ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Best Kansas City BBQ

bfedawg

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2010
Need help. I will be driving through Kansas City at supper time tonight. Which bbq restaurant should I stop at? Go!

Need help. I will be driving through Kansas City at supper time tonight. Which bbq restaurant should I stop at? Go!
Oklahoma Joe's (Joe's Kansas City) , period. I'm over there weekly and have tried 'em all for years and years. I can only assume the guys who aren't recommending Joe's have never eaten there. It is the best ... and that is saying a lot because KC is the mecca of BBQ. Jack Stack and Q39 are good too ... but you asked for The Best.

Last edited:
Reactions: J-Dawg5
Used to live in KC - Arthur Bryant’s was my top quick stop. Jack Stacks was my preferred sit down/more formal spot.

As others have said, Joe’s is the place. The Z-man is the go to, and an extra order of burnt ends.

Reactions: 2-dawg phan
Dash is correct on Q39. Its great. So is Joe BBQ, but trust me on this if you drive up to Independence, and go to The Little BBQ Joint you wont be disappointed . Been a dozen times and it never fails .

Reactions: Anthony Dasher
Used to live in KC - Arthur Bryant’s was my top quick stop. Jack Stacks was my preferred sit down/more formal spot.
AB's and Gate's BBQ both were fantastic back in the 90's ... things have really changed for both organizations as they have grown to be a more commercialized chain in the metro area.

Oklahoma Joe's (Joe's Kansas City) , period. I'm over there weekly and have tried 'em all for years and years. I can only assume the guys who aren't recommending Joe's have never eaten there. It is the best ... and that is saying a lot because KC is the mecca of BBQ. Jack Stack and Q39 are good too ... but you asked for The Best.
I’ve eaten at Joes. It’s good. Like Q39 better

Reactions: dawgoholic1971
I’ve eaten at Joes. It’s good. Like Q39 better
As Will Farrell would say ... "I don't believe you!" I think you're on commission over there with the Q39 talk, that, or either ... Q39 serves Corona and Joe's doesn't! Q39 is dang good though, no question, but all of the serious BBQ eaters I know (with the "full-bodied" physique to prove it!) in the area go to Joe's. I've seen you Dash, sorry, but you don't fit the physical characteristics/profile to qualify to make such a claim!

Last edited:
I don't care for Kansas City bbq. Ketchup is for fries. Syrup is for pancakes. I avoid bbq joints in Kansas City, although I did go to Kansas City Barbeque in San Diego. Sauce tasted like a supermarket sauce. Decor was cool.

Reactions: Single Barrel Dawg
Haha. No. I’m serious. I’ve never had burnt ends as good as at Q39 and I’ve had them at Joes
burnt ends is definitely Q39's specialty ... they are d@mn good at it. I would encourage you to try Joe's again and venture outside the burnt ends arena! H#!! I'll take you guys the next time UGA comes up to play Mizzou - (btw I think Radi WOULD actually qualify in the aforementioned category, as would I)

I don't care for Kansas City bbq. Ketchup is for fries. Syrup is for pancakes. I avoid bbq joints in Kansas City, although I did go to Kansas City Barbeque in San Diego. Sauce tasted like a supermarket sauce. Decor was cool.
SMDH - That's like going to the Turks and Caicos Islands and saying ... "man, the beach and water just sucks here!".

In this order...

Q39. Thread over. Make a reservation. ALWAYS packed

Slaps. Another very good one. I eat here at least once every other week.

Joe's

Reactions: KCDawg34
Related but not...what’s everyone pick for best grocery store BBQ sauces?

Try Brobecks and get the Ham Salad app.

Like Slaps as well.

sonnys-bbq-locations.jpg

Reactions: stray and Merle1225
I lived there for years. Here is your list

Q39 really solid pick, newer to the rotation but very good

Jack Stack most diverse menu. Cheesie corn should not be missed nor should the crown rib. If you want a sandwich Old Russ is solid.

If you want a lunch stop, Oklahoma Joes in the gas station. Best fries on the planet.

Unlike some less sophisticated posters (looking at you, @Single Barrel Dawg), KC BBQ is the best in my opinion. I lived there for a while, go back to see friends, and do some business there from time to time. My thoughts, to be ignored at your own peril:

This is my order, but would expect many to take exception to Gates being no. 1 and I understand that. Tough crap.
  • Gates - numerous locations throughout town, crazy ordering system, love their sauce, and their beans are fantastic. Their sandwiches ... say, a "ham and a half" on white bread, are fantastic for lunch and 3am.
  • Q39 - my favorite to go sit down ... burnt ends as previously stated by Dash.
  • Oklahoma Joe's (now KC Joe's, or Joe's KC or something like that) - their sample tray (not on the menu any more, but if you order it they will likely give it to you) is really good. We catered our Mizzou game from them.
  • Jack Stack - haven't eaten there but have heard good things.
  • Arthur Bryant's - used to be the king. Not really a fan any more. Was better when it was in the original location before Arthur died.
Pro tip - the BBQ is fantastic, but go to Stroud's to get the best fried chicken and family style meal you can have. http://stroudsrestaurant.com/. Their old restaurant on 85th under the highway was best, but the newer locations check out. Save room for dessert ... their world famous Cinnamon Buns. Slather some butter on those, and you will increase the likelihood of a heart attack, something you thought impossible just a few minutes earlier after eating their fried chicken a bacon fat soaked green beans. You'll thank me later.

Unlike some less sophisticated posters (looking at you, @Single Barrel Dawg), KC BBQ is the best in my opinion. I lived there for a while, go back to see friends, and do some business there from time to time. My thoughts, to be ignored at your own peril:

This is my order, but would expect many to take exception to Gates being no. 1 and I understand that. Tough crap.
  • Gates - numerous locations throughout town, crazy ordering system, love their sauce, and their beans are fantastic. Their sandwiches ... say, a "ham and a half" on white bread, are fantastic for lunch and 3am.
  • Oklahoma Joe's (now KC Joe's, or Joe's KC or something like that) - their sample tray (not on the menu any more, but if you order it they will likely give it to you) is really good. We catered our Mizzou game from them.
  • Arthur Bryant's - used to be the king. Not really a fan any more. Was better when it was in the original location before Arthur died.
Pro tip - the BBQ is fantastic, but go to Stroud's to get the best fried chicken and family style meal you can have. http://stroudsrestaurant.com/. Their old restaurant on 85th under the highway was best, but the newer locations check out. Save room for dessert ... their world famous Cinnamon Buns. Slather some butter on those, and you will increase the likelihood of a heart attack, something you thought impossible just a few minutes earlier after eating their fried chicken a bacon fat soaked green beans. You'll thank me later.

Thank Gawd, you just saved the Dawgnation ‘86. Was beginning to think my Red & Black brethren had completely lost it and caught a BBQ Ignorance Virus! As 1971 mentioned above, Slaps is a newcomer in the area also but very, very good. AB’s and Gates have fallen way off over the past - but KC can’t be beat for BBQ, it truly is ground zero.

Reactions: LawDawg86

Gates is weak, the best thing about Arthur Bryant’s is you can go to the Negro League HOF, right next store. Jack Stack rocks, especially the Martin City location. Wife Saver in Augusta makes better fried chicken than Stroud’s.

Reactions: LawDawg86
Gates is weak, the best thing about Arthur Bryant’s is you can go to the Negro League HOF, right next store. Jack Stack rocks, especially the Martin City location. Wife Saver in Augusta makes better fried chicken than Stroud’s.
Phoenix, you ignorant slut. :)

Got to disagree with you on Gates ... their sauce is my favorite, and their beef sandwiches are awesome. I don't usually go there for ribs or brisket, more for the sammiches. We're gonna throw hands if you disrespect Strouds, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Lived in KC area during my formative years - for 99% of folks in the KC - bbq is done on a grill; the sauce is sweet and there is no other bbq than beef....yeah, its that bad. You want a steak go to KC....you want bbq come to the south...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT