ADVERTISEMENT

How does the members of the chat feel about this , tip or no tip for services .

OlecountryDawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Jan 24, 2008
I tell ya this change my outlook…

I'm a conservative person, but this is one area I'll never understand. If you took a job and agreed to an hourly wage, why is it my responsibility as a customer to subsidize your agreed upon wage with a tip? If you feel that your hourly wage isn't enough, then you should be asking your employer for more money. If their business model can't support that, then maybe they need to adjust their model.

Tipping creates this unnecessary awkwardness between the server and customer that need not be there, and the business owner wins, because your frustration ends up being directed at the customer instead of them.

For example:

A: If a service costs me $50, but I'm expected to tip, then the service actually is costing me $65 or so, but there's this gray area created by tipping culture. If I don't tip enough, the server is mad at me, if I tip too much, I may be aggravated about that.

B: the business pays their employees an agreed upon wage and charges $65 for the service with no tips. Now theres no gray area for me to feel guilty about and theres absolutely no awkwardness between customer and server.

The US is the only 1st world country that relies upon tipping for wages and I think its dumb.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT