ADVERTISEMENT

Election in FL just got interesting; amendment to protect abortion and Marijuana are potentially on the ballot potentially in Nov.....

Well Florida almost elected a Dem drug abuser who had to be rescued by first responders while passing out butt naked from an overdose in a hotel while on a date with a male prostitute while happened to be married to a female, to run their state

So I guess anything is possible

Because it's all you got.
You seem to have an issue with race friend because you continue to bring it up SPECIFICALLY with ME and ONLY ME, REPEATEDLY. Now, from my perspective this appears as though you have an issue with race. I'm not going to say it's SPECIFICALLY MY RACE but it's definitely a PATTERN of behavior that one could say is borderline ANTAGONISTIC.

You seem to have an issue with race friend because you continue to bring it up SPECIFICALLY with ME and ONLY ME, REPEATEDLY. Now, from my perspective this appears as though you have an issue with race. I'm not going to say it's SPECIFICALLY MY RACE but it's definitely a PATTERN of behavior that one could say is borderline ANTAGONISTIC.
Yikes. Shift button works.

This is new development but this will drive Dem turnout in the sunshine state

Will leave the ethical debate to others, but the reality is that if you want to win elections in this country, you have to accept the reality that a large majority of the country supports the right to choose with some restricitons.

The other reality is that despite all the headlines and political points scored by democrats on the "Roe v Wade elimination," there seems to be no teeth in the whole thing. In other words, folks can still get abortions in this Country.

What Trump and the republicans need to do is to take an official position here, and repeat it constantly. Something like - Abortion should be legal for the first 3 months of a pregancy or in the case of rape at any time. Gotta truly take the teeth out of the false narrative that republicans are actively trying to eliminate abortion...because that has always been bullshit.

Gotta truly take the teeth out of the false narrative that republicans are actively trying to eliminate abortion...because that has always been bullshit.
the reason they won't do as you suggest is because it's not bullshit. no way the party agrees to your statement.

there are too many examples all over the country of "teeth."

I don't even know how you can suggest this, in fact.

the reason they won't do as you suggest is because it's not bullshit. no way the party agrees to your statement.

there are too many examples all over the country of "teeth."

I don't even know how you can suggest this, in fact.
Where are the examples? Seriously. Are there hundreds of thousands of women out there that wanted an abortion but couldn't get one? I suspect we would see a ton of articles and data supporting that notion if it were true. Maybe it is. Give me your examples and stats and I will concede the argument.

My suspicion is that Democrats would prefer to keep the vague political winning point that republicans just want to stop abortion. I don't believe that is a reality. The reaction by democrats to a united statement that supported abortion with restricitons would be negative. It would neuter a huge politically winning, but not necessarily true, narrative.

Where are the examples? Seriously. Are there hundreds of thousands of women out there that wanted an abortion but couldn't get one? I suspect we would see a ton of articles and data supporting that notion if it were true. Maybe it is. Give me your examples and stats and I will concede the argument.

My suspicion is that Democrats would prefer to keep the vague political winning point that republicans just want to stop abortion. I don't believe that is a reality. The reaction by democrats to a united statement that supported abortion with restricitons would be negative. It would neuter a huge politically winning, but not necessarily true, narrative.

"In the months since Texas outlawed abortion and prohibited adolescents from receiving gender-transition care, women have flooded abortion clinics in nearby states and parents with transgender children have moved to places where puberty blockers and hormone therapy remain legal.

So now, Texas conservatives are testing the limits of their power beyond state lines.

Some cities and counties have passed so-called travel bans aimed at stopping Texans from driving to abortion appointments in other states. Meanwhile, Attorney General Ken Paxton has demanded medical records from at least two out-of-state clinics that provide gender-affirming care to minors."

"In the months since Texas outlawed abortion and prohibited adolescents from receiving gender-transition care, women have flooded abortion clinics in nearby states and parents with transgender children have moved to places where puberty blockers and hormone therapy remain legal.

So now, Texas conservatives are testing the limits of their power beyond state lines.

Some cities and counties have passed so-called travel bans aimed at stopping Texans from driving to abortion appointments in other states. Meanwhile, Attorney General Ken Paxton has demanded medical records from at least two out-of-state clinics that provide gender-affirming care to minors."

That mentions it being harder to get abortions in some states versus others. I'm curious if it truly has had the effect of people not being able to get them at all, the suggestion that media has made when Roe v Wade decision came down. A national decision.

For the record I don't agree that there should be super tight restrictions. I am just looking for data that supports the media narrative that Roe v Wade has stopped abortions in the US. What does the data actually say?

Reactions: shonuff253
That mentions it being harder to get abortions in some states versus others. I'm curious if it truly has had the effect of people not being able to get them at all, the suggestion that media has made when Roe v Wade decision came down. A national decision.

For the record I don't agree that there should be super tight restrictions. I am just looking for data that supports the media narrative that Roe v Wade has stopped abortions in the US. What does the data actually say?
You're sort of moving the ball here. No one says [Dobbs] has stopped abortions, at least not that I am aware of...

this "media narrative" might be in your head...

afaik the fact is that Dobbs / R v W repeal has given state legislatures the opportunity to pass some pretty invasive restrictions, which they are doing, or trying to do.

Speaking just for myself, I am looking forward to the day that it's no longer an issue at all... I just don't see that coming, as the right will never stop trying to pass laws to control women's' bodies.

Reactions: pawd

"Until now, studies have shown that many women in states with bans have ended their pregnancies anyway, by traveling to other states or ordering pills online. What they have been unable to show is how many women have not done so, and carried their pregnancies to term. The new analysis, published Friday as a working paper by the Institute of Labor Economics, found that in the first six months of the year, between one-fifth and one-fourth of women living in states with bans — who may have otherwise sought an abortion — did not get one."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/22/upshot/abortion-births-bans-states.html

You're sort of moving the ball here. No one says [Dobbs] has stopped abortions, at least not that I am aware of...

afaik the fact is that Dobbs / R v W repeal has given state legislatures the opportunity to pass some pretty invasive restrictions, which they are doing, or trying to do.

Speaking just for myself, I am looking forward to the day that it's no longer an issue at all... I just don't see that coming, as the right will never stop trying to pass laws to control women's' bodies.
Fair. To those on my side that root for these kinds of restrictions on an ethical basis, i would point to the fact that nationally, folks still get the abortion, so why do something politically stupid that ultimately doesn't accomplish the ethical goal? The long game would be to compromise on a political loser, win elections, and fight for other issues that are winnable.

"Until now, studies have shown that many women in states with bans have ended their pregnancies anyway, by traveling to other states or ordering pills online. What they have been unable to show is how many women have not done so, and carried their pregnancies to term. The new analysis, published Friday as a working paper by the Institute of Labor Economics, found that in the first six months of the year, between one-fifth and one-fourth of women living in states with bans — who may have otherwise sought an abortion — did not get one."

That's the kind of stat I'm looking for, but curious how they came up with that number. Given the political winner this is for the democrats, I would expect to see article after article about the specific women who fall into this category. I haven't really seen that.

I just posted a story from the NYTimes detailing a story showing the ending of Roe prevented 20% to 25% of women who would have normal sought out an abortion did not get one.

That's the kind of stat I'm looking for, but curious how they came up with that number. Given the political winner this is for the democrats, I would expect to see article after article about the specific women who fall into this category. I haven't really seen that.
This story has been out for months just not in right wing media because they want to hide the fact the end of Roe has had an affect on 10s thousands of families in those states with strict bans.

Reactions: pawd
I fully expected more stories like this to blank the media landscape in the sunshine state this summer and fall. I expect all those northern transplants who moved to FL for the weather and tax free benefits to come out in force. It's may not be enough to get to the 60% threshold to protect woman's reproductive rights but could have a huge affect in the presidential. If FL falls it's over in November for Trump

I fully expected more stories like this to blank the media landscape in the sunshine state this summer and fall. I expect all those northern transplants who moved to FL for the weather and tax free benefits to come out in force. It's may not be enough to get to the 60% threshold to protect woman's reproductive rights but could have a huge affect in the presidential. If FL falls it's over in November for Trump

imho, I don't think any of this puts Florida in play. while Biden lost by only 3% in 2020, I don't think ballot initiatives are going to overcome other structural factors in the state.

Will leave the ethical debate to others, but the reality is that if you want to win elections in this country, you have to accept the reality that a large majority of the country supports the right to choose with some restricitons.

The other reality is that despite all the headlines and political points scored by democrats on the "Roe v Wade elimination," there seems to be no teeth in the whole thing. In other words, folks can still get abortions in this Country.

What Trump and the republicans need to do is to take an official position here, and repeat it constantly. Something like - Abortion should be legal for the first 3 months of a pregancy or in the case of rape at any time. Gotta truly take the teeth out of the false narrative that republicans are actively trying to eliminate abortion...because that has always been bullshit.
Only thing I would like to see eliminated is the taxpayers paying for it. Most people support a time limit on abortion. Trump has already stated he was for I think 15 week period but the Dems are ignoring what he said just like everything else.

imho, I don't think any of this puts Florida in play. while Biden lost by only 3% in 2020, I don't think ballot initiatives are going to overcome other structural factors in the state.
We will have to wait until November but supports of abortion rights have yet to lose a single ballot initiative and that includes in states: Montana, Kansas and Ohio. You combine abortion and weed legalization being on the ballot in FL may be enough for Dems to drive turnout. Also, FL isn't the paradise many in the right wing media is making out to be.

Reactions: pawd and celticdawg
We will have to wait until November but supports of abortion rights have yet to lose a single ballot initiative and that includes in states: Montana, Kansas and Ohio. You combine abortion and weed legalization being on the ballot in FL may be enough for Dems to drive turnout. Also, FL isn't the paradise many in the right wing media is making out to be.
I don’t believe abortion and weed is going to be an issue. The economy and the border is what is going to be the main issue. People are hurting now and that’s two main causes of it.

Reactions: oldmandawg
I agree it doesn't put Florida in play but it certainly occupies ad dollars that can be used in swing states. More time and money will be spent in Florida because of it and that helps Biden IMO.

I just posted a story from the NYTimes detailing a story showing the ending of Roe prevented 20% to 25% of women who would have normal sought out an abortion did not get one.
Again - would like to see the supporting data for that study. If that truly is the case, I would expect a 20%-25% reduction in abortions overall in this country.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
I agree it doesn't put Florida in play but it certainly occupies ad dollars that can be used in swing states. More time and money will be spent in Florida because of it and that helps Biden IMO.
I don’t know if money is going to win this race this time. People already know what Trump did for the country and they already know what Biden is doing. That’s the reason Trump is leading right now.

This is new development but this will drive Dem turnout in the sunshine state

As far as dim turnout, obviously you don't know that registered Republicans now outnumber registered 'RATs by 850,000 in my state ... and I am not even a registered Republican.
Still, on the abortion issue, some plan will be codified. I don't think it will be what the anti - abortion crowd wants and neither will it satisfy those who claim a mother has the right to homicide up through age 6.
I'm good with that however it turns out. Because, the people of each state can decide for themselves. When you follow the Constitution like SCOTUS did regarding this issue, nobody has a right to bitch although they probably will anyway.

Reactions: Georgia Jim
Nothing wins over independents like seeing AZ representatives gathering on the floor of the senate and speaking in tongues in support of a 123 year old law that threatens anyone who aids a woman getting an abortion with years in jail.

Yikes.

Idiots. No problem with the stance itself. But it totally ignores political realities. If we want to keep losing elections and ignore the long game of getting most, not all, of policies we want, we will allow this dumb shit to keep happening.

In our quest to bat 1.000 we will bat 0. We are in position to bat .700 if we avoid dumbass self sabotage.

Idiots. No problem with the stance itself. But it totally ignores political realities. If we want to keep losing elections and ignore the long game of getting most, not all, of policies we want, we will allow this dumb shit to keep happening.

In our quest to bat 1.000 we will bat 0. We are in position to bat .700 if we avoid dumbass self sabotage.
Not to be flip about this, but when you are convinced you are the instrument of God’s will on earth, not only is compromise not an option, it’s a grave sin.

Even as Trump tries to thread the needle, events like today will keep happening and it will directly undermine his efforts.

Not to be flip about this, but when you are convinced you are the instrument of God’s will on earth, not only is compromise not an option, it’s a grave sin.

Even as Trump tries to thread the needle, events like today will keep happening and it will directly undermine his efforts.
I could say the same about the righteous media / left mission and “ends justify the means” mentality.

You should read the article written by the liberal NPR journalist. It is really good and applies to a lot more than NPR.

Reactions: willdup
I could say the same about the righteous media / left mission and “ends justify the means” mentality.

You should read the article written by the liberal NPR journalist. It is really good and applies to a lot more than NPR.
This led me to think about left wing policies or positions that are both deeply unpopular and that people are passionate about.

Tax policy - mixed
Healthcare - messed up, loser for both parties
College debt relief - I guess.
Gun control - I think the Dems have more popular support.
LGBTQ policy - winner for the Dems
Trans athletes - unpopular, but do enough people care enough to impact their vote? I doubt it.

It’s an interesting exercise. My perception is that he GOP has more unpopular positions but I’m obviously slanted in my view.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT