ADVERTISEMENT

Causes of Inflation.....

Biden had economic tailwinds. Big time. Look at the run up in markets leading into 2021 and the amount of liquidity folks had between savings from Covid and tax free RE-fi proceeds from ultra low interest mortgages.

And despite the fact that anyone with a brain could see that we had already recovered economically. And the only ones super focused on keeping things shut down in early 2021 were politically minded folks who couldn’t bear the thought of agreeing with Trump / DeSantis - the democrats on a straight party line injected another trillion dollar stimulus.

And to make matters worse kept supply chains constrained with continued shutdowns and unnecessarily long quarantine rules for anyone 15 people removed from COVID. We had vaccines at that point. But the continued virtue signaling and shaming kept supply chains eff’d.

Straight party line. Demand >>>>>>> Supply = inflation. I blame the fed also for acting too late.

Defenders will say that global inflation proves this was not a US issue. True to some extent but remember that the World turns on US economic policy, the cost of US treasuries, US currency, etc, etc. Bottom line we were going to have some inflarion coming out of Covid but our Government threw gas on it.

When inflation hits as hard as it does, honestly the President probably gets too much blame. Covid took out Trump. Indirectly it is going to take out Biden as well - because the aftermath of Covid led to inflation which sure as shit effects everyone and is the number one reason he’s polling so poorly.

All that said - the things that help on inflation that you can control from a government standpoint are supply side economics and restraints on policy injexting more liquidity into the system.

Supply side constraints: government regulation in general and rhetoric painting big business as the enemy. Shutdowns. Government lawsuits shutting down M&A. Anything that keeps businesses operating at less than full potential

Excess demand: government spending. Stimulus. Government led liquidity infusions.

Inflation Would have been a thing regardless, but policy poured gasoline on it.

Presidents don’t control interest rates, but policy leading to rampid inflation forced the fed to raise them: too late and way too fast in my opinion. But had we done a better job with policy a few years ago, mortgage rates would be in the 4-5 range. Not the 6-7 range. Both Biden and Trump II should benefit from falling rates beginning this summer.

Bottom line - inflation would have been bad but not as bad with republican economic policy. And going forward in general the basic Econ 101 rules of supply / demand work better IMHO with republican policy: less regulation being the biggest “Trump II economic plan” that works much better than what we have now. It isn’t a Trump thing per se. It is a general principal of capitalism thing.
Very well stated. The one thing I would add is that I think there was a more sinister reason for continuing the shutdowns in 2021 than just trying to stick it to Trump and DeSantis, I think the lockdown nazis genuinely had a difficult time giving up their emergency powers. Politicians don’t usually voluntarily give up control, if they could have gotten away with permanent lockdowns they would have continued it permanently.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/open-vault/2023/august/explaining-inflation-disinflation-deflation
You’re speaking of deflation in prices of specific items, which does not necessarily indicate general economic deflation. You can always find specific items with falling prices. The Fed defines deflation as a “sustained decrease in the price of goods and services.”
I think we mostly agree and are getting caught up in semantics, but I do think there was a true deflationary trend at the beginning of COVID due to lockdowns and a temporary jump in unemployment, but it was very short lived because the job market and GDP bounced back so quickly. Remember, GDP dropped by over 30% for one quarter. You can’t have inflation with that kind of GDP drop. The next quarter GDP rose by a similar amount and the deflationary trend instantly became inflationary.

Inflation is caused by big businesses changing whatever they want no matter what is going on. Just plain greed by fat cats who want that extra house and jet. Government has no control over these people and there is a certain group who only care about giving more tax breaks. I feel so sorry for people who can only make a billion dollars when they could be making two.

While I agree that businesses will pile on with larger prices sometimes, it is because they are using inflation as a cover. A manufacturer’s higher profit margin is not what drives inflation. It can provide a convenient excuse however.

a 4 yr degree or law school does not make you an authority on this subject and citing years of govt agency experience only serves to rob you of credibility when speaking of economic theory.

Very well stated. The one thing I would add is that I think there was a more sinister reason for continuing the shutdowns in 2021 than just trying to stick it to Trump and DeSantis, I think the lockdown nazis genuinely had a difficult time giving up their emergency powers. Politicians don’t usually voluntarily give up control, if they could have gotten away with permanent lockdowns they would have continued it permanently.
It was criminal especially in hindsight. Short memories.

I think we mostly agree and are getting caught up in semantics, but I do think there was a true deflationary trend at the beginning of COVID due to lockdowns and a temporary jump in unemployment, but it was very short lived because the job market and GDP bounced back so quickly. Remember, GDP dropped by over 30% for one quarter. You can’t have inflation with that kind of GDP drop. The next quarter GDP rose by a similar amount and the deflationary trend instantly became inflationary.
I think you’re right, but, for what it’s worth and maybe not much, the BLS chart on urban CPI does not show a dip below zero in that time period. It’s hard to take government data as accurate and truthful though, imo.

While I agree that businesses will pile on with larger prices sometimes, it is because they are using inflation as a cover. A manufacturer’s higher profit margin is not what drives inflation. It can provide a convenient excuse however.

a 4 yr degree or law school does not make you an authority on this subject and citing years of govt agency experience only serves to rob you of credibility when speaking of economic theory.

Last paragraph....exactly

I have a 4 year degree
I have a Master's Degree
I worked for the government for years

I stay out of economics for the most part. I'm out of my league, on those matters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT