ADVERTISEMENT

Gonna hade up to Amicalola Falls for a few days next week..Any tips, advice

If you hear banjos, watch your pop chut.

Otherwise, it's a beautiful place. Bring your camera and comfortable shoes for hiking. Can't say about local restaurants since we always made it a day TRIP, and usually packed a picnic lunch.

Cool...Thanks, Sapelo...Will bring camera and guard pop chut.*

HBTD

I spent 7 years working on the National Forest land North of Amicalola. Some really pretty areas to drive through ( probably need a pickup on most of the roads) and the Appalachian Trail in that area goes through some really scenic areas.

That's a beautiful place and so is the one between Franklin and

Highlands. Cant think of the name of the falls but it's huge. There is also one at the mouth of Lake Burton..

the old copperheads have a nasty habit of lying along game trails and..

hiking trails waiting for prey. The really adored fresh dozer line when we had a fire; gave me several 'Come to Jesus" experiences at night on firelines.

It's not too early for them? I will never use orange silt fence again

Stuck my hand 6 inches from one when I built my house. Don't know why he didn't bite me.

Dammit...Nevermind...I don't need any snake BS...Eff that noise.*

HBTD

Re: It's not too early for them? I will never use orange silt fence again

Seen a many copperhead in early April in Georgia and out here. On the cooler days they may be a little slow.

The one I stuck my hand close to was in October. Perfectly concealed

in the leaves and fence.

we've eaten at the restaurant in the lodge a few times

its pretty good, particularly if you are going to walk up all those steps to get to the top of the falls. Because after you do that, pretty much anything would taste good.

If you are an old geezer or if you can take an old geezer with you, you can actually park half-way up the hill, and have a level walk to the front of the falls. Then you can drive the rest of the way up to the top and see the view from there.

Amicalola is my favorite of all the Georgia state parks. You will enjoy the visit.

Our cabin is 3 miles from Amicalola State Park ... Here is my $.02

Be ready to drive to Ellijay, Dahlonega, Dawsonville, and/or Jasper for dining. Big Canoe is 10 minutes away, so you might check with some folks from there about their dining inside the development.

Dahlonega has some good choices: Corkscrew, Dantes, Yahoola Creek Grill, Crimson Moon

The dining room in the lodge is OK, but you will want to get out-and-about.

Here is something I have been meaning to check into... a day hike up to the Hike Inn (above Amicalola Lodge) and get a meal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT