ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE ******Day 1 Practice Report******

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
Surprise!
The media was able to watch around 15 minutes or so of practice. As usual, UGASports was on hand in en masse. I'll have Part 1 of what we saw, followed by Jed, Patrick and Dayne. Radi shot photos and will have a gallery later.
Here's what I saw.

Quarterbacks: Nothing to tell. Everyone is obviously in shorts and shoulder pads. There was no pecking order in any of the drills we witnessed, but all three - Carson Beck,
Brock Vandagriff and Gunner Stockton threw the ball well, though all three had some throws that came up short during a four-receiver drill right before we left.

Running backs: Everyone with the exception of Branson Robinson is healthy. Even Andrew Paul looked good. He was not wearing a brace and taking part in the drills we saw.

Offensive line: While the media was out there, the OL rotation went as expected with Earnest Greene, Xavier Truss, Sedrick Van Pran, Tate Ratledge and Amarius Mims making up the first unit. Austin Blaske was the second-team left tackle, and Monroe Freeling the third-team left tackle.

Wide Receiver: Dominic Lovett, Ladd McConkey and Marcus-Rosemy Jacksaint were the first team wide receivers.
During a WR-TE passing drills, players lined up in groups of four.
Group 1 - Jacksaint, McConkey, Lovett, Bowers
Group 2 - Bell, Mews, Arian Smith and Delp
Group 3 - Meeks, Hicks, Speer and Luckie
Group 4 - Thomas, Evans, C.J. Smith and Spurlin
Group 5 - Tyler Williams, Reeves, Haynes and Sheehan

Outside Linebacker

Marvin Jones, Darris Smith and Chaz Chambliss were the three guys at the position going through reps. That said, I've said it before, the three freshmen - Gabe Harris, Damon Wilson and Sam M'Pemba look at good physically as any group I've seen Georgia have at this position.

Inside Linebacker

Raylen Wilson looks tremendous. C.J. Allen does, too, although Smart got on to him for a lack of hustle
As Smart indicated yesterday, Jalon Walker was back at inside linebacker

Secondary

I didn't notice much as far as any pecking order is concerned, but Nyland Green and Daylen Everette seemed to be the two main guys today opposite Kamari Lassiter.

More to come.

JED MAY

Kirby Smar
t’s main message of the day centered around conditioning. At the beginning of practice he told the team over the microphone, “Don’t tell me you’re in shape, show me.”

The first group of receivers in drills featured Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint, Ladd McConkey, Jackson Meeks, and Dillon Bell. The second group had names such as Arian Smith, Dominic Lovett, and Braxton Hicks (in a black jersey).

RaRa Thomas ran with the third team. Freshmen such as Zeed Haynes, Tyler Williams, and Anthony Evans were running with later groups. Head coach Kirby Smart called out Williams over the microphone for moving “way too slow” toward the end of the media viewing period.

Earnest Greene got the reps at first-team left tackle. The rest of the first-team line looked as you’d expect - Xavier Truss, Sedrick Van Pran, Tate Ratledge, and Amarius Mims from left to right.

It was hard to get a good look at the second-team line, but it did appear that Jared Wilson was going as the backup center. Drew Bobo looked to be working as the third center.

The tight end rotation went Brock Bowers, Oscar Delp, Lawson Luckie, Pearce Spurlin, Drew Sheehan.

It wasn’t a great first day for Spurlin. Tight ends coach Todd Hartley repeatedly got onto him, imploring him to strike harder during a striking drill. He also criticized Spurlin for the alignment of his feet at one point.

Running back Andrew Paul looked to be full go as he returns from a torn ACL during last year’s fall camp. He went third in the running back rotation, behind Kendall Milton and Daijun Edwards and in front of Sevaughn Clark, Len’Neth Whitehead, and Roderick Robinson.

Even as just a freshman, Robinson’s impressive size is clear. The roster handed out by Georgia sports information lists him at 6-foot, 240 pounds.

As media departed the field, the Bulldogs worked on punt returns. Haynes, Evans, and Mekhi Mews were among those who got a crack at fielding punts.

PATRICK GARBIN

Before the media entered the start of Period 3, we could already hear Kirby Smart “welcoming” the players to fall camp. He repeatedly said to “Show me you’re in shape!” Be “quick,” and “fast.” For some of the time we observed, it seemed Smart got onto the team or an individual about hustling, or lack thereof, and needing to “be in shape.”

Watching the defense, my first observation was simply lineman Jordan Hall. I had forgotten what a monster he is. With Hall working opposite Zion Logue, one couldn’t help to notice the former’s mammoth legs. As someone (maybe a scout or a high school coach?) said along the sideline, “[Hall] should not be a freshman!”

While the defensive line was in a chute drill while shuffling their feet, Tray Scott got onto just about everyone except a couple of the veterans, including sophomore Mykel Williams. Most of the younger guys struggled with getting low enough, or their “clearance” (as Scott said) under the chute. On the contrary, making practice look almost easy for him, Williams looked impressive. I remember him this time a year ago, and he’s come a long way. I didn’t spot Warren Brinson while we observed, but he could very well have been inside the House of Payne.

Despite Chidera Uzo-Diribe saying the group was “already breathing like you’re tired,” the outside linebackers seemed to be clicking while I watched. As usual, Marvin Jones, Jr. stood out, as did true freshman Sam M’Pemba. For one particular rep, Uzo-Diribe told M’Pemba that he “looked good” and he “came in [for the tackle] at the right height.” Another true freshman, Damon Wilson, was praised by the assistant coach, as well.

I was curious to observe the cornerbacks because of what should be a battle for the starting spot opposite of Kamari Lassiter between Daylen Everette, Nyland Green, and Julian Humphrey. For the time I observed, they all looked good, nothing real unusual. On a particular rep, Everette made a good play on the ball, picking it off essentially with one hand.

IMG_3130.jpg
Daylen Everette tosses the ball back to a staffer after making an interception in practice.

We observed the first two minutes of Period 6, whereby the team was executing a punt-return drill. Fwiw, the first three punt returners to take the field were 1) Mekhi Mews, followed by 2) Zeed Haynes and 3) Anthony Evans.

Towards the end of our observation period, Smart hadn’t let up on the players regarding hustling, being in shape. “I can’t stand to watch this. If you’re tired, get you’re a** in shape!”

DAYNE YOUNG

I made an effort to focus on the true freshman.

It is impossible to miss #44 Jordan Hall. The hype is deserved, and he looks like he can play now. I was also impressed with freshman receiver Tyler Williams. He has the frame that can fit the mold of an A.D. Mitchell or Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint. At tight end, Lawson Luckie looks the part, but it is obvious that Pearce Spurlin has been bulking up. Georgia should be fine at tight end depth.

Elsewhere,
Mekhi Mews jumped out for punt return duties. It is quite a statement that he has earned his way into possible significant playing time. There are one or two of non-scholarship guys every year that heavily contribute. It sounds like Mews and Cash Jones are that. (And Dan Jackson is back too).

Quarterbacks threw together with four passes to four receivers. Brock Vandagriff had a nice connection with Anthony Evans. Carson Beck was very accurate with an inside slant to Zeed Haynes.

On one throw, Mike Bobo urged Gunner Stockton to “throw his ass downhill,” presumably meaning to put a bit more air under the ball so the receiver doesn’t break stride.

Tyler Williams made a nice catch along the sideline, keeping both feet in bounds. Vandagriff threw that pass.

Kirby Smart used most of his microphone time to tell players they were moving too slow. I heard that criticism of Jamaal Jarrett and Kyron Jones, specifically.

Attachments

• IMG_3130.jpg
    IMG_3130.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4,553
Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News