ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby mentioned the '20 game at Lexington

Saxondawg

Moderator but one of the nice ones.
May 29, 2001
Chamblee GA
www.robsuggs.com
He said the players all say it was a really physical game. I could remember nothing about that one so I looked it up. I'll save you the YouTube link because it's not much to watch; a 14-3 Dawgs victory. But it really made me think—there was most of the same team that won a national championship the next year. Stetson with Zeus and Cook, Kearis, even Big O making a big catch. All that defense on the field, most of it now playing Sundays. And we just weren't that great a team. You could see how the defense was a year away from something terrific, but the offense—Monken was still unpacking. Stetson hadn't really been prepped at all to start. We were very erratic, and Stetson made some ugly throws and some nice ones.

The next year, Monken was fully unpacked. Stet cut down tremendously on the ugly throws and upped his game, as the world said, naw, you're not a winner. Our offense became dynamic. Bowers descended from the heavens. It's amazing how far we've come; we lost the following game, against Florida, two make it two losses out of three games, and we haven't dropped a regular season game since. We've reeled off 26 straight in the regular season since that loss.

Good times, folks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News