ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE Day 10 of Fall Camp; What we saw, what we learned

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
Good afternoon all. Day 10 of fall camp is underway. Although there were a few items of interest (we'll get to those shortly), one of the biggest things I've noticed is that players are no longer wearing the green non-contact jerseys that typically signify that someone is hurt.
Still, we know that's not the case.

1. There was still no sign of Isaiah Wynn, who apparently is missing his fourth straight day of camp while wide receiver Jeremiah Holloman was off at the far end of the field along with head trainer Ron Courson.

Holloman appeared to tweak a hamstring on Saturday. He returned to practice for the first time on Wednesday, although he did not take part in any contact drills.

Getting back to Wynn, we'll ask Kirby Smart again after practice for an update after claiming the senior is being held out with an undisclosed illness. Right now, it's unknown when he will return. Although what the illness is remains unclear, Wynn was seen dressed out inside Butts-Mehre prior to practice Wednesday. We'll see what Smart says today.

Status quo for the offensive line

It was the same cast of characters going through offensive line drills today: Dyshon Sims, D'Marcus Hayes and Kendall Baker appearing to work at left tackle. Andrew Thomas and Justin Shaffer continue to man left guard, Lamont Gaillard and Sean Fogarty at center, Solomon Kindley and Aulden Bynum at right guard and Ben Cleveland, Isaiah Wilson and Pat Allen getting most of the reps at right tackle. For those wondering, today the first team unit consisted of Sims (LT), Thomas (LG), Gaillard (C), Kindley (RG) and Cleveland (RT).

This and that

...Whatever demons haunted Trenton Thompson last semester, he's certainly looking like the All-SEC performer that many project him to be. Thompson has drawn continual praise from DL coach Tray Scott.

...Someone asked about D'Andre Baker yesterday. Again, no real news other than he continues to work with Malkom Parrish as the two top guys at cornerback. Baker has also taken an active role leading Georgia's younger DBs.

...Javon Wims, Terry Godwin, Riley Ridley and Jayson Stanley appeared to be going through drills as Georgia's top four receivers although Mark Webb, Mecole Hardman, Trey Blount, Tyler Simmons, Michael Chigbu, Matt Landers, and Ahkil Crumpton continue to get plenty of looks and opportunities to impress. Although it may still be difficult to say who the "go-to" guy will be this fall, there is no shortage of quality options. It's just a matter of who wants to step up.

As soon as Holloman is healthy, he'll be in the midst of the competition, too.

From Patrick Garbin…

...Something that dawned on me during today’s practice: Maybe the top UGA assistants most active in demonstrating drills, running routes, literally blocking players, etc., are the two assistant coaches who did not play college ball—Glenn Schumann (inside linebackers) and James Coley (receivers).

DEFENSE
…I’ve noticed an often-used phrase by assistant Tray Scott, when the defensive linemen finish a drill by grabbing a tackling bag: “Arms should be squeezing those [running backs’] rib cages!”

…For the first time I’ve seen this fall camp, the defensive backs were working on scooping up loose balls after coming off a block. Some of the freshmen were having difficulties scooping the ball, including Ameer Speed (pic) who apparently wasn’t bending down enough in retrieving the ball, prompting coach Mel Tucker to declare, “You got to bend, Ameer! You’re not bending enough!”

Mlc3ijZ.jpg

…During the aforementioned drill, Kirby Smart seemingly believed the defensive backs group was perhaps going through the motions, so to speak, to a certain degree, whereby the head coach hollered, “Make it real! Make it real! And, how do we make it real? Violence!”

OFFENSE
…Besides a scout for the Buffalo Bills, the first thing I noticed on the offensive side was freshman receiver Jeremiah Holloman’s on-field absence mentioned by Dash.

…I mentioned how James Coley is one of the more active assistants; he’s also one of the more complimentary. After Terry Godwin made a great catch of a frozen rope thrown by Jacob Eason on an out pattern, Coley screamed at Godwin, “Good eyes! Good eyes, Boss!”

…Maybe it’s simply the periods we’re allowed to view but, to me, the running backs seem to be working on catching the ball out of the backfield much more than the unit did in previous years.

…A team personnel member, maybe an offensive assistant, took aside the top three quarterbacks—Jacob Eason, Jake Fromm, and Brice Ramsey—and worked with them on footwork in the pocket. Whereas Eason and Fromm appeared nearly flawless, Ramsey seemed a tad rusty.

From Jake Reuse...

....Spotted Michail Carter looking like a full go today. Seemed to have no limitations and was drilling right alongside everyone else. Even messed up on a drill and knocked out five pushups as penance.

...I mentioned the other day how impressed I was in the bodily change we've seen from Tyler Clark. Seeing him standing alongside the likes or Julian Rochester and DaQuan Hawkins-Muckle reinforced that for me today. Guy looks every single bit of his listed 305. That group should make the middle quite a task for opposing offenses.

...Tray Scott continues to impress me with his style and approach. I've seen almost every single coach on the field flip out at various times, and, while I know Scott's got it in him, he seems to be so patient, especially with his young guys. He corrected Malik Herring several times without raising his voice or anything of the sort. In fact, he got into the stance, hit the dummy, and pulled Herring in close to see what he was doing and how he wanted it done. Scott seems to be an incredibly encouraging force and a natural teacher.

...Again, a guy I touched on the other day, but this walk-on Kolby Wyatt looks like he's well above the 215 Georgia lists him. In fact, in a position group with former five and four-stars, he doesn't look out of place in the least. I've got no idea if the kid will turn into a contributor down the line, but damn if he doesn't look like one.

...Wide receivers were working with defensive backs just before we left, and we got a chance to see a couple of spectacular catches. Terry Godwin especially impressed with an incredible one-handed grab over Malkom Parrish and followed up soon thereafter by sneaking around Deangelo Gibbs for a tough catch. Wasn't hard to tell who was the wily vet and who was the new guy.

...Mecole Hardman was smothered up by Ameer Speed. The height difference between the two is definitely sizable (no pun intended), and Speed was able to take full advantage. Hardman was looking a little frustrated with being unable to best the new arrival.

...Not sure what Mark Webb did right before we left the field, but James Coley was having no part of it. He flipped his lid on the freshman on two straight attempts. Think Webb was trying to make a one-handed catch in an unnecessary situation, and it drew the ire of Coley. Wouldn't swear to that, but looked to be the case.

From Radi Nabulsi...

No change in the wide receiver rotations today.

Jim Chaney heaped praise on Mecole Hardman at one point for not going too far inside on his hitch routes. "Good Mecole! That was perfect. Stay away from the rats. The rats are inside!" AhKil Crumpton also received a shoutout for avoiding the rats.

Later, Mecole Hardman had to do some fancy footwork to stay in bounds after a catch, which he did, but then ran out of bounds and James Coley went ballistic. There was not a defender on him and Hardman was able to stay in bounds for the catch, but Coley wanted him to turn upfield.

Malik Herring always looked huge when he was being recruited but next to all those hogs on the defensive line, he looks like a freshman. A year in the weight room and I expect he will blow up like Chauncey Manac.

As Jake pointed out, we saw the receivers and DBs work a little drill. Riley Ridley had a nice catch over Tyrique McGhee, Javon Wims pulled in a one-handed catch over Deangelo Gibbs, Terry Godwin snuck behind McGhee to pop up on the other side and make a catch, and finally Hardman tried to push off Gibbs but Deangelo was not having it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News