ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Came across the Story on the Main Board .... Wild Story....

SatillaRiverDawg

Shirtless Studs only Please
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2012
This guy is lucky to be alive..... (not me)....

Link to the Post...https://forums.rivals.com/threads/i-coded-in-the-hospital-5-days-ago.1098196/

"I coded in the hospital 5 days ago​

I want to share a story with all of you of what happened to me last week. Yes it will be long. Yes it will be depressing. However, we will all have to get this procedure done in the years to come and I want to warn you of what happened to me. Hopefully I can help at least one of you not make the same mistake I did.

Three weeks my sister (who turned) 45 had an esophagus procedure. They asked her if she wanted a colonoscopy procedure checkup while under sedation. She said OK. The procedure did not go well. She had advanced large polyps and they were the bad kind. She went in a week later for a long surgery to remove them all. I guess there is some type of hereditary component to these polyps and I was encouraged to get checked out immediately. So I called my doctor and they got me my first colonoscopy exam last Wednesday (5 days ago). I did not have my sisters issues and do not need another colonoscopy for 5 years. My post-op instructions were go home, drink lot of fluids and rest. Instead I went home, drank nothing and mowed the yard. I immediately had severe chest pains. Went to the hospital and was having a heart attack. I had thrown a blood clot. Doctor put in a stent and the surgery team left the room except for one nurse who was cleaning up. I felt good again. Then suddenly the pain returned. It returned real bad. I told the nurse and she had the team rush back in. I had thrown a second blood clot and my new stent was 100% blocked. I had no blood flow to the left side of my heart. I heard the doctor yell "he is coding get the paddles" and then in my mind I was sitting at my kitchen table with my wife and two daughters. We were not talking just sitting there. I had flatlined and was dead. This is where my mind went during that time. There was no tunnel with light. Just sitting at a kitchen table with my family in silence. They tried chest compressions with no success. They paddled me once, then twice and on the third round they took the juice way up and I was back. I was instantly confused. Where was I? What was happening? Then I remembered the heart attack and realized I had coded and was in a battle for my life. I spent the remaining time of the second surgery in prayer. Eventually the doctor put in a second stent and broke up the blockage.

The hospital chaplain loitered around my room the rest of the night. I was in bad shape. I texted friends and said my goodbyes. They did not want me to even sleep as they thought I would throw another clot. My vitals were a mess that first night. Blood pressure 180/120 and resting pulse rate over 100. The nurses could not feel a pulse in my legs and said my feet and legs were cold. My body was having trouble circulating blood. Then 24 hours later everything suddenly changed. My numbers just returned to normal. I am now at 110/70 and resting heart rate in the low 60s. My ejection fraction rate came back in the normal range in the low 50s. I had suffered no permanent heart damage. I am now home resting and feel like I got a second chance at life. I am on massive doses of blood thinners, anti coagulants and other drugs. I am still at a high risk of throwing another clot for another 1.5 weeks they said, and will be on blood thinners for at least several more months.

So why I am sharing this? I am sharing this because it was 100% preventable. My surgeon said that severe dehydration and physical exertion is the textbook definition of how make a blood clot. I did this. I caused this. I will own my mistake. I am officially the biggest idiot on the Main Board. I was massively dehydrated from the laxative stuff you have to take before a colonoscopy. I did not follow my post op instructions of rehydrating and resting and almost died from my mistake. This was not a "I ate too many donuts" plaque heart attack, these were blood clots from massive dehydration and exercise.
I will go back to drinking bleach now. I promise not to mess up our MB with anymore depressing stuff in the future. I felt like I needed to share this though. There are many thousands in this message board and if even one person took the time to read this and not make my mistake in the future then it was worth the time it took for me to type it out. Thanks for listening to anybody that made it this far."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News