ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE Grayson football practice notes

LanceMcCurley

Letterman and National Champion
Staff
Aug 14, 2023
Athens, Ga.
Today, I went out to Grayson High School’s football practice and was impressed. Of course, they’ve got the nation’s No. 5 overall player in 2026, Tyler Atkinson, who has been to Georgia many times. But they’ve also got some other dudes. Here are a few notes from today’s practice:

— We can start with Tyler Atkinson. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound five-star linebacker had 197 tackles as a sophomore last year for the Ram. Atkinson wants to top that this year. Right now, Atkinson doesn’t give away much about his top schools, but a source told me the Dawgs are at the very top of his list. As I said earlier, he’s been to Athens 10,000 times already. Atkinson, Glenn Schumann, and Kirby Smart all hung out on a random Wednesday night a few months ago and took in a Georgia men’s basketball game. I asked him about that visit, and he said they talked about everything but football. Atkinson really loves Schumann and Smart. In my opinion, he’s their top priority in 2026. Atkinson is the leader of that Grayson defense, and Georgia’s coaches took notice of that last fall. Atkinson will be back in Athens several times over the summer. It’s too early in his recruitment to guess, but if I were a betting man, I’d put my money on Georgia. This kid is unique and has a good head on his shoulders for a 16-year-old. Atkinson is the kind of player Smart wants to represent his program.

— Next, we move on to four-star outside linebacker Anthony Davis. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound linebacker impressed me at the Atlanta Rivals camp last month impressed me. Today, I saw Davis again, and he impressed me even more. For one, he has size and moves well. Davis also brings a lot of energy when on the football field. His recruitment is blowing up, with recent big-time offers from Ohio State, West Virginia, Notre Dame, and a few others. I am told Davis and Atkinson are best friends, and they play opposite of each other on the field at Grayson. Davis is starting to hear from Georgia a little more in the past few months. He said the staff loves his high energy and play-making abilities. Davis will attend a camp at Georgia next month and wants to strengthen his relationship with the staff. An offer from the Bulldogs "would mean the world" to Davis, who is very high on the program.

— Another player who impressed today at Grayson was Makhi Brazier, a recent transfer from South Gwinnett. Brazier is listed as an athlete but will be a linebacker for Grayson alongside Atkinson and Davis. Brazier has good film, and colleges have started to pick up on him. His recruitment will blow up soon. Brazier has offers from Indiana, UCF, Miami (OH), and Georgia State. He's a 2026 kid, so he has time to grow, but currently, he's listed at 6-foot-2, 205 pounds. Brazier grew up a Georgia fan and can't wait to camp again in Athens this summer. Brazier has had some contact with the staff, but not much. Brazier looks forward to growing as a player and seeing where his recruitment grows. Brazier will be a name to watch moving forward. Tyler Atkinson spoke highly of him, which says a lot.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News