ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Carter - Drew Rosenhaus

nclawdawg

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2005
None of us know the true story on Jalen's situation. Could be as simple as young guy who likes to drive fast (confession -- I got 8 speeding tickets between 16 and 30) and have fun. Like many of us at that age he may have thought that he and his friends were invincible. Unfortunately, a tragedy followed. I have empathy for him and everyone else involved. Could be more going on as well. Truth is, I do not know. All I know is he was the the best interior lineman in college football.

I have no doubt that the time period after the accident and the related publicity would have worn down any kid -- so it does not surprise me he was overweight and out of shape for pro day. That is no evidence of bad character in my eyes.

This type of situation is where the support of an agency could really make a difference, help him recover for the tragedy, and help him rebuild his brand. I fear he did not help himself with the selection of his agent. Though Rosenhaus has landed some big contracts for some big players, in my opinion, he has a shady reputation in NFL circles. He has been investigated by the NFLPA, investigated for gambling connections, sued for fraud, alleged to have supplied hookers and blow to players, etc. His pronouncement that Jalen Carter will only meet with teams holding the top 10 picks is a typical Rosenhaus grandstanding move that is just stupid and ill-advised. It reinforces the narrative going around about Jalen and it hamstrings the kid's opportunities. Right now there are 22 teams outside the top 10 who might be considering a move to trade up for Jalen if he drops past the first 5 picks. But none of them will have the chance to meet with Jalen to judge his character for themselves. May work out, may not. But if he is still in the green room at pick 11 you'll know this move did not help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News