ADVERTISEMENT

Demary - That Dude

504noladawg

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2017
Dash wrote an amazing article on Demary and had some great Coach White quotes on him. I was thinking back to the freshman that we have had here and how Demary compares. The greatest physical freak that we have had walk through those doors is Anthony Edwards. He was and is DIFFERENT. But he was no where close to as locked in as Demary is. Demary just doesn't take a play off for the entire time he is in. My favorite Demary plays are when he is in transition defense. He challenges every shot and 95% of the time he does it without fouling, and some of the other 5% are bad calls by refs :) . He got some bad whistles in the Tenn game.

He called game on defense in the South Carolina game. When he blocked that three point shot late it was over. He called game on defense, that's just wild.

I think the Tennessee game might have changed how we are going to try and close games in the last 5 minutes. I think the ball will still be in Hill's hands a good bit, especially if we need a last second shot, but Demary is driving more and more and he has a physical and atheltic presence that most of our other guys don't have. Here is the kicker too, he is learning how to stop in the lane. For a good bit of the first part of the year, it seemed he would jam that ball in there and not be able to hit the brakes and only had one option to try and lay it up. Last game, he was able to pick up his dribble on a drive, stay patient, kick it out to Jabri, who was then able to drive past his man for a layup. This is what Demary's drive can do for us and as he figures it out, it's on. I think this might have been the original plan for White early on and closing games, but Demary had that bad dribble off his foot late against Wake Forest that I think spooked White a little. But Tennessee game late showed we are going to need Demary to make a play late. It might be feeding someone else, but that ball needs to be in Demary's hands creating.

He is still a freshman, and he is going to make mistakes (turnovers will rear it's ugly head in spells as we have seen in the past). But Demary is WAY better than I thought he was going to be. White is right, physically and mentally he is just different. We aren't anywhere close to 3-1 in conference without him. His offensive game isn't there yet as some of the superstar freshman that people normally associate with the "greats", but he is a superstar freshman on defense and rebounding. And the offensive game is coming... Go Dawgs!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News