ADVERTISEMENT

Last year, the SEC distributed $49.9M to every team...

fdawg1103

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
So how would a salary cap work? And would it be legal or would it have to be collectively bargained?

I wonder if this could be handled at the conference level with each conference agreeing to implement a similar "CAP" on NIL and then determining the amount by conference? For instance, could the SEC set the maximum NIL Cap at 5% of annual distribution (which would be $2,500,000 for SEC teams). Then it would be up to teams how to slot each player into that cap? At least then it would regulate how much a school is giving a player. Is that within the rules of the NCAA (schools paying players out of their member distribution)?

Here are the per school distribution amounts that I was able to find on each conference:
  • ACC - $40.0M
  • B10 - $55.0M
  • B12 - $31.6M
  • SEC - $49.9M
It seems like setting a limit of total spending would be the first step in trying to regulate the current situation. Of course, I realize that NIL is currently done through collectives and not the schools themselves so that would have to change. But there doesn't appear to be any way to really regulate collectives as they operate outside of any organized purview other than the IRS. Players could still get money from companies for advertising or marketing deals, but in terms of "pay for play," they would be subject to the salary cap for each conference.

Once a cap was set, you could implement a minimum allotment of 0.5% or something for every player and then let the schools determine how they want to allot the rest. For SEC schools, that would mean every scholarship player would receive $12,500 per year minimum.

Thoughts?

And yes, I know there's probably a lot wrong with this idea. I'm just throwing it out there as a discussion starter.

Here's the link to the SEC payout from last year:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News