ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg If you weren't legally required to have car insurance, would you buy it?...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
For me, the answer would be an emphatic no. I've driven for 32 years (legally that is, 34 if you count the years when my dad made/encouraged me to drive to school, church and to the store... and taking the wheel on long trips)... and I've never had to use it once.

Last edited:
For me, the answer would be an emphatic no. I've driven for 32 years (legally that is, 34 if you count the years when my dad made/encouraged me to drive to school, church and to the store... and taking the wheel on long trips)... and I've never had to use it once. Biggest waste in my life.
You don’t need it until you do. Imagine how dangerous this world would be if people didn’t have to have liability insurance.

I wouldn’t either. Been driving over 42 years never needed it. Thank God. But man I have paid some $ over the years. On average prob 2000-2500 yearly. But I have several vehicles and raised 4 kids. But it’s a ripoff for sure.

Yes. Got hit by a car walking down the road and fortunately my insurance agent had us maxed out for uninsured motorist insurance and it was a blessing. Had nothing to do with MY driving record or lack thereof. As someone else said, you don’t need it until you do!

yes, i would get insurance.
i have had to use my insurance probably 8 times due to accidents, deer, and a buzzard. none were my fault. i never had to do more than notify my agent and everything was taken care of including rentals.
i still have paid in more than i got out.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
Yes. Got hit by a car walking down the road and fortunately my insurance agent had us maxed out for uninsured motorist insurance and it was a blessing. Had nothing to do with MY driving record or lack thereof. As someone else said, you don’t need it until you do!
Still not down with it. I don't like it that I'm not allowed to drink at the beach because some other assholes ruined for everyone else. I don't believe penalizing everyone as a preventative measure is the right idea or morally correct. There needs to be a different system altogether.

Quick Google says about 13% of people are driving around with no coverage at all.

Recalling an amazing stat from when I lived in So Cal. In 2018, 42% of the auto accidents in LA county were hit and run. You guessed it, lots of uninsured motorists (you can also guess why that is).

Like many things in life, not only do you have to play/pay by the rules, you get to pay for all the folks that don’t bother with the rules.

Still not down with it. I don't like it that I'm not allowed to drink at the beach because some other assholes ruined for everyone else. I don't believe penalizing everyone as a preventative measure is the right idea or morally correct. There needs to be a different system altogether.
Ok. Like you said, it’s your choice.

For me, the answer would be an emphatic no. I've driven for 32 years (legally that is, 34 if you count the years when my dad made/encouraged me to drive to school, church and to the store... and taking the wheel on long trips)... and I've never had to use it once. Biggest waste in my life.

And yes, I'm aware of the consequences. I'm 'Mr. Unintended Consequenses'.
Take the steps necessary to make yourself judgement proof. I did long ago.
Control everything. Own nothing.

If someone ran into your family and hurt your wife and kids seriously, you would pray to God that the other driver had insurance or that you didn’t allow your uninsured motorist coverage to lapse.

And if you killed someone disabled them for life, you would regret not signing up.

Just saying.

Reactions: celticdawg
If someone ran into your family and hurt your wife and kids seriously, you would pray to God that the other driver had insurance or that you didn’t allow your uninsured motorist coverage to lapse.

And if you killed someone disabled them for life, you would regret not signing up.

Just saying.
I don't have any family except an elderly dad, so I'm good there.

If I disabled someone, I would be in prison where I belong... and a person being compensated for their trouble, shouldn't be predicated on how much the offender has or doesn't have.

Thirdly, a lot of my POV is predicated on a bad system (which ties into my thinking above). At a certain point, if you've paid decades in (without incident), you shouldn't be required to pay anymore... unless perhaps you do something that requires a certain monetary amount that crosses a threshold where paying back in is required.

Too much of this thinking (by many in this thread) is bad programing, due to a corrupt system. The system needs to change. People who have never done anything wrong behind the wheel, shouldn't be penalized because of the shortcomings of others. In the same vain, I think tax breaks for living a healthy lifestyle should be a possibility. There are too many people who don't take care of themselves who create unfair burden on people who do the right things.

Reactions: Double Deuce Dawg
I own lots and lots of shi+. Every time I move I realize just how much. I move it anyway, in the same box that I moved it from my last house, only with more boxes now from what I accumulated. I am in my 4th (and last) house. Been here 6 years and still haven't unpacked the crap from the move.

Reactions: BaronVonHeinsteidel

Go right ahead. And when the day comes when you need it and you’re sued and wind up broke you can still come on the Chats for entertainment.

If I disabled someone, I would be in prison where I belong... and a person being compensated for their trouble, shouldn't be predicated on how much the offender has or doesn't have.

Thirdly, a lot of my POV is predicated on a bad system (which ties into my thinking above). At a certain point, if you've paid decades in (without incident), you shouldn't be required to pay anymore... unless perhaps you do something that requires a certain monetary amount that crosses a threshold where paying back in is required.

Too much of this thinking (by many in this thread) is bad programing, due to a corrupt system. The system needs to change. People who have never done anything wrong behind the wheel, shouldn't be penalized because of the shortcomings of others. In the same vain, I think tax breaks for living a healthy lifestyle should be a possibility. There are too many people who don't take care of themselves who create unfair burden on people who do the right things.
In trying to understand your point, your opinion….If someone hit you and caused you financial ruin and you had no money for surgery, and they had no insurance and no assets, what would you do? Who pays the bills and your loss of income?

In trying to understand your point, your opinion….If someone hit you and caused you financial ruin and you had no money for surgery, and they had no insurance and no assets, what would you do? Who pays the bills and your loss of income?
The system that had been paid into.

Let me make this simpler, because it's apparent that the system itself has warped everyone's thinking.

Person A gets hit by a car person by B.
Person B, for some weird reason isn't insured when he hits person A because of a glitch in the system, but had paid into a system for 50 years.

By the logic of society (because we can't even conceptualize insurance being valid unless someone is currently paying into it) person A shouldn't be paid person B isn't currently paying into the system... and it's not even on your collective radar that the money paid in, should the previous years should matter.

But I digress...

Last edited:

The standard is the standard. The system sucks.....
Unfortunately, the system is the system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT