ADVERTISEMENT

Christmas night update..

CMRDawg24

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2017
....the toys were put together in time, correctly. Only took about 5 hrs, 3 beers, and 3 makers/cinnamon coke cocktails. Our young tradition of Christmas Family Vacation on Christmas Eve was cut short as our 12 yr old fell asleep 2/3 of the way through.

This morning our 21month old learned the joy of tearing wrapping paper off to discover new toys underneath. She played with the toy kitchen all morning long (my efforts were not in vain) and she learned how to climb her new slide and slide down all by herself. Her squeals and shrieks of delight have filled the house all day long.

An old homemade family Christmas cookie recipe was used by me for the first time in my adult life, and I may have just missed my calling. We started a new tradition(this is our 3rd Christmas together as a family) of a Christmas dinner of filets, shrimp, brussel sprouts, twice baked potatoes and asparagus. I manned the grill(need to get better) but the dinner still turned out more than edible.

And now after a long but joyful, family-filled day it’s time to put the baby down. She’s started this brand new habit of clinging to my neck as I go to lay her in the crib, and that ends up with me rocking her in the rocking chair with her head on my shoulder. After about 15 minutes she’ll quietly whisper “night night” and it’s time for me to lay her down.

As I’m rocking her, I type these jumbled thoughts here on the Vent to whoever is bored enough on Christmas night to read this, and my 1yr old’s total dependency and child-like faith is on full display as she clings to my neck. This reminds me of what Christmas is all about.

Beyond the traditions, the food, the family gatherings, the gifts, and the nostalgia of Christmases gone by, long ago one tiny baby displayed childlike faith in following His Father’s plan for mankind. And because of that child’s advent, Hope for mankind came into the world.
In these moments as a dad, I’m reminded of my need to trust, rest, and cling to my Heavenly Father, which is the greatest gift I’ve ever been given. I’m reminded to truly celebrate and give thanks for the real Reason for the season.

My hope is that all of y’all were able to gather with friends and family, and even if it’s a little different this year than it has been in years past, don’t forget what Christmas is truly about...

Merry Christmas fellow venters, and to all, a good night!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News