ADVERTISEMENT

Cover 3 guys on DeBoer hire...."not in the homerun category", "blood in the water" for Georgia

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
Chip Patterson: So we all believe it's a good hire, right? Just have no idea it'll work out?

Tom Fornelli: Yeah. Good hire. I have no idea if it'll work out.

Bud Elliott: Yeah, it's not in the homerun category to me. Guys we know who have run a big time program, with big time recruiting expectations ,and have also won on the field, I think that would be the homerun. So Urban if you could've hired him, which I don't think he's hirable, Sark and probably Lanning because I think he's done the recruiting side. That would've been the three homers. I kind of had Norvell and DeBoer in a similar category. These are ball coaches with an extremely high floor. I would be shocked if Alabama were bad if they had hired Norvell and certainly DeBoer because they very rarely lose. But you don't know if they can get you across the finish line in the major recruiting battles, which is what it's gonna take. Guess what. Auburn's probably not gonna be great this year, but they just signed an absolute MFer of a class, okay. And they are gonna be spending money in the trench portal for '25 like Ole Miss is this year. They're about to be really good. Now Georgia probably smells blood in the wanter with this hire.....on the recruiting trail. They already have the relationships you're trying to build.

Chip: If Kaylen Deboer releases a video saying "UDub forever" then this thing was about to get crazy. We at least finish with a sensible hire, but what does this tell you about Alabama with the way things went down?

Bud: ALabama is still an elite job. Unquestionably a top 5 job. But it's not the clear cut no. 1 job in this sport without Nick, especially because you're immediately following Nick. The expectations are so out of whack. You can win a national title with a couple of ten win seasons and they'll be like (southern accent) "Wayull, I don't know, mayyen. Nick wasn't about these ten win seasons." I think you'd have some questions about the job. It's a major turnover situation. Do the power players try to get more involved after being shut out by Nick Saban? Do they try to exert more control over the program? Can that cause a distraction or hinderance? You don't really know.

Things I think it confirmed.

Lanning's buyout plus other contractual things he had. Not sure Bama kicked the tires there much more once they heard the number. Oregon didn't announce a new deal?

Chip: No. No. They already had the hay in the barn there.

Bud: Right. They're like you had a blank check for NIL and a ridiculous contract you just signed plus your own NIL deals, so yeah. I think Texas right now is a better job than Bama given the situation if you're Sark. You are comfortable there. You like living there. You are recruiting at an elite level. Why would you leave Texas to be the guy who follows Saban?

Chip: Plus you're abandoning what you've built.

Bud: and your QB room. You have Ewers coming back and Manning on your bench.

Chip: Yeah. You would be going backwards to go there to get things where you want it. The machine is rolling where you are.

Bud: If you're Norvell, you're comfortable with the leadership in Tallahassee and you think where you sit with the lawsuit is pretty good. FSU has one of the highest NIL budgets in the country. They have to compete with the SEC and the B1G. Bama's NIL operation is not what some of the other schools are. It's not what FSU, Oregon, Auburn and Texas have. They've been reliant on Saban and kids are not gonna take a discount to play for DeBoer.

Tom: Greg Byrne is gonna show up to that press conference. And he's gonna say KD was his first choice. And we're gonna say, yeah. blah blah blah....But what if he was their first choice. Nick Saban was paying attention to what they were doing. He tried to hire their OC out there last year. So Saban tells Greg, I think KD is the best guy to replace me. And Jimmy Sexton, who is Saban's agent as well as the other coaches says, "Okay, I can make that happen but first I need to get all my other guys some pay raises and then we'll get Kaylen home." Just sayin'.

Bud: I don't think that's crazy at all.

Chip: Yeah.

Bud: Dellinger said they pretty aggressively pursued Norvell. It wouldn't shock me if after they kicked the tires on Lanning and Sark, they went after Norvell pretty hard and then pivoted to DeBoer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News