ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Big Green Egg Thoughts?

I’ve had a Green egg for over 10 years and a few other grills. Had a neighbor that was basically just trying to get rid of his Primo so I bought it for cheap. Probably will use it for the first time this weekend but I have to admit...the shape and options it gives you when cooking seem to be pretty cool. Never seen or cooked on the Primo though so excited to try something new.
I'm sure you’ll love man. Having that plus the egg will give you a lot of flexibility too.

Reactions: CimarroneDawg
Gimmick. A gas grill will cook it better, you want to smoke something get an electric smoker. I got the biggest green egg I could get ten years ago, went nuts with it, cooked everything and it was good. But the time it takes, the effort to keep the temps correct, having to refill the coals....I haven't used it in 5 years. Just sits on the back deck

If you want to get rid of that BGE I’ll happily take it off your hands.

Reactions: Rolodawg2011
Had a BGE for 20 yrs. The "large" I have has an 18" cooking grid. Since getting a Traeger 3 years ago I've only grilled on the BGE maybe 10 times. The BGE is triple the trouble that the Traeger IMO. If you do not have one of those fancy digital temp control fan/blower units ($250-500 bucks) that controls your BGE temp then you will have to babysit the damn thing while cooking for long hrs. Some folks like all that attention to detail cooking but I got tired of that shit pretty quick. Steaks, burgers, chicken are a breeze on the BGE but not the cuts of meat that require 7-9 hrs of smoking. To each their own I suppose.

Had a BGE for 20 yrs. The "large" I have has an 18" cooking grid. Since getting a Traeger 3 years ago I've only grilled on the BGE maybe 10 times. The BGE is triple the trouble that the Traeger IMO. If you do not have one of those fancy digital temp control fan/blower units ($250-500 bucks) that controls your BGE temp then you will have to babysit the damn thing while cooking for long hrs. Some folks like all that attention to detail cooking but I got tired of that shit pretty quick. Steaks, burgers, chicken are a breeze on the BGE but not the cuts of meat that require 7-9 hrs of smoking. To each their own I suppose.

Not to sound arrogant, but if you have to babysit your BGE you’re doing something wrong. The key to these style cookers is their ability to hold temps and be stable.

I’m thinking about getting my father a Big Green Egg for his birthday. Does anyone have one and stand by that purchase vs. another ceramic grill like a Kamado Joe? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance.
Best gift you can buy a male

Not to sound arrogant, but if you have to babysit your BGE you’re doing something wrong. The key to these style cookers is their ability to hold temps and be stable.

SAVE IT.............Geezus Cussin Cryst!

I have a bacon wrapped pork loin on my BGE right this minute and I agree with the above poster.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Egg but the KJ has improved leaps and bounds in the past three/four years and comes with so much more than the egg. It is the better value and I have heard they cook just as well.

But go in person and visit them. If you’re in the ATL area, I recommend GA Spa company for Eggs and ATl Grill Company for KJ.

this was back in 2019.. do you still feel that way? I have rebuilt my deck from 12x16 to 12x25 so now i have room for a new grill and was trying to decide whether to get a BGE or another brand..

this was back in 2019.. do you still feel that way? I have rebuilt my deck from 12x16 to 12x25 so now i have room for a new grill and was trying to decide whether to get a BGE or another brand..
@Single Barrel Dawg would agree the KJ is more innovative than the BGE. I’m a BGE guy but only bc I had a friend who sold them so I got mine at cost. Once these wear out I’ll probably make the switch

Reactions: dubzga
Get a KJ. @Golden Boy with disagree with me, but the KJ is fabulous and does grilling, roasting, pizza, smoking et al. really well. It is a swiss army knife grill.

I’m thinking about getting my father a Big Green Egg for his birthday. Does anyone have one and stand by that purchase vs. another ceramic grill like a Kamado Joe? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance.
Love my BGE. I like the mesh closure on the Kamado tho

I have an egg but would buy a KJ

Get a KJ. @Golden Boy with disagree with me, but the KJ is fabulous and does grilling, roasting, pizza, smoking et al. really well. It is a swiss army knife grill.

El Oh El! These threads really do live on in perpetuity, don't they?

I do love my BGE. I got it as a retirement present in late 2013 and cook on it frequently. It does everything I need. Now, in fairness, if I were making the purchase decision today, I would definitely check out the KJ, too, to make an informed comparison and decision. My guess is that you really can't go wrong with either.

You will love it. I have BGE and a new RecTeq. So far I still prefer the BGE by a big margin.

Yes...after you get one you feel like you have joined a cult of egg heads. When I first got mine 8 years ago it changed my life all I could think of what was I going to cook on it next and what eggserorries I needed for it. It’s probably one of my most cherished things I won. There are lots of good Kamado grills but I think the eggs are the best and it’s an Atlanta Company.

have you got a blackstone? talk about cults

I have a green egg and love it but pellet grill is the way to go. I'm buying a rectec grill. Made in Augusta Georgia. That's the way to go.

I gave my BGE to father in law when I bought my RT700.

top 3 biggest mistake of my life

Big fan of Kamado Joe here and recommend them over BGE. Here are my main reasons:

-Better customer service (anecdotally since I haven’t had to replace or repair anything)

-More innovative with more first party accessories and add ons

-Hinge holds the lid in position at any point. BGE will slam shut with weight of lid. This is a big ease of use factor and helps avoid any crushed fingers

-Comes with all needed extras out of the box. BGE is ala carte

-Red and Black is a most excellent color scheme for the Dawg faithful
Agree with these 100%. I went with the KJ and have been super happy. My neighbor has. BGE and he is very jealous of the pneumatic hinge. I can lift it and let it stay in place open withmy pinky finger. But the ability to go super hot is why I like ceramic over the pellet. But I have never had a pellet smoker so only speculating. Ceramic is definitely my preference.

I don't think you need an xl unless you are feeding an army everytime, large works just fine, I would definitely get a table though. I cooked on my buddies xl , just burgers and damn that thing got hot, now maybe if you are cooking multiple butts and ribs
I think mine is a large, but there have been many times I had wished I had an xl. I smoke more than I grill.

They’re great but the RecTec, Traeger, PitBoss pellets grills are a better choice imo. Just so easy and it does more things!

if you want a pellet grill just use the oven. Basically the same thing except you don’t have to worry about running out of pellets.

I’ve had a BGE for 18 years. I’ve had to replace a few parts but it still cooks better than my neighbors kJ. I will admit, my neighbor is from Philly

Reactions: MaitlandFloridaDawg
Love that this thread bubbled back up.

If you can cook, you can cook. You know? Anybody who can cook can make great food on almost any decent rig.

I'm an egg guy, but if it fell over tomorrow, I'd buy a KJ just to get some strange. And then I'd be a KJ guy and that would be just fine too.

I have both, cook exactly the same, Kamado Joe offers more bang for the buck and has better innovation. You can’t go wrong with either.

They are the best!

Big fan of Kamado Joe here and recommend them over BGE. Here are my main reasons:

-Better customer service (anecdotally since I haven’t had to replace or repair anything)

-More innovative with more first party accessories and add ons

-Hinge holds the lid in position at any point. BGE will slam shut with weight of lid. This is a big ease of use factor and helps avoid any crushed fingers

-Comes with all needed extras out of the box. BGE is ala carte

-Red and Black is a most excellent color scheme for the Dawg faithful

15 year BGE owner here and agree with the above. If i was in the market I would buy Kamado Joe today. My father in law, a Tech guy, has a red one and I often think of swapping with him.

I have both, cook exactly the same, Kamado Joe offers more bang for the buck and has better innovation. You can’t go wrong with either. I had a 1/8" chip show up in the glazing on my KJ dome, I sent them a picture and they replaced both my dome and bottom. They rectified the situation immediately without issue or question. They back their product. I'm sure BGE will do the same.

Do yourselves a favor and go check out grillsgrills.com before making another grill purchase. Also check out their FB page. They have excellent grills and even better customer service! You really can’t beat them on value either.

I was thinking of getting the bge large.. which KJ is close to the same size? Which kj would you recommend?

I'm not super familiar with their lineup but I think the Classic Joe is the equivalent to the BGE Large. They have three series of Joe's so you'll have to choose which advancements you want or can live without.

I will say, while the KJ's cost more than the BGE's - you get a hell of a lot more included with the KJ's, and if you bought all of that same stuff for your egg I would think the price would be close to if not more than the KJ kits that are sold.

Reactions: Kylo Ren
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT