ADVERTISEMENT

If We had 13 more 5 star players on this team, how more better would it be ?....

HeulenHund2

Letterman and National Champion
Apr 30, 2015
Since 2011 We've signed a total of 7 rated 5 stars. In that period Bama has signed 20, that doesn't even account for their high 4 star players.
If Our coaches had those 13 guys, I wonder how We'd stack up against the top teams.
This year Our 5 star signings were Terry Godwin and Trenton Thompson. Imagine having 5 more TTs on defense, given how good We are on D, I'd like Our chances against anybody with that much ability to work with.
We beat Saban in Tuscaloosa before He had all these years of top classes on roster.
I'm just saying, there would be more genius coaches with The Midget's players.
Of course recruiting is essential in CFB, but it's not like Bama is winning with Kansas State's walk ons and transfers.

I'm not sure if CMR and staff could get the '75 Steelers ready to play.

We'll never know how We'd of stacked up against Bama with equal talent.
On the other hand there are programs doing more with less, but it ain't the geniuses in Tuscaloosa.

Since 2011 We've signed a total of 7 rated 5 stars. In that period Bama has signed 20, that doesn't even account for their high 4 star players.
If Our coaches had those 13 guys, I wonder how We'd stack up against the top teams.
This year Our 5 star signings were Terry Godwin and Trenton Thompson. Imagine having 5 more TTs on defense, given how good We are on D, I'd like Our chances against anybody with that much ability to work with.
We beat Saban in Tuscaloosa before He had all these years of top classes on roster.
Of course recruiting is essential in CFB, but it's not like Bama is winning with Kansas State's walk ons and transfers.
On the other hand we signed 6 five stars 2004 thru 2008 and they signed 1. Yet they laced us in Athens in 2008 and went 12-0 regular season. They had 1 five star in 2009 and went 14-0 and national title. Both years practically all starters (read 16 of 22 starters on '09 natty signed by MS) were Shula recruits. I think the lesson is you can win big pretty fast (remember they went like 7-6 in 2007) with great coaching and player development but you then need both to sustain.

On the other hand we signed 6 five stars 2004 thru 2008 and they signed 1. Yet they laced us in Athens in 2008 and went 12-0 regular season. They had 1 five star in 2009 and went 14-0 and national title. Both years practically all starters (read 16 of 22 starters on '09 natty signed by MS) were Shula recruits. I think the lesson is you can win big pretty fast (remember they went like 7-6 in 2007) with great coaching and player development but you then need both to sustain.

Good info, I'll back check it later today.
I really regret We'll never see what Pruitt's staff could have produced given 2 more years though. I feel We had the best group of D-Coaches in CFB.

Of course I expect Kirby to turn out a solid defense, but I sure was looking forward to watching Us progress on the course We'd set.

Last edited:

No idea, i think you have to coach up. You can win with less, but it sure helps when loaded. The problem for CMR, IMO, was that early he did coach players up to the next level...later on, it became more of our talent vs our opponents. We won with superior talent, but in a few cases, if a coach did a better job with his lesser guys...we lost..at times got whipped (Boise State had nothing on us talent wise, but Peterson god the most possible out of them)

No idea, i think you have to coach up. You can win with less, but it sure helps when loaded. The problem for CMR, IMO, was that early he did coach players up to the next level...later on, it became more of our talent vs our opponents. We won with superior talent, but in a few cases, if a coach did a better job with his lesser guys...we lost..at times got whipped (Boise State had nothing on us talent wise, but Peterson god the most possible out of them)

I agree with all of that. I don't understand why Petersen's success has been so underwhelming at Washington so far. It goes to show it's still a guess when making a coaching change, even with a HC with Petersen's record.
No doubt Richt faded after his great start.
We had some really positive things in the works though. Too bad he hired the wrong OC and lost the time it would have taken to mature the defense and build the offense to hold up their end.
Imagine if We had the 2014 offense and the 2017 defense, that was what I was looking forward to seeing. If we could have built a very good offense to go with the defense..I think We'd have seen something to compare with Our best periods in program history.
Of course We might yet, just not with the old staff.

I agree with all of that. I don't understand why Petersen's success has been so underwhelming at Washington so far. It goes to show it's still a guess when making a coaching change, even with a HC with Petersen's record.
No doubt Richt faded after his great start.
We had some really positive things in the works though. Too bad he hired the wrong OC and lost the time it would have taken to mature the defense and build the offense to hold up their end.
Imagine if We had the 2014 offense and the 2017 defense, that was what I was looking forward to seeing. If we could have built a very good offense to go with the defense..I think We'd have seen something to compare with Our best periods in program history.
Of course We might yet, just not with the old staff.

Well, washington isn't a mecca of football talent, but you do have to face teams that recruit California heavily, something he didn't have to worry about previously. IT's one of the reasons i worry about Eason, he hasn't faced the talent he would have in CA, TX, GA, FL, AL, etc... Still early for Petersen and we don't know, now that we know about Sarkisian and booze, what if any impact it had at UW (thinking about HS coaches and the likes who might have gone out with him for dinner and such.) We had defense that seemed to be trending positively, offense was a worry and depth on both sides is/was a worry.

Yes, if we combine them, would have been great, but that was a constant with CMR if you think about it....even during years of success. Early on, D was great, O was great at moving ball, but not good at converting touchdowns (CMR as OC seemed to have red zone issues) then it flipped after BVG and Bobo, where we scored, but couldn't stop anyone. This year, it seemed to swing back. That's why, granted just a comment, I loved when Kirby said he would be hands on with all 3 phases...D, O, and ST.

Well, washington isn't a mecca of football talent, but you do have to face teams that recruit California heavily, something he didn't have to worry about previously. IT's one of the reasons i worry about Eason, he hasn't faced the talent he would have in CA, TX, GA, FL, AL, etc... Still early for Petersen and we don't know, now that we know about Sarkisian and booze, what if any impact it had at UW (thinking about HS coaches and the likes who might have gone out with him for dinner and such.) We had defense that seemed to be trending positively, offense was a worry and depth on both sides is/was a worry.

Yes, if we combine them, would have been great, but that was a constant with CMR if you think about it....even during years of success. Early on, D was great, O was great at moving ball, but not good at converting touchdowns (CMR as OC seemed to have red zone issues) then it flipped after BVG and Bobo, where we scored, but couldn't stop anyone. This year, it seemed to swing back. That's why, granted just a comment, I loved when Kirby said he would be hands on with all 3 phases...D, O, and ST.

Washington isn't a mecca, but they recruit far more 3 and 4 star players than Petersen got at Boise St. It's remarkable what He accomplished with a lot of 2 star and some 3 star players. It's not like he wasn't beating good teams either, He beat Oklahoma and Georgia to name 2.

Washington will be fine, he is a great coach. He now has UDUB admission standards to contend with....

Wish we would set up a home and away there, love Seattle, UW was my second favorite school.

Washington isn't a mecca, but they recruit far more 3 and 4 star players than Petersen got at Boise St. It's remarkable what He accomplished with a lot of 2 star and some 3 star players. It's not like he wasn't beating good teams either, He beat Oklahoma and Georgia to name 2.

Oh i get that he has better players, but he's also facing far better players on a more regular basis. Much easier to beat a good team, with time to prepare, with less talent once a season than to do it week in week out. If you look back at it, his last class that he signed at BSU had 0 4 star and 18 3 star...lastest class at UW...4 4 star, 19 3...only difference there...4 4 star. But it's the competition. USC 1 5, 17 4; Oregon 1 5, 8 4; UCLA 0 5, 10 4; Stanford 6 4...these are the teams he has to beat to get to the upper echelon of the Pac 12. I think he can get there, just going to take some time.

Mark Richt was overrated as a recruiter. He was able to bring lots of five and four stars -- not as many as Saban and Meyers, but enough. The problem was that a year never went by without a major hole in our roster. For at least a decade, it was the offensive line (and he never recruited an elite one). Then it was cornerbacks, safeties and defensive tackles. Now, it's wide receivers -- which is particularly inexplicable, since we rely so heavily on the passing game passing game. And speaking of the passing game, how could we only have only had the options at quarterback that we had this year?

And, that's not to mention the guys he neglected to recruit, like Cam Newton and Deshaun Watson, or the guys he recruited for the wrong position, like Nick Marshall.

Oh i get that he has better players, but he's also facing far better players on a more regular basis. Much easier to beat a good team, with time to prepare, with less talent once a season than to do it week in week out. If you look back at it, his last class that he signed at BSU had 0 4 star and 18 3 star...lastest class at UW...4 4 star, 19 3...only difference there...4 4 star. But it's the competition. USC 1 5, 17 4; Oregon 1 5, 8 4; UCLA 0 5, 10 4; Stanford 6 4...these are the teams he has to beat to get to the upper echelon of the Pac 12. I think he can get there, just going to take some time.

You expected Him to do better at Washington though, right ?
I thought He'd be lights out. So far results have likely been below average for their program's history. UW isn't a big power, but they have won in the past.

You expected Him to do better at Washington though, right ?
I thought He'd be lights out. So far results have likely been below average for their program's history. UW isn't a big power, but they have won in the past.

Thought he would and still think he will. Boise State was taking over an already good program, on the rise already and such. Combine the fact that he didn't have to out recruit much in the Mtn West. No, i didn't think he would be in that top 5 in Pac 12 yet. He isn't that far out of being top 3 in his division, but overcoming Stanford and Oregon is going to take a bit of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT