ADVERTISEMENT

From a mathematical standpoint, it's not wise to be emotionally invested in your favorite baseball team even if they are good. Stunning stat...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
In the NBA, the best team advances in a series 80% of the time. It would require a best-of-75 series to increase to that level of probability in baseball. It's for this reason, I stopped being emotionally invested in the postseason a long time ago, even though I'm a huge Braves fan.

I get wrapped up, when they are eliminated, I just turn it off until April (emotionally). And I'm going to be extremely honest, because of the random nature of baseball, I enjoyed the '21 championship, but silently, I felt it was cheap, because we had 88 wins and were much more deserving in so many other seasons. But then again, since the playoffs expanded in 1969 to JUST FOUR TEAMS, the team with the best record only won 32% of the time before the playoffs expanded again in 1994. Since then it's been a total crapshoot.

I think soccer realized this a long time ago, even with a much shorter regular season. The main accomplishment is winning the regular season... and then you get other lesser trophies for the tournaments. Not that I'm suggesting MLB adopts said model, but the accomplishment of being the best over 162 shouldn't feel so empty and futile.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News