ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE Let's talk quarterbacks

JedMay

Pillar of the DawgVent
Staff
May 24, 2021
Let's try to break this down.

Julian Lewis has reclassified to 2025. That leaves him and Ryan Montgomery as the unquestioned top 2 quarterback targets in the class.

Lewis seems to be a tier above Montgomery as far as the board goes. The question is, how much? Would they turn Montgomery down or slow play him in the hopes of landing Lewis? If that's the feeling the Montgomery family gets coming out of their visit this weekend, I expect Montgomery to commit to either Florida or South Carolina next month when he's planning on committing.

On the other hand, Georgia could tell Montgomery he has the green light to commit at any time. It's not a stone-cold lock that he'd choose Georgia anyway. If he does, that of course could affect how the Lewis family sees things.

There is also the added wrinkle of 2026 QB Jared Curtis. As we reported last night, the talented signal caller from Nashville is planning to commit within the next month or so. He visited Georgia this weekend, is heading to Ohio State this weekend, and then will decide between the two schools.

Curtis told me last night that Kirby Smart told him he can commit whenever he wants. So we know that. Does the Lewis decision change his calculus? Does Curtis swing more towards Ohio State thinking that Georgia will put all its eggs in the Lewis basket? Curtis did say last night that he wouldn't care even if Georgia adds two 2026 quarterbacks, that he's all about competing. We'll see.

Montgomery and Curtis, at least right now, are set to come off the board in the next few weeks. I expect Lewis' recruitment to at least go deep into the summer if not into the fall and potentially until Signing Day.

It's going to be very, very interesting to see how the dominoes continue to topple in the next few weeks. We'll bring you the most up to date information as we get it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News