are they actually needed…not just Willy nilly because our buffoon president and his handlers want it that way (and most all know what the ulterior motive is)...I have to say this one issue alone tells me everything I need to know about democrats backing Biden and the Obama regime and in my thinking the main reason they’re a joke. Believe me there’s more issues regarding the dem polices…it’s just that this one is easy fixable if you don’t have a pathetic president that's for open borders. mo

Last edited:
I agree in principal, but I did just read yesterday that the social security system was 85% funded with last year's tax receipts. (sorry no link I can attach).

The real scam is medicare/medicaid and nobody will ever admit this. Last year it was funded at 15% of expenditures!!!

If you think Social Security is a Ponzi scheme or you want your money back you don't understand the system. It was created by Congress which is elected by the people. I'm not going to try and tell you that your Senator and Representative have your interest at heart. I understand DC is a mess, but you can't just throw up your hands and say everything sucks. The money isn't going to pork barrel projects or sent to the enemy overseas, so live with it.

Giving an option to join or not is not a practical solution. I'm glad for the teachers in Galveston if they have all made 10% a year. Two things to consider. One, what do you think is going to happen if you allow people to opt out? Many are going to spend their money and not save it and then you, the taxpayer, are going to pay for them in their old age one way or another. Two, there is no guarantee you are going to make 10% a year in the future. Presumably they are invested in the stock market otherwise they wouldn't have earned that much. Their funds didn't go up 10% each and every year because we have had some big swings in the market. Didn't people lose 20% or probably more in recent history. Where is the money when then probably need it more than ever in retirement?

I don't know what figures you looked at but according to the Social Security website for 2023, benefits cost about $1.392 trillion dollars and total income was about $1.350 trillion dollars, the actual numbers were 97%, so 85% is in the ballpark. But what's wrong with that? You do know that the system has been considered as pay as you go for quite a while, meaning that income should cover the payments. (I would guess 2023 was a little worse because of the large increase in COL for 2023 combined with lower payrolls). There is a reserve. It will not last forever as things are going and Congress will have to do something. But just like waiting until the last minute before the country would shut down when they are about to run out of money, they will wait until the last minute to make a change to Social Security because it's not real popular with the people on Social Security or close and that number keeps increasing.

Now please tell me why Medicare/Medicaid is a scam. If you weren't forced to contribute for future medical benefits, how many people would save for that. They would have no idea how much to save. And what happens to people without insurance and why is that a good way to operate. Look, it's not a perfect system, but at least people know that a large portion of their medical costs will be covered (and with a supplemental plan basically everything is covered) and that they are not at the mercy of doctors and hospitals charging whatever they want. Remember changes can always be made. The government has finally decided to do something about drug costs. A small step but it's a start.

Open accountability/verification when spending tax dollars. A balanced budget. Make criminals pay for their crime with stiffer penalties up to death, put looters in prison for minimum of 20 yrs, and make them work off their prison expenses or stay in prison, illegal drug and sex trafficker’s (probably impossible,)
Legal immigration only. Term limits for politicians at all levels of govt. Redo the education system, it’s a $ pit and corrupt. Damn I think I could go on for the rest of the day. The thing is not much if at all seems to change when it comes to things I’d like to see happen.

wow,
while I agree,
That's a lot to ask!

;)

Reactions: woofn
Why is this untrue?

even if You don't know how to play it,
continue your trek.
it still looks cool. eh?!

hyena killed and massacred 3 Kenyans.
1 dead, 3 badly messed up.

moral:
never go gathering wood at dusk in certain locations.

Pug!

Last edited:
Absolutely would not make our border situation worse…man that is a classic Democrat take to our border disaster (your take is exactly what’s wrong with having an open border that the Dems strive for…let the illegals come in by the millions)

There’s plenty that can be let in under the legal laws we have already. We need and want immigration, but we need to know who, the background, and are they actually needed…not just Willy nilly because our buffoon president and his handlers want it that way (and most all know what the ulterior motive is)...I have to say this one issue alone tells me everything I need to know about democrats backing Biden and the Obama regime and in my thinking the main reason they’re a joke. Believe me there’s more issues regarding the dem polices…it’s just this one is pathetic. jmo
Besides Mexico, what countries do most of our illegal immigrants come from before crossing in to the USA from Mexico?

" Unexpected surge in immigration. "

LOL you have got to be kidding me. The only people spending money in regards to immigrants is our government. 20% of the new job growth in 23 came from our Government. Someone please explain how people that largely dont work or pay taxes cause $7 trillion larger economy. I’ll tell you , its the .....government!
3M new jobs added from Jan 2023 to Jan 2024…

3% is Federal Government, of which half are Veterans Health
6% is State Government, of which half is education
10% is Local Government, of which 40% is education

So half of that 20% was teachers or healthcare workers serving veterans…

And to answer your question, immigrants pay taxes and buy things, like cars, gas, food, shelter, etc. I’m genuinely curious how you think an immigrant lives in this country without working when they aren’t eligible for any Federal assistance? How do they pay for housing? Food? I’m just dumbfounded that you are so blinded by hatred for a class of people that you make such obtuse assumptions.

Last edited:
If you think Social Security is a Ponzi scheme or you want your money back you don't understand the system. It was created by Congress which is elected by the people. I'm not going to try and tell you that your Senator and Representative have your interest at heart. I understand DC is a mess, but you can't just throw up your hands and say everything sucks. The money isn't going to pork barrel projects or sent to the enemy overseas, so live with it.

Giving an option to join or not is not a practical solution. I'm glad for the teachers in Galveston if they have all made 10% a year. Two things to consider. One, what do you think is going to happen if you allow people to opt out? Many are going to spend their money and not save it and then you, the taxpayer, are going to pay for them in their old age one way or another. Two, there is no guarantee you are going to make 10% a year in the future. Presumably they are invested in the stock market otherwise they wouldn't have earned that much. Their funds didn't go up 10% each and every year because we have had some big swings in the market. Didn't people lose 20% or probably more in recent history. Where is the money when then probably need it more than ever in retirement?

I don't know what figures you looked at but according to the Social Security website for 2023, benefits cost about $1.392 trillion dollars and total income was about $1.350 trillion dollars, the actual numbers were 97%, so 85% is in the ballpark. But what's wrong with that? You do know that the system has been considered as pay as you go for quite a while, meaning that income should cover the payments. (I would guess 2023 was a little worse because of the large increase in COL for 2023 combined with lower payrolls). There is a reserve. It will not last forever as things are going and Congress will have to do something. But just like waiting until the last minute before the country would shut down when they are about to run out of money, they will wait until the last minute to make a change to Social Security because it's not real popular with the people on Social Security or close and that number keeps increasing.

Now please tell me why Medicare/Medicaid is a scam. If you weren't forced to contribute for future medical benefits, how many people would save for that. They would have no idea how much to save. And what happens to people without insurance and why is that a good way to operate. Look, it's not a perfect system, but at least people know that a large portion of their medical costs will be covered (and with a supplemental plan basically everything is covered) and that they are not at the mercy of doctors and hospitals charging whatever they want. Remember changes can always be made. The government has finally decided to do something about drug costs. A small step but it's a start.
Medicaid was a huge blessing while my Mom was in the nursing home. Without it, there would have been nothing left of what little my parents had saved from working their entire lives.

Last edited:
3M new jobs added from Jan 2023 to Jan 2024…

3% is Federal Government, of which half are Veterans Health
6% is State Government, of which half is education
10% is Local Government, of which 40% is education

So half of that 20% was teachers or healthcare workers serving veterans…

And to answer your question, immigrants pay taxes and buy things, like cars, gas, food, shelter, etc. I’m genuinely curious how you think an immigrant lives in this country without working when they aren’t eligible for any Federal assistance? How do they pay for housing? Food? I’m just dumbfounded that you are so blinded by hatred for a class of people that you make such obtuse assumptions.
They are here illegally. I dont hate anyone. And when I lived in Atlanta , I was in the landscaping supply business , and I knew 200 illegals throughout the years, not a one of them paid Federal taxes. All of them had kids that went to schools. How are we going to afford to pay for 8 million more? Why should we?

Im not making assumptions. And if Veterans were so well taken care of then why are so many of them on the street w no help, while we are giving everything to illegals? Sounds like you like in the land of rainbows and unicorn farts.

Yes, Medicare was invented because NO insurance company would touch anyone over 65 back in the 60s. They still don’t have dental coverage because back then, no one over 60 had their own teeth. I meant to say I don’t feel screwed by social security, I’m thankful for it. It was the most painless way to a good basis of retirement. You couldn’t be more correct that if it were optional , few would do it

They are here illegally. I dont hate anyone. And when I lived in Atlanta , I was in the landscaping supply business , and I knew 200 illegals throughout the years, not a one of them paid Federal taxes. All of them had kids that went to schools. How are we going to afford to pay for 8 million more? Why should we?

Im not making assumptions. And if Veterans were so well taken care of then why are so many of them on the street w no help, while we are giving everything to illegals? Sounds like you like in the land of rainbows and unicorn farts.
You obviously hate they are here illegally and seem to have quite strong opinions towards their welfare based on that fact, which I don't share. Also, many pay Federal taxes through ITIN numbers and receive no benefits back from their payments. According to the IRS, in 2015, “4.4 million ITIN filers paid over $5.5 billion in payroll and Medicare taxes and $23.6 billion in total taxes."

I just for the life of me can't understand why Republicans are so naive about basic economics and that in our economy, having more workers IS A GOOD THING! Maybe this chart will help.

58939-flowchart.png

You obviously hate they are here illegally and seem to have quite strong opinions towards their welfare based on that fact, which I don't share. Also, many pay Federal taxes through ITIN numbers and receive no benefits back from their payments. According to the IRS, in 2015, “4.4 million ITIN filers paid over $5.5 billion in payroll and Medicare taxes and $23.6 billion in total taxes."

I just for the life of me can't understand why Republicans are so naive about basic economics and that in our economy, having more workers IS A GOOD THING! Maybe this chart will help.

58939-flowchart.png
Key word is “illegally”…… pretty sure that is what most have an issue with, including myself.

58939-flowchart.png
Once again, I dont hate anyone. The key word here is ILLEGAL, why is this so hard for you to understand? I do hate that MOST of the illegals do not have an ITIN number. This is from my own experience. They dont want to be in any system that can track them, I have experienced this first hand. I dont like the fact that they have multiple kids in school, take resources from all of our social services , and if they break the law and get bail, they just move away as there is no way to find them. This is all from my experience.

Im more concerned about AMERICAN welfare, if that bothers you , then tough tits.

Once again, I dont hate anyone. The key word here is ILLEGAL, why is this so hard for you to understand? I do hate that MOST of the illegals do not have an ITIN number. This is from my own experience. They dont want to be in any system that can track them, I have experienced this first hand. I dont like the fact that they have multiple kids in school, take resources from all of our social services , and if they break the law and get bail, they just move away as there is no way to find them. This is all from my experience.

Im more concerned about AMERICAN welfare, if that bothers you , then tough tits.
So then you support legal immigration? How about increasing it? Say 2M people allowed in legally per year.

2 million is too high. One million I can work with. The issue now is we have so many thats its skewed everything.
I can tell you right now that our population is about 335M people.

The Census Bureau put out a forecast of future population and if we allow the following number of immigrants per year, here's our population projection in 2100:
  • O immigrants = 226M (loss of 109M people)
  • ~600k net per year = 319M people (loss of 16M people)
  • 1.5M net per year = 435M people (+100M people)
During the Trump era, we let in a net of about 600k per year. Currently, we are closer to 1M per year.

Going back to my prior chart, continuing to grow GDP at 2% per year through 2100 will be impossible and I can tell you right now without population growth from immigration, we are looking at a very bleak future. Stagnant growth, aging population, defaulting on debt, lessening standard of living, mass poverty, deserted cities, etc.

My main point is we need more people! Our current population doesn't have enough babies to grow the population and achieve the economic growth we are used to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT