ADVERTISEMENT

Does anybody get the feeling college football as we know it

I can see it now. An ESPN analyst will be talking about a team’s running back and the analysis will be like this:

“Last year Chubba rushed for 2,024 yard, led 3 protest matches and looted a Nike store. A great year by all accounts”

Reactions: macondawg44
The answer is if CFB goes woke, spend your Saturdays with your family, take your wife out to dinner, work on your marriage, take on a hobby, exercise, focus on your career, work on your house, etc. Do something productive for goodness sakes. Don’t watch people who disrespect this country, flag, and further divide us.

What could you do with the money you spend on UGA football? What if you had invested that money? What if you started investing that money now?

No one on their death bed said they wished they spent more time watching football

Last edited:
you’re entitled to your opinion but I’m sorry, if you get to go to college for free, eat for free, free housing, clothing, who knows what else and then turn around and complain about a shirt your coach wears, you’re worse than an entitled brat.

many have been appreciative of the OPPORTUNITY than they were afforded and to them I am grateful. I paid for my own college, and everything associated with it so I know it’s value. Most of these guys couldn’t even get in on their academic merits, much less get a scholarship, then turn around show such little gratitude.

honestly, people like you are the problem, acting as if these student athletes are bigger than the institution, has given rise to them thinking that way as well.

Do you honestly think those things are equal to the MILLIONS the athletes bring in for the university?!! And you are college educated?!! GTFO of here with that BS. That’s such old school dumbass mentality.

First off....OAN isn’t a news network. It’s not Fox News. Its not CNN. It’s an org pretending to be news.

Its not as far right as InfoWars (which is bat sh*t crazy and not at all credible). But it’s way beyond “news.”

That said....The issue isn’t the shirt. he would never be fired for the shirt. The issue is that he needs to build a brand that recruits young black players. To do that he can’t fake who he is. He has to be credible.

And instead he wore a shirt for a network that is saying all the things opposite for what his target recruits care about.

They need to know he cares about their issues. Or he isn’t credible / authentic.

There is free speech. There is also accountability for that speech from your customers and employees and players.

It’s not the first pro-his own wealth and anti-player priority comment that he has made in the past 90 days.

is about to be a thing of the past? The Gundy situation really bothers me. This guy wore a t-shirt of a news network that he watches. I don't even know what OAR is. But the fact that a firestorm can now be started by your star player by what NEWS NETWORK you watch is a sure sign of the times. What if Kirby wore a Fox News polo to a charity golf tournament? Are our players going to turn on us now?

I absolutely love college football but if this is the road we are going down I don't know if i'm in anymore. All matter of respect is being eroded. The players should be treated fairly but they should respect the coaches and administration of the university they play for. Throwing your coach under the bus for the news network he listens to is not ok with me. Does OAR broadcast racist stuff or what...I really don't know. If it really offended the player why did he not go into Gundy's office and talk with him like a man? Going to social media should only be a last resort and is not even a good option at that point.

I'm just afraid the sport I grew up with is going the way of the NFL. I gave the NFL up a few years ago and can honestly say I have not watched 10 seconds of NFL football in at least 3 years. Hell the whole world is changing and I admit I have no clue what to make of it. I don't have a racist bone in my body and I think some great conversations are coming out from all of this. But I don't have a lot of tolerance for this new participation trophy generation that are offended with EVERYTHING. I really don't want to lose college football but I'm afraid the end is in sight.

is about to be a thing of the past? The Gundy situation really bothers me. This guy wore a t-shirt of a news network that he watches. I don't even know what OAR is. But the fact that a firestorm can now be started by your star player by what NEWS NETWORK you watch is a sure sign of the times. What if Kirby wore a Fox News polo to a charity golf tournament? Are our players going to turn on us now?

I absolutely love college football but if this is the road we are going down I don't know if i'm in anymore. All matter of respect is being eroded. The players should be treated fairly but they should respect the coaches and administration of the university they play for. Throwing your coach under the bus for the news network he listens to is not ok with me. Does OAR broadcast racist stuff or what...I really don't know. If it really offended the player why did he not go into Gundy's office and talk with him like a man? Going to social media should only be a last resort and is not even a good option at that point.

I'm just afraid the sport I grew up with is going the way of the NFL. I gave the NFL up a few years ago and can honestly say I have not watched 10 seconds of NFL football in at least 3 years. Hell the whole world is changing and I admit I have no clue what to make of it. I don't have a racist bone in my body and I think some great conversations are coming out from all of this. But I don't have a lot of tolerance for this new participation trophy generation that are offended with EVERYTHING. I really don't want to lose college football but I'm afraid the end is in sight.
There is so much you just don't understand

Reactions: rednblack4life
The answer is if CFB goes woke, spend your Saturdays with your family, take on a hobby, exercise, focus on your career, work on your house, etc. Do something productive for goodness sakes. Don’t watch people who disrespect this country, flag, and further divide us.

No one on their death bed said they wished they spent more time watching football
Perhaps you should ask yourself, who is this 'us' to which you're referring.

The answer is if CFB goes woke, spend your Saturdays with your family, take on a hobby, focus on your career, work on your house, etc. Do something productive for goodness sakes. Don’t watch people who disrespect this country, flag, and further divide us.
What's dividing this country are people who want blacks to stay silent while racism still goes on. The flag means more than just patriotism but some like to believe that's all it stand for. Land of the free, home of the brave right? We will alway be the Divided States of America until we all stand up to racism and bigotry from both black and whites. We need to come together as people and as god's children and knock of the BS.

Reactions: Saxondawg
Players have more power than they ever realized... and they're starting to realize it.

When you are a leader of a team that's 75% young black men, and you promote a "news" organization that those same men will despise when they learn what it stands for, you're an idiot. Gundy could believe in Qanon and every other bats*** insane thing, but he should do it quietly given the people he needs to succeed will most likely disagree.

Right now, CFB players see how valuable they are. Not just in terms of money for themselves, but how much money they bring to the schools. If CFB ended tomorrow, the NFL or someone would find a way to create a minor league to feed into the big leagues. The players would have a place to go.

If CFB ended tomorrow, major universities around the country would crumble, and their entire athletic departments would be gone.
Please elaborare on what the news network "stands for" Im not familar with the network

I can see it now. An ESPN analyst will be talking about a team’s running back and the analysis will be like this:

“Last year Chubba rushed for 2,024 yard, led 3 protest matches and looted a Nike store. A great year by all accounts”
How or why would an analyst say that when none of that happened?

Yeah, no. Quite a few of us realize that we've been divided since this country was founded and are trying to rectify that. Others prefer the divide and the privilege it has afforded them.
What matters is opportunity. Everyone has an opportunity for success Unfortunately too many people squander it and when they do they demand privilege. All people should be accountable.

What's dividing this country are people who want blacks to stay silent while racism still goes on. The flag means more than just patriotism but some like to believe that's all it stand for. Land of the free, home of the brave right? We will alway be the Divided States of America until we all stand up to racism and bigotry from both black and whites. We need to come together as people and as god's children and knock of the BS.

Agree with the last sentence, but if there is no patriotism there is literally nothing to bring people together. The trashing the anthem is not going to help bring anyone together.

Reactions: Gusta Dawg
This fin de siecle anxiety is unnecessary. Things are changing. If you were a player helping a school make millions beyond the worth of your scholarship, wouldn’t this seem unfair?

Why do you think a black football player got mad at him wearing that shirt? That network is not helping us solve the problems of today.
Neither is cnn. And that shirt would have been “appropriate”

Yeah, no. Quite a few of us realize that we've been divided since this country was founded and are trying to rectify that. Others prefer the divide and the privilege it has afforded them.
Wrong. The fabric of the country has always been tenuous.

Disrespecting the flag and anthem tears at that and does not mend it.

that is literally the opposite direction of your goal.

Yes it is about over. When a quarter back at uf can go cut a deal with a ford dealer and the walk on or 3rd stringer can’t,you can forget about the team. The whole deal is on a money train that is unstainable. Our kids have enough trouble getting in UGA why should these guys just walk in? My first game was UGA VS. Auburn 71 so I have about seen it all.

Wrong. The fabric of the country has always been tenuous.

Disrespecting the flag and anthem tears at that and does not mend it.

that is literally the opposite direction of your goal.
The flag and the anthem are symbols. If they symbolize a lie, an empty promise, why should they be respected? Patriotism, real patriotism not just knowing the lyrics to Toby Keith songs, means holding your country responsible for its promises, making it live up to its ideals. Otherwise you're just and ignorant fan boy, wallowing in a delusion of superiority.

Who are you to put a value on them as human beings? You are saying the value they have is only equivalent to what they currently receive...even thought the free market would say otherwise. So, my assumption then is that you don't believe in capitalism? If so, then I am completely fine with your argument.

And that's great that you paid for your college, but why then resent others that don't have to? How do you know they don't appreciate the opportunity they are getting? I appreciate that I have a job but if I'm doing more work than I am being compensated for then I will ask for more money. Pretty simple.

And I am completely OK with being a person who you deem to be "the problem" :)

LMAO. I won’t be dragged into the value argument. You’re just baiting

who said I resented anyone getting free college. I said they should appreciate it more, as I’ve seen so many players before them do.

your arguments and mindset are weak and there’s no need in us arguing because you will forever feel entitled.

Do you honestly think those things are equal to the MILLIONS the athletes bring in for the university?!! And you are college educated?!! GTFO of here with that BS. That’s such old school dumbass mentality.

I get it that hard work and patience is hard to understand for much of their new snowflake population. IF being college educated means expecting everything for nothing like you, I’d rather be illiterate.

The flag and the anthem are symbols. If they symbolize a lie, an empty promise, why should they be respected? Patriotism, real patriotism not just knowing the lyrics to Toby Keith songs, means holding your country responsible for its promises, making it live up to its ideals. Otherwise you're just and ignorant fan boy, wallowing in a delusion of superiority.

Well, to others they might symbolize the RIGHT to challenge the lies and empty promises, in addition to the true soldiers and first responders who defend it.
The symbols aren’t to blame. If you want to burn and stomp, bring out effigies and voodoo dolls.

Nonsense, symbols have always meant something since the beginning of mankind. This is a practical world. Your argument is just more millennial jibberish with no sense of history.

Everyone in this country has an opportunity. That is all they deserve. Everything else I depends on what the person does with the opportunity

I'm sure the players support ideas that the coaches or other fellow players may not neccessarily agree with. That's life. People from different backgrounds, belief systems, races, political stances, etc can come together and work together in harmony without agreeing on everything. I do agree with you that I think the system is showing cracks and players do see their value. I wholeheartedly believe that in 10-20 years there will be an NFL farm league and college football will be a thing of the past. We are headed in that direction and fast. There is waaaay too much money involved now in both college and pro football. There has always been lots of money involved but nothing like it is now.

Exactly. Can you imagine if he wore a BLM T-shirt and his white QB did what Chuba did?

There's an old saying: When your're in your 20s, if you're not a Democrat, you have no heart. When you're in your 50s, if you're not a Republican, you have no mind.

And we need to get to a point where neither Republicans or Democrats mean a damn thing. Your 2 options for president are Trump and Biden. Let that sink in.

Reactions: scottmac1972
Think about how often we (the fans) have contributed to that? How much we care about UGA players getting big paydays. We care not because it helps them, but that we'll use it to sell the program to other kids. How often fans rip other players who flame out in the pros like it's an indictment on UGA (or whichever school they went to).

The fans have bought into the NFL-ization of CFB, but it's been a long time coming. I grew up in Nebraska and would always crack up on the Husker haters who would use NEB's lack of NFL talent on offense against them while NEB was running through every team. I personally didn't care, but A LOT of Husker fans did. They bought into the need to produce NFL players as evidence of program greatness, even above winning.
The need to sell your program as getting kids ready for the NFL is what killed option football. The Wishbone or Power I didn't ever stop working, but schools were able to point out how those guys were not ready for NFL. Which was true. But if winning championships is really what it was all about, then those offenses would still be around at bigger schools.

If all this leads to a minor league supported by the NFL. Then you would have kids that end up at FCS and Division 2 and 3 schools end up getting chances to go to bigger schools. And I think long term it might be best for CFB because you could go back to doing whatever worked and not having to worry about being NFL ready.....plus you would have a lot more true student/athletes then what you have now, where the focus for all 85 guys on the team is just doing enough school to get to the league. Yeah, the transition would be a bit painful, and the speed of the game would slow down some....but I think both college and a minor leagues would be able to eventually flourish.

And we need to get to a point where neither Republicans or Democrats mean a damn thing. Your 2 options for president are Trump and Biden. Let that sink in.
Those two being the two options blow my mind....but if you go back to 4 years ago it was Trump and Hillary.....and if you went to second place it would have been Ted Cruz and Bernie Sanders. Its crazy when you look at how what people look for in a president has completely shifted.

Reactions: rednblack4life
Those two being the two options blow my mind....but if you go back to 4 years ago it was Trump and Hillary.....and if you went to second place it would have been Ted Cruz and Bernie Sanders. Its crazy when you look at how what people look for in a president has completely shifted.

Need a 3rd party that can win being moderate and end this far right and far left divide that is taking place. The 2 sides have never been farther apart and it’s killing this country.

giphy.gif

A lot of good points in this entire thread, and I wish ESPN would get less political, but I've only seen them ramp it up recently. Everyone (politically) loves the pageantry, tradition, & competition of college football. Media is looking for anything to stoke the fires, and I'd wish they'd stay the hell out.

Re: NFL, I've seen the viewpoint of "you're wrong to be offended by kneeling of the flag" and that's going to piss off a lot of fans this year. If tons of players are kneeling for the anthem, you are going to see a bigger ratings drop than what we saw a couple years ago. Players have the right to protest and kneel during the anthem, but they have to decide if their cause is more important than their career.
People will be so sports hungry by the time the NFL gets here, I am pretty sure that everyone could kneel....and no one is going to turn it off. I would be the NFL has the best TV ratings of all time this year.

And if I am wrong. Lets face it, from a business standpoint, this is the absolute safest time for them to do this. Where a boycott due to kneeling would really show up, is in actual game attendance. This year, no one will be in the stadium, or if it is at already reduced capacity. So you make everyone mad whose going to be mad, just like last time...and just like last time they will eventually get over it and start watching again. And whatever you might have to eat in fan boycotts at stadiums will never show up....and once again those fans will be sooner rather then later. Football is just to popular for something like kneeling to kill it off.

Reactions: pasadenadawg
Sports is now politicized like every thing else in our country. What used to be an escape from the crap that goes on every day, is now part of the crap. Social media has made it easy to offer an opinion, and it's killing our culture, and our country.

Need a 3rd party that can win being moderate and end this far right and far left divide that is taking place. The 2 sides have never been farther apart and it’s killing this country.
I find it funny that Mitt Romney was to middle of the rode for everyone when he actually ran for president. But then was the guy Republicans were begging to run when Trump picked up steam. The problem for both parties....moderate doesn't win in the primaries, or if they do such as the case of Biden....the have to move to much less moderate positions. I think you absolutely could form a 3rd party made up of moderate Dems and Repubs....the problem is in the short term they all are committing political suicide while getting everything formed. All their funding from the parties would dry up.

The need to sell your program as getting kids ready for the NFL is what killed option football. The Wishbone or Power I didn't ever stop working, but schools were able to point out how those guys were not ready for NFL. Which was true. But if winning championships is really what it was all about, then those offenses would still be around at bigger schools.

If all this leads to a minor league supported by the NFL. Then you would have kids that end up at FCS and Division 2 and 3 schools end up getting chances to go to bigger schools. And I think long term it might be best for CFB because you could go back to doing whatever worked and not having to worry about being NFL ready.....plus you would have a lot more true student/athletes then what you have now, where the focus for all 85 guys on the team is just doing enough school to get to the league. Yeah, the transition would be a bit painful, and the speed of the game would slow down some....but I think both college and a minor leagues would be able to eventually flourish.
Disagree, they already had a drop when Kaepenick started this. We saw the drop in ratings and attendance. College football even had a drop in attendance. Now they are planning to do protesting on steroids. Also, we have not even mentioned CTE yet.

The NFL is a radical leftist organization thanks to Kapernick starting this disrespectful kneeling. I was in the military during Vietnam and hate all of the treasonous actions of these hate groups. College football could go down that same drain, but I hope not, because it is the only sport that I really care for.

Players have more power than they ever realized... and they're starting to realize it.

When you are a leader of a team that's 75% young black men, and you promote a "news" organization that those same men will despise when they learn what it stands for, you're an idiot. Gundy could believe in Qanon and every other bats*** insane thing, but he should do it quietly given the people he needs to succeed will most likely disagree.

Right now, CFB players see how valuable they are. Not just in terms of money for themselves, but how much money they bring to the schools. If CFB ended tomorrow, the NFL or someone would find a way to create a minor league to feed into the big leagues. The players would have a place to go.

If CFB ended tomorrow, major universities around the country would crumble, and their entire athletic departments would be gone.
One could argue the same thing for the other way around. Without athletics, many of these guys wouldn’t even get into UGA. Sure the university profits off the players but they also benefit by having an avenue to showcase their skills. Without that avenue, what would most of them be doing? I just don’t understand why only one side can be offended. Mike Gundy can’t be offended by a thing his star RB does. However, he can wear a news shirt and the RB can be offended. It makes no sense at all. Like many people, I don’t even know what that news cast is and could are less. If Gundy wants to watch that on his own time, good for him. If the RB doesn’t like it, ignore it and move on. That is what we have always done before. What has changed is the media is influencing people to rebel, question, protest, be offended, etc.

Being bothered by the Gundy stuff is so funny to me. He can wear whatever he wants, and the players can live their lives how they want. If he feels like it is the most important thing for his life, or the most important thing for his program, for him to wear OAN shirts, then go for it.
And if his players don't like his message about what is important in his life and it is important to them to say so, they can go for it?

Reactions: JB Sterling
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT