ADVERTISEMENT

Old Take Buck's Guide to Office Christmas Party Etiquette....

Hydrant Chaser

Kirby Whisperer
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
It’s the time of year where a lot of people ask Buck for advice on how to handle a Christmas party for work.

Never be the first one at the party. This might mean awkward small talk with the boss and his wife before being properly “loosened up”. Buck says he would never enter a football game without stretching first. By the same token it’s nice to loosen up with a drink before you arrive. Buck warns about showing up too late as the best food may be picked over and the top shelf liquor drained. Buck advises to be what he calls “fashionably late”. According to Buck this gives off the vibe that “I’m here to party but I have other options in my life”.

Buck is not a big fan of Christmas themed sweaters which he feels are “tacky”. Instead, Buck prefers to wear a Red lettermans’ jacket. It shows that you are accomplished but in a red Christmas color. Buck prefers to set off the ensemble by wearing a matching Santa’s hat cocked slightly askew atop his head. This shows that he is a person deserves to be taken seriously but doesn’t take himself too seriously. Key point: have your dress say “I’m festive and approachable”.

When signing autographs during a Christmas party, Buck likes to add a little seasonal flare by signing “Merry Christmas” before signing his name, number and “Go Dawgs!”.

Buck cautions that if you’re imbibing alcohol in a professional situation that’s it’s best to drink what Buck refers to as “in moderation”. Buck divulged that some people drink too much in these situations and then do things that they would never do sober. Buck shared some tips for avoiding this. Buck reveals that if you are going to drink liquor and beer, drink the liquor first. To Buck, this makes more sense than drinking beer first and following it with liquor. Buck also counseled eating before you drink. Nugget: Buck doesn’t recommend drinking on an empty stomach.

Buck doesn’t suggest letting your date dress in too sexy a manner unless you closely monitor her alcohol intake. Buck cautioned that if your date gets too drunk it can serve as a source of anxiety and humiliation at work even after the holidays. Buck likes to “get in good“ with the hostess by complimenting her on her figure. Buck eshews complimenting a male host on his figures as this can lead to misunderstandings. Buck quotes Tone Loc here..."ain't no plans with a man, this is the 80's and I'm down with the ladies".

Buck believes that Christmas has over time deteriorated and people forget the true meaning of Christmas which is to make fun of Tech’s recruiting class and watching bowl games. Buck is hip, but seemingly yearns for a simpler place and time. Buck has concerns that the NIL may mean players can be bought “right off your roster”. Buck hints that we may lose some players due to the NIL and portal. Buck foresees that college football may be changing and becoming more like the CFL.

Then Buck went off on a tangent about the super appetizer platters from Dantanna’s that will be the hit of any Christmas party you throw.

Further Buck sayeth not…

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News