ADVERTISEMENT

An ethical or legal society?

PotimusWillie

B2B Caffeinated Nat’l Champion
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2009
Can ethics exist without laws?
Can laws exist without ethics?

I do believe the fall of man is the desire to move from ethical behavior to a legalistic society.

Legalistic societies can be controlled legally by those who make the laws.

And the removal of the expectation of logical ethical behavior destroys the culture of a society.

Just a thought for a Saturday morning. I’ve read the Sillies, so now I am bored.

To me laws ideally are things which are created to reflect when there is an ethical consensus in society. Ethics would be sufficient if you had an enlightened public although we definitely don’t have that.

Reactions: PotimusWillie
To me laws ideally are things which are created to reflect when there is an ethical consensus in society. Ethics would be sufficient if you had an enlightened public although we definitely don’t have that.
Yep.

Here is my thought on it. I welcome feedback.

Laws are the fence to corral the livestock.

A fence is set to keep the livestock from going places and doing things they shouldn’t do.

The area within the fence is where life takes places and the livestock exist together as neighbors and family.

The livestock historically learns to live within the fence because they are happy and the society is honored.

Their are rules within the society and the young are cared for and protected by the older.

The fence represents our laws. Laws are not written and should not be written to manipulate ethical behavior. That is our duty as a society.

The fence, the law, represents the absolute border, the limit of safe life.

When a society lives legally, life is dangerous. Safety lies within societal and cultural standards.

A legal society lives within the idea of living to the point of doing whatever doesn’t put you in jail or get you sued and you feel justified in your behavior.

Merry Christmas!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT