ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting but not serious thought on college football realignment

walesdawg

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2009
Waleska, Ga
Over the years, I have contemplated how I would set up college football if I were a dictator of the entire country. It's a fun exercise to attempt to keep some traditional rivalries together while keeping some regional aspects intact. I had worked out a pod system many years ago before we had even expanded.

Anyway, I had an interesting thought. This is not serious, I am not calling for it, and responses telling me that this is never going to happen are hereby conceded without further acknowledgment. I get it. It's more of a "what if" thing meant for discussion. I almost didn't bother to post it. The inspiration came from repeated arguments "well, my school is better than yours" after we pummel someone in football.

What if there were 80 teams, made up of all the power 5 and a few more to even it out...8 divisions, 10 teams apiece. . the divisions are national and not regional, and are based on where your school fell on the top college list from US News or whatever. You either take the best 2 from each and make a 16 team playoff....OR.... make the teams play the 4 teams ahead and behind you. The best thing about this is the novelty, but also it can be easily updated every few years. I don't LIKE this and I don't really want it, but it is an interesting concept. It might make a school want to improve academically if it could get into a better division.

I like it because Georgia is relatively high so when a mouth breather from Penn State wants to complain about school quality, he doesn't have a leg to stand on....i"m an alumnus so I take it personally.

Division 1: Stanford, duke, northwestern, vanderbilt, notre dame, cal, ucla, michigan, usc, virginia
Division 2: Florida, north carolina, wake forest, boston college, texas, wisconsin, illinois, Ga Tech, Ohio State, Georgia
Division 3: Purdue, FSU, Rutgers, Maryland, Miami, Washington, Syracuse, Minnesota, Pitt, Va Tech
Divions 4: Texas AM, UConn, Umass, Indiana, NC State, Baylor, Clemson, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa

and so on..... I'm not finishing typing this because I'm not expecting any comments. I just need a place to share.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News