ADVERTISEMENT

Enjoyed it, Guys. 11 years. Gotta go.**

Hate to see if you leave. If there's anything i can do to help you understand the new format feel free to drop me an email (anthonydasher@yahoo.com)

Just my opinion, but I think folks who hate it and those who like it would agree a hybrid view would be a great thing. I post on other sites that use vBulletin and while a topic view site, the hybrid option makes for better viewing overall. I guess the folks bailing wanted to see everything in the subject line. Not sure how much you can really say there, but ok.

Just my opinion, but I think folks who hate it and those who like it would agree a hybrid view would be a great thing. I post on other sites that use vBulletin and while a topic view site, the hybrid option makes for better viewing overall. I guess the folks bailing wanted to see everything in the subject line. Not sure how much you can really say there, but ok.
You can't have hybrid view without thread view

You can't have hybrid view without thread view
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that a hybrid view isn't possible unless a thread view option is also available? I've seen boards which only allowed topic view as the option for viewing the board but offered a hybrid view when viewing a thread. I don't think it's rocket science to include a hybrid view. My guess is that Yahoo decided that since more and more people are using mobile devices, they would cater only to them and say to hell with people who still use PCs.

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that a hybrid view isn't possible unless a thread view option is also available? I've seen boards which only allowed topic view as the option for viewing the board but offered a hybrid view when viewing a thread. I don't think it's rocket science to include a hybrid view. My guess is that Yahoo decided that since more and more people are using mobile devices, they would cater only to them and say to hell with people who still use PCs.

You absolutely can have a hybrid without having a thread view. I am a professional software development manager with 35 years experience. Some of the things that are said in here about what is and isn't possible is not grounded in reality.

My favorite was "thread view takes more bandwidth that topic view". That is just total garbage.

BTW. I work every day with 5 different languages and 4 different operating systems so, thread or topic makes no difference to me. I am impartial when it comes to that argument.

Correct.
In the program being used by YAHOO, you cant have hybrid view without having thread view as well.
The reason XenForo does not use thread view and ultimately not hybrid is because thread view is more difficult to maintain, breaks down, and compromises the experience for the 97 percent of the users across the network who use topic.
You're also correct that they needed something that worked better with mobile devices. More and more people use them than ever before, but that was not the main reason they put in the new system with the new boards. The reason is our old format was antiquated, had more bugs than Orkin could kill in a day and was constantly breaking down.

You absolutely can have a hybrid without having a thread view. I am a professional software development manager with 35 years experience. Some of the things that are said in here about what is and isn't possible is not grounded in reality.

My favorite was "thread view takes more bandwidth that topic view". That is just total garbage.

BTW. I work every day with 5 different languages and 4 different operating systems so, thread or topic makes no difference to me. I am impartial when it comes to that argument.
You need to call YAHOO (serious) and let them know then. XenForo says it's not possible without having the issues in my other response.

I've been a long time lurker. It appeared a lot of you guys were pretty close. Lots of great discussions through the years, good and bad. Why would you leave the Chat because of a new "format"???

I've been a long time lurker. It appeared a lot of you guys were pretty close. Lots of great discussions through the years, good and bad. Why would you leave the Chat because of a new "format"???
Because it's a conspiracy. One of the worlds largest corporations is getting real upset at discussions contrary to it's political makeup from a message board that caters 1/1,000 ncaa schools and 1/50 states.

Hate to see if you leave. If there's anything i can do to help you understand the new format feel free to drop me an email (anthonydasher@yahoo.com)

Mr. Dasher, sir, your post appears somewhat condescending. I don't think you are like that, but appearances are important.
Most of the critics of the new format understand the bells and whistles, but just don't like the changes as matters of personal preference. I include myself in that group.

Mr. Dasher, sir, your post appears somewhat condescending. I don't think you are like that, but appearances are important.
Most of the critics of the new format understand the bells and whistles, but just don't like the changes as matters of personal preference. I include myself in that group.

It was not at all condescending and I certainly was not being that......unfortunately some folks as you know want to make mountains out of molehills that were never there in the first place. Not saying you were, of course.....Seriously, I'm very sorry some folks are upset that there is no longer thread view. But it's not changing. I've explained why; if folks are still upset, I feel you, but there is nothing we can do to make YAHOO change especially when only three percent of the entire subscribers in the network used thread. They are not going to back and put in a 20-year old system that had more bugs than Carter has pills.....If folks have questions about something they don't understand about the new format they are always free to email myself or Radi and we will be happy to help you out.

Last edited:
Reactions: BirdDawg1980
It's not the new format, well I guess it is a little bit. So many people we know and talk to have dropped off over the last week or so that it's not as much fun.

It's not the new format, well I guess it is a little bit. So many people we know and talk to have dropped off over the last week or so that it's not as much fun.

I get that it's not the same. But if you guys would just give it a try for a few weeks, perhaps it would become just as entertaining as before.
Seems several of you 'old school' chatters are jumping ship outta spite.

The new format has taken the soul out of this place. That soul had been growing since the old days of the grapevine. It's a real shame. Going to stick around for content, but I'll be following others to a place that is starting to find a new soul.

Correct.
In the program being used by YAHOO, you cant have hybrid view without having thread view as well.
The reason XenForo does not use thread view and ultimately not hybrid is because thread view is more difficult to maintain, breaks down, and compromises the experience for the 97 percent of the users across the network who use topic.
You're also correct that they needed something that worked better with mobile devices. More and more people use them than ever before, but that was not the main reason they put in the new system with the new boards. The reason is our old format was antiquated, had more bugs than Orkin could kill in a day and was constantly breaking down.
I think Yahoo might be selling a bill of goods. I may be totally wrong, but I find it very hard to believe that there isn't a way to include at least a hybrid-view option that isn't difficult to maintain. It sounds like Yahoo just didn't want to pay for the functionality. That makes perfect sense if hardly any of their customers used thread view or the hybrid option - if no one was going to miss it, why bother having it? But then, I also have a hard time believing that people didn't like hybrid view. Ah well...

I think Yahoo might be selling a bill of goods. I may be totally wrong, but I find it very hard to believe that there isn't a way to include at least a hybrid-view option that isn't difficult to maintain. It sounds like Yahoo just didn't want to pay for the functionality. That makes perfect sense if hardly any of their customers used thread view or the hybrid option - if no one was going to miss it, why bother having it? But then, I also have a hard time believing that people didn't like hybrid view. Ah well...
That's not coming from YAHOO, it's coming from XenForo, considered by many one of the top software developers for communuty forums and web blogs in the country. They were hired by YAHOO to develop the current platform.

And now a new breed of bulldog stands ready, to take the reigns from their chat forbearers, knowing there is no tradition worthy of such envy or loyalty. This can be summed up in two simple words that express the sentiment of the entire board, new dawgchat

And now a new breed of bulldog stands ready, to take the reigns from their chat forbearers, knowing there is no tradition worthy of such envy or loyalty. This can be summed up in two simple words that express the sentiment of the entire board, new dawgchat
What if we were forebearers to the forebearers?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT