ADVERTISEMENT

Heading to Cape San Blas soon...

Any dining or activity suggestions in the area.
Indian Pass Raw Bar. Very unique. But nothing on cape San blas except for a hamburger joint near the entrance to the state park. It's a pretty area, very laid back, very safe. Absolutely nothing to do there which could be a plus.
Go to the Piggly wiggly in Port St Joe and get ribeye steaks and grill them. They have some of the best ribeye steaks I've ever had. We've eaten steaks from there for several years.
As far as for activity I would go to the marina at Port St Joe or the Marina at St Joseph State Park and rent a pontoon boat and just cruise around the bay. There's a very pretty place that is sandy to anchor at the very end of the cape, you can swim and sun.

Thanks guys. Looks like limited options but almost all look very good. Fresh seafood and some relaxation is all I really need. May try to do some fishing. Not sure if there is a good charter option or just rent a boat.
Stray, please do give us a full report. Last September, we went through that area on the way back from Destin and stayed in Appalachicola. I ate my weight in oysters. Mexico Beach was on the rebuild, and Port St. Joe looked interesting. I used to have a wacky aunt that lived there. She lived on Budweiser and cigarettes and passed the time fishing and crocheting the tackiest stuff.

Stray, please do give us a full report. Last September, we went through that area on the way back from Destin and stayed in Appalachicola. I ate my weight in oysters. Mexico Beach was on the rebuild, and Port St. Joe looked interesting. I used to have a wacky aunt that lived there. She lived on Budweiser and cigarettes and passed the time fishing and crocheting the tackiest stuff.
last vacation that I tripped was Mexico Beach with a buddy.
It was devastated, but we found a nice place on the beach.
walked or drove mile and a half to convenience/ grocery store for daily supplies.
great food a few days at the same hole in the wall restaurant...

Check out Perfect Cast Charters. Captain Dan is a terrific guide and a great guy.
Thanks for the suggestion but he is booked up all month. Any other captains you recommend? Anyone do offshore fishing in the area?

Reactions: LikeClicker3000
I think @wwforest pretty much nailed it. I think your aunt spent her time doing the most exciting things in that town. Not much to do but lay on the beach, fish and eat. Which wasn't bad, but if you have kids they will not have anything else to do. They have several developers building neighborhoods which appear to be attracting retirees.

We ate at several places and almost all were good. Sand Dollar is good for breakfast...mostly because there isn't any other option. Provisions is dynamite. Krazy fish was very good too. Ronnie B's feels like old school florida and kind of "local".
Went to hole in the wall in Apalachicola. Limited menu and was a bit worried when I saw the employees and other customers but I was wrong. Had some great oysters and one of my best pieces of grouper ever. Good folks but will be a long wait in season because the place is small.
We tried to go to Indian Pass raw bar on friday night...BIG mistake. 2 hour wait, so we went elsewhere.

St. Joe shrimp company has 2 locations and you can buy fresh seafood. It's more of seafood market than a restaurant. You can get them to fry up whatever you want until about 4pm. They shut down the steamer at 6pm I think. We got a low country boil to go and it was very good, they have their own spice mix and it's really good.

Most restaurants close at 9 but will close sooner on a whim if business is slow. Don't wait too late to head out because they roll up the sidewalks early there.

They have a Hungry Howie's there but of course we didn't go. I only mention because I haven't seen one in so many years.
We also drove to St George's Island to eat at the blue parrot which may have been the best meal. That place is loaded with tourists.

Went to Piggly Wiggly but we didn't grill any steaks. The meat did look exceptional, i'm curious why their meat is better. I assume they are not getting from the main Piggly source. Maybe next time.

Trying to book now in Charleston or Cape Cod/Nantucket for late Aug/early Sept is not looking good. The trip will cost me more than my Scotland trip 2 years ago. Maybe they're only courting foreign travelers with deeper pockets.

Trying to book now in Charleston or Cape Cod/Nantucket for late Aug/early Sept is not looking good. The trip will cost me more than my Scotland trip 2 years ago. Maybe they're only courting foreign travelers with deeper pockets.
Insane amount of people traveling this year. Everywhere is booked up.

I think @wwforest pretty much nailed it. I think your aunt spent her time doing the most exciting things in that town. Not much to do but lay on the beach, fish and eat. Which wasn't bad, but if you have kids they will not have anything else to do. They have several developers building neighborhoods which appear to be attracting retirees.

We ate at several places and almost all were good. Sand Dollar is good for breakfast...mostly because there isn't any other option. Provisions is dynamite. Krazy fish was very good too. Ronnie B's feels like old school florida and kind of "local".
Went to hole in the wall in Apalachicola. Limited menu and was a bit worried when I saw the employees and other customers but I was wrong. Had some great oysters and one of my best pieces of grouper ever. Good folks but will be a long wait in season because the place is small.
We tried to go to Indian Pass raw bar on friday night...BIG mistake. 2 hour wait, so we went elsewhere.

St. Joe shrimp company has 2 locations and you can buy fresh seafood. It's more of seafood market than a restaurant. You can get them to fry up whatever you want until about 4pm. They shut down the steamer at 6pm I think. We got a low country boil to go and it was very good, they have their own spice mix and it's really good.

Most restaurants close at 9 but will close sooner on a whim if business is slow. Don't wait too late to head out because they roll up the sidewalks early there.

They have a Hungry Howie's there but of course we didn't go. I only mention because I haven't seen one in so many years.
We also drove to St George's Island to eat at the blue parrot which may have been the best meal. That place is loaded with tourists.

Went to Piggly Wiggly but we didn't grill any steaks. The meat did look exceptional, i'm curious why their meat is better. I assume they are not getting from the main Piggly source. Maybe next time.
Thanks for that great report!

The Blue Parrot? Didnt have a Signor Ferrari hanging around, did they?

Update: this is me looking on vrbo.com for a good deal on a "cheap" beachfront condo near Charleston that accommodates 2 people...

$302.00 x 5 nights $1,510.00 (wow what a bargain!)
Owner Fees$304.00
Linen Fee$70.00
Final Cleaning$10.00
Damage Waiver$69.95
Administrative Fee$66.30
Reservation$37.75
Cleaning Fee$50.00
Service Fee$200.00
Tax$231.00
Total$2,245.00 (WTF)

The hotel taxes are higher in SC than in MA, apparently. Isn't the listed price of $302/night a bit misleading?

Update: this is me looking on vrbo.com for a good deal on a "cheap" beachfront condo near Charleston that accommodates 2 people...

$302.00 x 5 nights $1,510.00 (wow what a bargain!)
Owner Fees$304.00
Linen Fee$70.00
Final Cleaning$10.00
Damage Waiver$69.95
Administrative Fee$66.30
Reservation$37.75
Cleaning Fee$50.00
Service Fee$200.00
Tax$231.00
Total$2,245.00 (WTF)

The hotel taxes are higher in SC than in MA, apparently. Isn't the listed price of $302/night a bit misleading?
Yes it is. States have started hammering the home rentals to make up for their lost hotel tax revenues. Complete BS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT