ADVERTISEMENT

How are we to evaluate teams? I know a lot of people tend to lean towards “you are what your record says you are,” but I’ve always believed in judging

FootballDawgFan

War Daddy
Silver Member
Sep 9, 2001
A team at a given point in time.

I’ve read the Clemson message boards and one central theme keeps coming up as it pertains to our game with them in 2024.

Some of their posters keep saying, “we played a much better team in 2021 and only lost 10-3.”

That’s where this notion on looking back on a team through the lens of all their accomplishments skews the real time evaluation of the team. That 2021 week one team was nothing like the the post-season regarded 2021 team. JT Daniels was the QB. Brock was in his first game. Our team hadn’t gelled. Truth be told this 2024 team going into week one is more well-regarded than that 2021 team was going into the year. Clemson was favored in that game. Many people forget that.
That Clemson team was much more well regarded going into that 2021 game than this Clemson team. I just think that’s a weird rallying point that some of their posters are making.

My ultimate example of this judging a team on a certain day versus their season long accomplishments is 2016 Ole Miss. I contend that only 2019 LSU or 2021 Alabama are the only teams we have played in Kirby’s tenure that were better than that 2016 Ole Miss team we played on that day. No one was beating that team the way they played that day. Year long that Ole Miss team wasn’t good, but on that day they were one of the best teams in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News