ADVERTISEMENT

Chaney looks like a very underwhelming OC hire ...

HeulenHund2

Letterman and National Champion
Apr 30, 2015
I don't get why Kirby hired a retread with very mixed success. His only really impressive offenses were at Purdue with drew Brees at QB. Not only that, he ran a type of spread then.
Oddly enough Schottenheimer's only impressive offense was when Brees was his QB with The San Diego Chargers.
I like Pittman as OL coach, but We've almost guaranteed a so so offense with Chaney IMO.

I don't get why Kirby hired a retread with very mixed success. His only really impressive offenses were at Purdue with drew Brees at QB. Not only that, he ran a type of spread then.
Oddly enough Schottenheimer's only impressive offense was when Brees was his QB with The San Diego Chargers.
I like Pittman as OL coach, but We've almost guaranteed a so so offense with Chaney IMO.

Yeah, I'm not sure about this one. He really needed to hit a homerun with this hire, and I'm not sure this does it. I'm also not sure it will excite Eason either. Surely he had more exciting candidates than this.

Looking at his resume...I get the exact opposite reaction.

Chaney has coached 3 different QBs who had over 3,000 passing yards in a single season . (And one of them...Brees did it 3 different years.)

Chaney has had 7 different WRs to have more than 1,000 receiving yards in a single season..

He has had 6 different RBs to gain over 1,000 yards in a season.

He has never coached for a team with the overall talent and potential as a Georgia.

He appears to be a very solid and experienced football coach who has found ways to maximize the talent he had around him
and produce good results with what he had to work with.

That, plus a new OL coach whose O lines led the SEC in FEWEST sacks each of the past 4 years should be very appealing to
Jacob Eason and his family.

Yeah, I'm not sure about this one. He really needed to hit a homerun with this hire, and I'm not sure this does it. I'm also not sure it will excite Eason either. Surely he had more exciting candidates than this.

Looking through Chaney's results I see Schot

Chaney has coached 3 different QBs who had over 3,000 passing yards in a single season . (And one of them...Brees did it 3 different years.)

Chaney has had 7 different WRs to have more than 1,000 receiving yards in a single season..

He has never coached for a team with the overall talent and potential as a Georgia.

He appears to be a very solid and experienced football coach who has found ways to maximize the talent he had around him

That, plus a new OL coach whose O lines led the SEC in FEWEST sacks each of the past 4 years should be very appealing to

Look at the broader picture, I posted his results above, He has been in the bottom half of CFB offenses most years, several were near the bottom.

Last edited:

Well, I know diddly squat about who he should hire. It just seems to me there were better, more exciting hires than this. It sounds like he wanted Pittman, so he hired the OC that could achieve that. As for Kevin Sherrer, that sounds like he hired someone he could mold into the kind of DC he wants. I'm not terrible concerned about the defense with Smart being here. It's the OC that needs to be the homerun hire.

Well, I know diddly squat about who he should hire. It just seems to me there were better, more exciting hires than this. It sounds like he wanted Pittman, so he hired the OC that could achieve that. As for Kevin Sherrer, that sounds like he hired someone he could mold into the kind of DC he wants. I'm not terrible concerned about the defense with Smart being here. It's the OC that needs to be the homerun hire.

To Me Chaney looks like Schotty 2.0.
Richt went looking for a type and overlooked poor results on Schotty's resume.
It looks like Kirby did the same thing.
This is similar in We hired yet another OC on his way down as opposed to on his way up.
I wouldn't be surprised if Saban duped him into this.

To Me Chaney looks like Schotty 2.0.
Richt went looking for a type and overlooked poor results on Schotty's resume.
It looks like Kirby did the same thing.
This is similar in We hired yet another OC on his way down as opposed to on his way up.
I wouldn't be surprised if Saban duped him into this.

I would hope he's smart enough to not listen to a future competitor, even if he does trust that competitor.

OOKS
I would hope he's smart enough to not listen to a future competitor, even if he does trust that competitor.

I don't trust Kirby's judgement after this hire. His record indicates a very good year for a Chaney offense is mediocre.
This looks so much like Schotty. Kirby hired a guy with a so.so to weak record on his way down..I just don't see what KS was thinking. Why not go hard after Bloomgren ?
I'm reminded of something Coach Pruitt said about DBs. Why would anybody expect a player who didn't get ints in HS to get them in college ?

This isn't the common wisdom, but I think that lack of talent -- not Brian Schottenheimer -- was the reason our offense sucked. And if you want to blame a coach, blame Mark Richt for his habitual inability to manage a roster.

First of all, Lambert is the worst quarterback to play for Georgia since ... when? How is it that he was our only option? Massive recruiting failure.

Speaking of crummy recruiting, Richt was never able to put together a top offensive line, and our line this year blew.

And how could a coach who runs a pro-style offense let his corps of wide receivers get so depleted?

So, okay, Chaney doesn't seem to be the most exciting hire, and I don't think he's going to be that successful next year, given what he's got to work with (which is probably comparable to what he's had in past stops). But I'll bet that he'll do just fine once he actually has some talent to work with.

Reactions: pathdocdawg
This isn't the common wisdom, but I think that lack of talent -- not Brian Schottenheimer -- was the reason our offense sucked. And if you want to blame a coach, blame Mark Richt for his habitual inability to manage a roster.

First of all, Lambert is the worst quarterback to play for Georgia since ... when? How is it that he was our only option? Massive recruiting failure.

Speaking of crummy recruiting, Richt was never able to put together a top offensive line, and our line this year blew.

And how could a coach who runs a pro-style offense let his corps of wide receivers get so depleted?

So, okay, Chaney doesn't seem to be the most exciting hire, and I don't think he's going to be that successful next year, given what he's got to work with (which is probably comparable to what he's had in past stops). But I'll bet that he'll do just fine once he actually has some talent to work with.

Schotty has a long history of poor results with QBs. I pointed that out the day he was hired, and of course it pissed off some people.
A good QB coach likely would have gotten more out of all 3 QBs. Compare Ramsey to where He was by last season's Belk Bowl.
I don't give a rat's pellet about a hire being exciting or not. I care that Chaney has a poor record and he's past the age He's likely to get any better.

In other words,
THE EXACT SAME THING WE HEARD ABOUT SCHOTT.
An underwhelming hire from an underwhelming, safe hire.

Zero programs improving on his watch: McGarity Out.

In other words,

Actually no, any one who told you that about Schott (and for the record, i think you are making it up) is a fool. Scott was an NFL guy....every NFL team has more talent than every college team

In other words,

Oh God, another Richt disciple. You can't even have a relevant opinion on Smart at this point, and absolutely nothing in his resume suggests anything other than he is a great coach and recruiter, who has the potential to be a great head coach. How about we let the man coach a game, perhaps a season or two before we deem him a failure. Smart's resume trounces the hell out of Richt's resume when he was hired at UGA. I don't remember you guys whining about that, after the failure of Donnan who everyone thought was a great coach.

Oh God, another Richt disciple. You can't even have a relevant opinion on Smart at this point, and absolutely nothing in his resume suggests anything other than he is a great coach and recruiter, who has the potential to be a great head coach. How about we let the man coach a game, perhaps a season or two before we deem him a failure. Smart's resume trounces the hell out of Richt's resume when he was hired at UGA. I don't remember you guys whining about that, after the failure of Donnan who everyone thought was a great coach.

According to the Richt fans....Donnan went 0-12 all 5 seasons....

LMAO...yep, the guy who gets paid to know this stuff is outwitted by you....

It sure wouldn't be the first time, in fact about this time last year I was posting something similar about Schottenheimer and somebody like you was posting something very similar to what you are now.

Actually no, any one who told you that about Schott (and for the record, i think you are making it up) is a fool. Scott was an NFL guy....every NFL team has more talent than every college team

In fact the same argument WAS used last year when Schotty's record was called into question. People like You, perhaps even You put it off on a lack of talent.

Oh, i do think we lacked talent...in fact reports are that Kirby is appalled at our lack of any depth. That said, to say Schotty hasn't had talent in the past, which was what people are saying about Chaney, is untrue. Follow Helen, follow Richt apologist....That said, I don't blame Schotty...that is a ruse or a slight of hand by Richt apologists....the buck stopped with CMR...he recruits talented star ratings, but zero depth...not only did we not have a qb, we didn't have but one WR of any level skill...(one raw in addition to this), etc and our o-line, except for one year has been pretty pitiful.

The argument isn't the same as with BS....Chaney is going to have probably the most overall talented team he has ever had. LK's UT is probably the only one close. BS got less talent when he came here than he has ever seen in his career.

The argument isn't the same as with BS....Chaney is going to have probably the most overall talented team he has ever had. LK's UT is probably the only one close. BS got less talent when he came here than he has ever seen in his career.

Chaney is 53, he's coached pros, then high college and worked his way down the ladder to Pitt, all with meddling results. Now he's supposed to come in 200lb overweight, and past the age coaches improve and be better than he's ever been ? Pardon me for being skeptical.

Chaney is 53, he's coached pros, then high college and worked his way down the ladder to Pitt, all with meddling results. Now he's supposed to come in 200lb overweight, and past the age coaches improve and be better than he's ever been ? Pardon me for being skeptical.

Not sure why you keep bringing weight into it. Plenty of hefty coaches have done well...hell, the best time of the Patriots had 2 coordinators who could have been Jenny Craig before pictures for...well, for everyone.

Oh, i do think we lacked talent...in fact reports are that Kirby is appalled at our lack of any depth. That said, to say Schotty hasn't had talent in the past, which was what people are saying about Chaney, is untrue. Follow Helen, follow Richt apologist....That said, I don't blame Schotty...that is a ruse or a slight of hand by Richt apologists....the buck stopped with CMR...he recruits talented star ratings, but zero depth...not only did we not have a qb, we didn't have but one WR of any level skill...(one raw in addition to this), etc and our o-line, except for one year has been pretty pitiful.

Pruitt was well on his way to building excellent depth on defense. Is it surprising Kirby wants to take credit ?

Not sure why you keep bringing weight into it. Plenty of hefty coaches have done well...hell, the best time of the Patriots had 2 coordinators who could have been Jenny Craig before pictures for...well, for everyone.

You combine the lack of personal pride, bad health and a bad record, yeah, I take note.
A major difference in pro ball is not having to chase 17 and 18 year old kids around recruiting them. The man can barely waddle to practice, let alone run from school to school after kids.

Plus, he has done well with QB's. Biggest thing is he has adjusted to his talent level...UT 2012, Pitt having a more run centric style team (God bless James Conner) and he obviously found a way for Brees to not just be a great qb but actually win games at Purdue. As with any OC, give him a great OL, and he'll be fine. As for Arky, they weren't looking, under BB to begin with, to be flashy or big points. BB wanted UW offense and he had that. In fact, go back to our last game against ARky, the biggest problem for them was that they moved and scored running ball first score...Then they, for whatever reason (and they continued to do it again against teams this year) is they left what was working. For some reason, BB has fell out of love, then back in, then back out, with the style his talent has. Even when the pass is working, he leaves it...see MSU game.

I
Pruitt was well on his way to building excellent depth on defense. Is it surprising Kirby wants to take credit ?

Your love for Pruitt.....i think he was doing well, progressing, but he's never built a D from scratch, which is what he had to do here...Dobbs had a career day against us....DOBBS. Twice a bad O at UF had good days against us.

You combine the lack of personal pride, bad health and a bad record, yeah, I take note.
A major difference in pro ball is not having to chase 17 and 18 year old kids around recruiting them. The man can barely waddle to practice, let alone run from school to school after kids.

I think the lack of recruiting in the NFL is fairly compensated by the 20 hour days and the absolute full year work they have to put in when dealing with weight issues.

Plus, he has done well with QB's. Biggest thing is he has adjusted to his talent level...UT 2012, Pitt having a more run centric style team (God bless James Conner) and he obviously found a way for Brees to not just be a great qb but actually win games at Purdue. As with any OC, give him a great OL, and he'll be fine. As for Arky, they weren't looking, under BB to begin with, to be flashy or big points. BB wanted UW offense and he had that. In fact, go back to our last game against ARky, the biggest problem for them was that they moved and scored running ball first score...Then they, for whatever reason (and they continued to do it again against teams this year) is they left what was working. For some reason, BB has fell out of love, then back in, then back out, with the style his talent has. Even when the pass is working, he leaves it...see MSU game.

This is a bottom line business. In his 6 years of running pro-style offenses since coming back from pro ball, he has averaged the 75th rated overall offense, and 35th is his best finish, that was with Bray in his senior season at Tenn.

I think the lack of recruiting in the NFL is fairly compensated by the 20 hour days and the absolute full year work they have to put in when dealing with weight issues.

The man is morbidly obese, hell he looks like he might have swallowed a morbidly obese person whole.
It's just one of far too many negatives with him.

The man is morbidly obese, hell he looks like he might have swallowed a morbidly obese person whole.

About anyone would be upsetting to you. If we had gotten Helton you would have complained about how he didn't call the majority of the plays at WKU....You are a Georgia Richt.

If he calls plays and we win, nothing else matters. Then again, your man crush on Richt, helen, is sad and pathetic.

About anyone would be upsetting to you. If we had gotten Helton you would have complained about how he didn't call the majority of the plays at WKU....You are a Georgia Richt.

Bullshit, this is a bad hire on the face of it. I raved about both Helton's and Bloomgren's credentials. I would be thrilled with either.

You haven't beaten squat...its no sniping. You've been behind Richt...nearly had a breakdown when he was canned, and you seem to think you know everything about what a coach should do...yet haven't ever coached at the collegiate level, nor have I. KS knows what he wants to do. Under Saban, UA has always performed because of dominance at OL. We get a top notch OL coach, you shit on it...we fire right..you shit on it...Pruitt leaves (and has a bad rep from everyone with inside knowledge) yet you know better and shit on it. You're pathetic and you've shown your true colors time and again...You were a fan of Richt first and foremost, and will be all pissy...unless we win...we beat UNC first game, you'll be all about KS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT