ADVERTISEMENT

Got new Census the other day. Anybody know what the law is on answering

BullochDawg

War Daddy
May 29, 2001
The questions? Last time I put my name and how many people live in my house and sent it in.
They actually sent a guy to my house to get the rest of the answers. I told him "No disrespect to you, I know you're just doing your job, but I answered everything required by the Constitution. The rest is personal info that I don't have to share with the givernment". He shrugged, thanked me and left.
For all I know BO probably has an executive order calling for butt searches now.
Anybody know fo sho?

They came to my house, too ...

I was a dick to the guy, made him stand out in the cold wind. He wouldn't leave and finally convinced me to just let him go through his spiel and I could tell him I refused to answer. Said they would just keep coming back. I finally just let him read through it and I refused to answer all the questions.

According to the Census Bureau and their interpretation, you're obligated

to answer.

Here it is.....

The government, namely the Secretary of Commerce, is required by Article I of the United States Constitution to perform an count of the population every ten years "in such Manner as they [Congress] shall by Law direct." U.S. Const. art. I, § 2, cl. 3. To implement this Constitutional requirement into law, Congress enacted 13 United States Code (U.S.C.) § 141, which requires "a decennial census of population as of the first day of April of such year . . . in such form and content as he [the Secretary of Commerce] may determine . . . . In connection with any such census, the Secretary is authorized to obtain such other census information as necessary." .

The Census Bureau has authority under 13 U.S.C. §§ 141 and 193 to conduct the American Community Survey (the census). The Bureau also has authority to REQUIRE responses from the public to this survey. In short, it's illegal to refuse to answer the questions.

I resent the questions which are well beyond the intent

(original intent) of the census told them on the census form, it's none of their damnb business.

And I sure as hell don't like my tax $ funding the guy's existence. Gonna give him a ear full......go get a real job and stop being an agent of the communist party. Go do sumpin' that positively impacts GDP instead of being a drain on the few REAL remaining federal income tax payers.

standing by for tax audits.....

A census taker once tried to test me.....

I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

You can refuse to answer their questions at your door by doing this....

ask them to send their questions in WRITING by mail to your home. It's none of his business, per se, as I see it. But, just tell him you'll be glad to answer any questions when submitted in writing by mail to you.

The government already has much of the info already through loans, banks, SS, etc.

Re: A census taker once tried to test me.....

well played.

roll.r191677.gif

That's what I got the first guy to do ...

I answered the basic questions on the original census form when I got it, but no more than that. Then they came and I told them I didn't believe in answering those personal questions and it was none of their business. Then they sent me another form in writing and I didn't answer personal questions on it either. Then they cam back again and he told me they would keep coming, so I just let him go through the spiel and told him each question was none of his business. They finally gave up on me, I guess, because no one came back. Yet.

I have no problem with answering the basic questions, but there is a

Supplemental form that I got hit with last time, and it included page after page of stuff that was I flat refused to answer. Never mailed the supplement back in, and after a couple of attempts to contact me, they gave up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT