ADVERTISEMENT

I've long been a proponent of picking 4 teams AFTER the bowls...and it would solve a lot of problems

Coach sUGAr

National Champion
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2021
I think they've got the 12-team playoff deal all wrong, and they might just screw up college football along the way. Long ago, Coach Dooley was a proponent of playing 1 more game after the traditional bowl tie-ins. I actually think a 4 team playoff after the bowls is what is needed.

There are problems right now in college football that the powers that be don't quite seem to know how to fix, and I've thought they were thinking about it wrongly.
  • The diminishment of traditional bowls (both the schedules, opt outs and fan attendance)
  • Access for G5 teams
  • Data points -- that is, we don't really know if a G5 team can compete or if the Pac12 champ is really legit.
I think we should keep the traditional bowl tie-ins, create an access & data point for G5 teams and then pick the 4 teams. #1 and #2 host the semis at their place. Everyone would bring their A-games to the bowls, and the committees would be charged with creating match-ups to give us the best data for choosing the 4, meaning have 4 play 5 if at all possible. Have 3 play 7 if possible. Have the G5 play 1 or 2 if possible. Here's what the lineup could look like around New Year's, and I'm going to go on the assumption that the current 1-4 win their leagues (and I know this year Jan. 1 is on a Sunday, but I'm saying Jan. 1 because that's what it'd be most years -- and this would return the magic to New Year's Day):

Peach - Dec. 31 @ 5 p.m. - Washington vs. FSU or K-State
Fiesta - Dec. 31 @ 8:30 p.m. - Ohio St. vs. Tennessee
Cotton - Jan. 1 @ 12 p.m. - TCU - Bama
Orange - Jan. 1 @ 3:30 p.m. - Clemson vs. Penn St.
Rose - Jan. 1 @ 5:00 p.m. - USC vs. Michigan
Sugar - Jan. 1 @ 8:30 p.m. - Georgia vs. Tulane

See what happens with those bowls, then pick your top 4. You'll know if Tulane is for real. We'll see what TCU is made of. Perhaps Penn St., Mich. and Ohio St. all roll and the Big Ten is better than we think, with only losses to each other. Will Tennessee boat race Ohio St and prove that maybe they deserve a seat at the table.

I wouldn't even say you have to win your bowl to get in the top 4. That's not the point. It's to create data an intrigue. Perhaps you say you have to win your bowl to be 1 or 2.

I've always thought it'd make the bowls more fun. Those 36 hours would be must-see TV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News