ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE I spoke with ‘24 CB Marcellus Barnes Jr.

LanceMcCurley

Letterman and National Champion
Staff
Aug 14, 2023
Athens, Ga.
I made a note earlier this week on UGA trying to flip 3-star Virginia Tech commit Marcellus Barnes Jr., which he confirmed to me on Wednesday night. He said the staff is “respectful” of his commitment to the Hokies, but are in contact with him almost every day. The Bulldogs offered him back in March and they started building the relationship way before that.

He’s been to Georgia several times over the last few years and grew up knowing about the program. He’s from around Chattanooga and plays for a powerhouse program in the McCallie School.

Barnes said UGA is recruiting him as a cornerback but he also plays a little safety. He added that he could see himself playing both at the college level. UGA is in need of a few more defensive backs, and I’m told the Bulldogs’ staff is really high on him. Fran Brown had been pushing for Barnes to get back on campus for a game, and he did this past week.

Barnes is high on competition and loves that Georgia promotes it. He says he’s a high-energy kid that can “move around in the defensive backfield.”

Barnes also told me he measured in around 6-3, 175 pounds. Keep on eye on Barnes over the next few months.

@JedMay is going to see him tonight.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News