ADVERTISEMENT

As Kirby tries to win two titles in a row, was thinking how close Vince came to doing it three times...

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
Georgia finished each of the three seasons from 1980-1982 with legitimate national championship hopes on the line at the kickoff of each bowl game.
The 1980 season was of course a win, securing Dooley's lone national title.

The 1982 season was a clear cut no. 1 vs. no. 2 matchup which was rare in those days. We lost.

But in 1981, despite not playing the no. 1 team, UGA was no. 2 and playing simultaneously with no. 1. No. 2 Georgia in the Sugar vs. Dan Marino's Pitt Panthers and No. 1 Clemson in the Orange Bowl vs. Nebraska.
Had Clemson lost (they didn't) and UGA won (they didn't), UGA would've had consecutive national titles.
Georgia had already lost to Clemson previously that season in a 13-3 game. I was a kid at the time, but what I remember (I can't say it was absolutely correct) is that Herschel had the flu and was not near 100 percent for the game and Belue had a horrible game passing. I think we turned the ball over nine times. Nine times and only lost by ten...to the eventual national champs.

From 1980-1983
Georgia lost 4 total games and tied one.
1981- Clemson by ten points. Clemson eventually won their first national title.
1981- Pitt by four points on a late TD pass by Marino in the fourth quarter. Pitt finished 4 in the final polls.
1982- Penn State by four points. Georgia scored with almost four minutes left. Penn State was able to run out the clock aided by the referees missing a false start. Penn State won Jo Pa's first national title. Child molester was the DC for this game.
1983- Lost to Auburn 13-7 in a game that went down to the final minutes. Auburn finished third in the polls. Miami vaulted over them due to beating what many considered an unbeatable Nebraska team.
1983- Tied a Clemson team that finished 9-1-1, but was on probation. Ranked 11th in the final AP poll. Georgia finished fourth in the final poll.
Was a great run and so close to being so much better. Every loss was to a team that finished top four in the final rankings and the tie to a team just outside the top ten.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News