ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE ****Live from Butt-Mehre....Tuesday practice report****

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
Hello everyone.
We got to watch 15 minutes today. The intensity was definitely up; not sure if this qualified as Bloody Tuesday, but the tempo and everything else about the session was certainly ramped up today.
Here's what I saw.

...There was a special guest at practice today ... former Georgia Tech head coach Geoff Collins, who was on the sideline observing practice today.
...For the 15 minutes we were out there, this is what the first- and second-team offensive lines looked like:
First Team - LT Austin Blaske, LG Xavier Truss, C Sedrick Van Pran, RG Tate Ratledge, RT Amarius Mims.
Second Team - LT Earnest Greene, LG Michah Morris, C Jared Wilson, RG Dylan Fairchild, RT Chad Lindberg

...Watched the QBs for the while. While we were there it was Carson Beck, Brock Vandagriff, and Gunner Stockton taking reps in that order.
...Spent a few minutes watching Dominic Lovett and RaRa Thomas. Lovett is quick as a hiccup; you can see why he's getting so many rave reviews. Thomas is actually bigger than I thought, and wearing No. 5, AD Mitchell's old number.

Speaking of numbers; we got the official list for all the newcomers

0 - Roderick Robinson
4 - AJ Harris
5 - RaRa Thomas
5 - Raylen Wilson
6 - Dominic Lovett
7 - Lawson Luckie
8 - Joenel Aguero
9 - Justyn Rhett
10 - Tyler Williams
13 - Zeed Haynes
17 - Anthony Evans III
26 - Sam M'Pemba
29 - Gabe Harris
31 - Smoke Bouie
35 - Damon Wilson II
44 - Jordan Hall
55 - Jamaal Jarrett
57 - Monroe Freeling
70 - Joshua Miller
88 - Pearce Spurlin

...Speaking of Spurlin; did not see him at practice today.
...Again on the OLBs, freshman Gabe Harris, Sam M'Pemba, and Damon Wilson are three impressive-looking dudes. This is going to be quite the trio once they learn the system.

pics.jpg
From L-R; Sam M'Pemba (26), C.J. Madden (16), Gabe Harris (26) and Damon Wilson (35)

More to come:

JED MAY

I didn’t see freshman tight end Pearce Spurlin out at practice during the media viewing period.

I did, however, see a few other dignitaries. Former Georgia Tech head coach Geoff Collins was in attendance, as were former offensive linemen Warren McClendon and Warren Ericson.

The quarterback rotation went Carson Beck, Brock Vandagriff, Gunner Stockton.

The receivers and DBs were engaged in a tackling drill when the media appeared. Malaki Starks had a nice tackle during one rep. Julian Humphrey, however was told “get your ass up there” by defensive backs coach Fran Brown. Brown later pulled Humphrey aside for more instruction after a tackling rep later on.

Freshman receiver Anthony Evans made a nice play to break a tackle during that drill as well.

The receivers then moved on to catching passes and running through a chute. At one point Smart remarked, “The ball’s all over the place.”

When the running backs ran through the same drill, Dell McGee told Roderick Robinson he was “too square” as he went through.

The first team offensive line from left to right appeared to be Austin Blaske, Xavier Truss, Sedrick Van Pran, Tate Ratledge, Amarius Mims.

The second-team unit went Earnest Greene, Micah Morris, Jared Wilson, Dylan Fairchild, Chad Lindberg.

Monroe Freeling
appeared to be working at third-team left tackle.

Stacy Searels yelled at Aliou Bah after one rep. I couldn’t hear what he was saying on the other side of the field, but he looked displeased to say the least.

Dillon Bell and RaRa Thomas had drops during the routes on air toward the end of the viewing period. Thomas went with the third or fourth group of receivers in the drill.

PATRICK GARBIN

For the opening observation period, I watched a multi-unit drill being overseen by Kirby Smart involving a quick pass from rotating quarterbacks. Among the defenders, David Daniel-Sisavanh looked quick, sharp, as did newcomers Joenel Aguero and Justyn Rhett. Aguero, who was considered one of the nation’s top safeties for the 2023 class, seems to be a real physical player while possessing fast closing speed. Impressive.

IMG_2792.jpg

I was also impressed with fellow early enrollees Jordan Hall and Jamaal Jarrett along the defensive line. Paired together for the drill I observed, Hall and Jarrett seemed to be hanging in there pretty well for a couple of newcomers in only their fourth practice. Jarrett is massive! To me, he looks bigger than his listed weight of 350. Still, the big guy seems noticeably quick on his feet—especially for his large size.

At one point, Smart hollered to Jarrett that he needed “a quick rep.”

Although Chidrea Uzo-Diribe had to speak to him directly a couple of times during a drill, freshman linebacker Sam M’Pemba has caught my eye in both the practices we’ve observed so far. M’Pemba looks as athletic as anyone else at his position group—at least today he did.

During practice, Smart repeatedly asked the team if they wanted “to eat off the floor.” He later curiously added something on the order of “somebody is getting toilet paper tomorrow.” Not sure what he meant.

As we were leaving the field, five quarterbacks were throwing routes to the wide receivers. On a couple of rollout passes, Brock Vandagriff was impressive, threw a really good ball. After the second rep, Mike Bobo directed Vandagriff on his ball placement before passing: “Brock, put the ball here (shows with hands)—not here (different position).” On his next rep, Vandagriff threw a rope to Ladd McConkey. After dropping a pass, Dillon Bell made a nice catch of a long ball.

Attachments

• pics.jpg
    pics.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 4,414
  • IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2792.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,899
Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series